Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lightcycle, Aug 1, 2012.

1. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Neda is off to her onsen!

I've read so much about onsens, and the ones I've seen have all been these outdoors natural hot spring pools, but the one in the hotel was just a swimming pool. Well, actually two pools, one hot and the other one VERY HOT! I was the only one