Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lightcycle, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Hoon" around the lake. Must be Canadian speak, eh? Looks like a blast!
  2. IdahoGaucho

IdahoGaucho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have a great gift of description. I’ve read other descriptions of snow biking but your account is top notch. I’m waiting patiently for the continuing saga of my favorite nomads (snowmads). Thank you so much for sharing your experiences
  3. mattsz

mattsz moto-gurdyist

Oddometer:
    At first glance, I wondered what the heck that front fender was for! Then I read the description... ah, conversion kit! Looks like so much fun!

Really looking forward to more travel adventures... however we are still hanging in Japan! Catch us up, we're not getting any younger! :gerg
  4. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    Awesome post!

Welcome back!
  5. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Winning return post!

Now I have a new bucket list item: Snowbiking...
    MaNDan likes this.
  6. MaNDan

MaNDan 'Old Japanese cycles & '26Chevy truck

Oddometer:
    Neda and Gene: Your series of photos and report on the snowbikes is great. For the past few years, I have been researching the snow bike conversion kits (Timbersled Mountainhorse etc) and watching the many videos, on AdvRider and YouTube. It sure looks like a lot of fun. Could you give us your newbie impressions/comparison of the Husky and KTM & the kits. The cost of the dirt bike plus the conversion to the track/ski seems high, but maybe could have many years of enjoyment with it.
    Dan&Sara and you guys are my favorite Canadians! Eh?
  7. Brucejam

Brucejam n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Gene and Neda,

Been thinking about you guys recently. We’ve ‘talked’ over the last few years and I am finally close to heading North (from New Zealand) and heading into Western Canada, Alaska, and the Yukon, for a ‘while’. I come over here looking at the awesome ride reports up to Prudhoe Bay and Tuk, and saw your thread with some recent traffic. Can’t believe you have ended up in Kelowna! I lived out at Joe Rich (half way up to Big White) for three years, many years ago. Clearly our paths aren’t going to cross in BC this spring, but we will see what the future holds!

Trust your planning for a return to travelling goes well! Catch up with you somewhere!
  8. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yep, we visited Vancouver Island by motorcycle a couple of times. Beautiful area.

We're leaving BC in a couple of days, but we'll probably be back when the trip is over. Already checking out real estate listings! Prices are dropping so fast, who knows, we may even be able to afford a place out here by then! :D
  9. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Tell you the truth, we were trying so hard just to stay on the bikes, I couldn't give you a good comparison of the Husky vs KTM. I stayed on the 450s the whole day, so I don't know what the 350 felt like. Both the Yeti and the Timbersled tracks felt the same...

I'm sure if I went out a few more times and got more experience, I'd start to notice the difference.

And yes, the cost of the kit is high, but the winters are so long! At least this could get you out riding pretty much the whole year!

I talked to another snowbike guy recently and he told me that when he converted from snowmobiling to snowbike, he basically had to say goodbye to his snowmobiling buddies. Snowbikers like to play in the trees where the snowmobilers can't go. Pretty much the same story as ATVs vs dirtbikes...
  10. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We know Joe Rich! We were looking at some property at Black Mountain.
  11. DrSmooth

DrSmooth I am third

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the completion of your Japan trip report. I've enjoyed your writing very much over the years!
  12. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    "Counter-steering works a little bit" Really? WoW.

No stoppies but can they wheelie?
    Great stuff as always Guy's!
  13. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those snow bikes look like something from Hoth! Didn't see any young Jedi out there, did you? Or are the two of you.......???
  14. deersSlayer

deersSlayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is there a version of the video without music? Interested in hearing the motor sounds, RPM, etc.
    cruiserbiker likes this.
  15. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just search for a video on youtube.....
    Pplater and CharlestonADV like this.
  16. usnbeans

usnbeans Steve T

Oddometer:
    I moved to Kelowna last August from Vancouver. Loving the place and looking forward to my first summer. Great riding playground as well
  17. martinz

martinz Runny-nosed Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great description / review of the snow bikes. Admittedly, I have not tried snowbiking, but I do have extensive experience on sleds. Some of the differences that I imagine, you have identified. While sledding is somewhat physically demanding, I can imagine the bikes are much more so. It is fairly common to sled all day, day after day - I wonder how that would go on the bikes? I don't think you mentioned top speed, but I expect the sleds are faster. Sleds can also go two up and carry more kit, and even haul a trailer or another sled in the event of a breakdown. But the bikes, being much more nimble, would be easier to finesse turns, jumps, rooster tail your partner, avoid the oncoming machine on the wrong side of the trail, dig out of the deep snow after getting stuck, load / unload. Thanks again for sharing your experience and all the best as the journey continues!!
  18. blkfd3s

blkfd3s Flowing

Oddometer:
    Both of you are absolutely amazing people.
    LadyFish4 likes this.
  19. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Dark Continent up next, yeehaaaa!
  20. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/394.html

[​IMG]

We're up bright and early to try to make as much of the short daylight hours as possible.

Except that's it's not so bright this morning. A bit overcast and very chilly! Other than the bikers at Izu Skyline, we haven't seen a lot of other motorcycles on the road. Still too early in the season, I guess.

We hop back on the Skyline where it turns into a non-toll road and continue south into the interior of the peninsula. Our bikes take in more twisties in the mountains, but it's nowhere as scenic as the coastline views of the Skyline.

[​IMG]
    Until we see this fantastical structure in front of us! The Kawazu-Nanadaru Loop Bridge!

The high elevation road we're on needs to connect to a smaller one 45 meters below us. The problem is that we're in a narrow valley between two steep mountains and there's only about 80 meters of space to achieve that vertical drop. A ramp of those dimensions would give you a 56% grade, which is venturing into elevator-shaft territory.

So the Japanese engineers have created a circular ramp. In fact, they built two of them, one on top of the other, spiraling down to the valley below. This weird gigantic corkscrew looks so out-of-place set in the middle of the wilderness!

[​IMG]
    The ramp is over a km long!

When you're taking a corner on a motorcycle, typically, you're only ever leaning for the duration of the turn for no more than 180°, which is a hairpin. A popular activity for sportbikers in urban areas is "ramping", where you find a cloverleaf ramp on the highway system to get your lean on. But still, the turns are at most 270° before you need to straighten out and zoom over to the next ramp.

The Izu Loop Bridge is a 1080° turn - three full circles, ultimately spitting you out in the same direction you went in at! It feels so weird leaning a bike for over a kilometer! If there's no traffic in front of you and you keep a constant speed, you don't even need to provide any additional input at the handlebars to keep that lean angle going for what seems like an eternity! So cool!

Thankfully it's not a toll ramp, because we did it three times! Once going down, then back up and then down again! Each time going a bit faster to get a more entertaining lean angle out of the bike... :D