Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lightcycle, Aug 1, 2012.

1. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    There does seem to be a recurring theme, doesn't it? Here's a preview of our new blog site: SurfDOT.com

[​IMG]
  2. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    This upcoming season should be [​IMG]

:clap
  3. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The sun comes out while we eat lunch. The rocky shore is too enticing for Neda to pass up. After lunch, she drags me out for a hike
  4. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought my Epic pass earlier this week.
  5. AlbaLife

AlbaLife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Loving the pictures and narrative, keep it going it's giving me inspiration ...

One question I would love answered or please direct me if it has been answered, what motorcycle clothing do you use/ recommend?

Thanks
  6. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Japan looks interesting... :evil
    ridgerunner1061 and ross like this.
  7. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Helmets

[​IMG]

We prefer modular helmets. I have a Schuberth C3 Pro, Neda has a Shoei Neotec.

The nice thing about modular helmets for touring is that you can flip them up when you need to show your face to border guards and police, or when you want to talk to people at gas stations or at the side of the road, all without taking your helmet off.

You can also eat and drink on the road, take pictures with a full-body camera (the kind you look through an optical viewfinder with), all without having to waste time removing your lid.

[​IMG]

Another nice feature is that sometimes you are just trundling along in town at scooter-speeds, so you can flip the chin bar up and ride it like a three-quarter helmet. That way you can get some air and also eat some bugs as well if you're hungry.

Our helmets have an integrated sun visor which flip up and down, so you don't have to stop to put on/take off shades or replace your clear visor with a tinted one and vice versa.

Jacket/Pants

We wear mesh gear. We've used BMW Airflow suits as well as REV'IT! Airwave and Tornado jacket and pants.

We like having gear that is specifically suited to the weather and climate that we're riding in, rather than have one heavy suit with all the features built in that you have to wear all the time.

If it's hot, we just wear the mesh layer. If it gets cold, we can wear a sweater underneath. If it gets really cold, we can wear a windbreaker over the mesh and base layers. If it rains, we can wear a rainsuit over the mesh. It's all about being comfortable all the time.

[​IMG]

The nice thing is that all the extra layers can be worn off the bike as well: base layers, sweaters, rain jackets can all be used when you're walking around town. So it's not too much wasted space in the panniers.

Boots

I wear BMW All-Rounds, Neda wears Sidi All-Road. Both are Gore-Tex and completely waterproof which is the most important feature for us.

I like the All-Rounds because they're super comfortable for riding and walking around in. Neda likes the Sidis because of the velcro buckles. :)

[​IMG]

Rain Gear

We ride in the rain a lot. Like... A LOT. So we've tried pretty much everything and realized quickly that rain gear, like boot soles, brake pads and tires, are wear items. Depending on how much use they get, they'll inevitably lose their waterproofing over time and that you're going to have to replace it regularly.

Right now, I'm on my third BMW Rainlock Jacket of the trip. Neda is wearing a Dainese rain jacket. A good trick we've learned is that some bicycle gear can be used as motorcycle gear and it's cheaper as well. We're both wearing MEC Drencher Rain Pants for cyclists, which are half the price of similar motorcycle rain pants! And they last quite a long time as well.

[​IMG]

For gloves, we like the Aerostich Triple-Digit covers - again with the layering! Rain gloves are the quickest item that lose their waterproofing because of all the use, articulation and seams involved. We cycle through them pretty regularly. I've tried the dual-layer rain gloves as well, but if you're taking them on and off in the rain (like at the gas station), once you get that inside layer wet, it's basically game over for dry hands.

The Triple Digit covers eventually lose their waterproofing at the seams, but they last longer than dedicated rain gloves and they aren't that expensive to replace.

Electric Gear

If it gets really cold, we have Gerbing electrically heated jacket liner and gloves. They plug right into a 12V socket installed on your bike. We've ridden in -15°C (5°F) weather with the electrics cranked up, they're great!

[​IMG]
  8. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you use any kind of communicators or do you just use telepathy?
  9. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Communications

We rely on mental telepathy to communicate with each other on the motorcycles.

[​IMG]

Communications via this method is half-duplex. There can only be a single Sender and a single Receiver. It is very important that the Sender and the Receiver both believe that Telepathy is possible. Even if the belief is not 100%, an open-minded attitude is a must. In fact, it is best if the participants not only believe in Telepathy, but also actually deeply desire it to occur. If you are a skeptic, and if the doors of your mind are closed, you will get very poor results.

Telepathy is most effective when the Sender and the Receiver are both totally relaxed physically. Also, being in positive health makes you concentrate better.

With your eyes shut, visualize a very clear picture of the Receiver. Imagine that he is a few feet away from you. Visualize him in full color. Feel that he is actually there. If you want, you can even look at a colored picture of him. This will help you visualize him properly.

Now imagine a silver tube connecting your mind and his mind. This tube is the channel through which your thoughts would be communicated to him. Visualize this tube to be full of energy. Know in your heart that this tube is very effective and will do the job well.

Now imagine that your thoughts are being transmitted through the tube — from your mind to his mind. If you are thinking of transmitting a mental picture of an apple, visualize a bright, red, juicy apple traveling across our tube. Make the picture as vivid as possible. Charge the apple with emotion. Believe that Telepathy is real. Desire that your thoughts reach your friend. Imagine the feeling you will have when you succeed. This is very crucial. Emotions are a very powerful trigger and give excellent results. Very often, Telepathy fails because the thoughts lack emotional charge.

Make sure you do not strain yourself to send the thought. You have to be relaxed and composed.

While you are sending your thoughts, there will be a moment when you will have a strong feeling that the thought has been transmitted. This is an unmistakable feeling that cannot be faked. Whenever you get such a feeling, the job is done. This might take a few seconds to several minutes.

Sometimes we find that communications via mental telepathy can be difficult to establish, or it just may not work at all.

[​IMG]

That's when we use our Sena 20S communicators.
  10. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How disappointing. I use Senna, too. Not that Senna is disappointing because it’s not. I just thought maybe you had some shaolin monk kind of training, after your time in Japan. Maybe we would need to call you “grasshopper” and “lotus blossom” or something cosmic like that. You know, like you are feeling like each others force or something like that. Neat graphics, by the way.
    TwilightZone, ross and btrrtlwtr like this.
  11. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gene That last post about telepathy just great ! Keep them coming thx
  12. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    It's posts like this one that keep me coming back to this road report. Bravo and Thank You! Hugely entertaining.

Wayne
    btrrtlwtr likes this.
  13. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... yeah the graphics are nice too
  14. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    So windy at the tip of the Cape! Large waves slam into the rocks around us

We love the isolation of Shikoku! What a peaceful, laid back island, especially when compared to Honshu. Pilgrims hiking along the side of the road, surf bums out on the beach, virtually no traffic on the road... perfect!
  15. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    I like these little snippet posts. It is like having a meal made out of appetizers. Not filling and keeps you wanting for more. Gives a false sense that you’ve covered so much ground (and days) between posts. :lol3
  16. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement. Finding it a bit difficult to work on the blog.
    B10Dave likes this.
  17. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    I am in awe of your journey and even having the energy to write as much as you have.

18. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/400.html

[​IMG]

After our long day on Cape Muroto, we spent the night in an AirBnB in the town of Kitatakamicho, about half-way through Shikoku island.

[​IMG]
    Once again, our bikes have a roof over their heads. Back on the road westwards, we see a cavalcade of sidecars!

The weather is getting warmer. Perhaps it's a combination of us heading further south or the spring season coming into full swing, but we're seeing more motorcycles on the road now. We all wave to each other enthusiastically, happy that we're all able to enjoy being back on two again.
  19. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Continuing westbound, skirting the southern shores of Shikoku

[​IMG]
    After a couple of hours, we end up at the port town of Yawatahama. It's ferry time once again!

Shikoku is the smallest of the four Japanese islands, we were able to traverse it comfortably in a day and a half, mainly because of No Traffic! So nice. Now we're hopping over to the next island: Kyushu! Island hopping is fun!
  20. nccowgirl

nccowgirl something shiny Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoy seeing your post. I thought of you two the other day because the clock turned 555 and I instinctively said ha ha ha!
    Spicciani2 likes this.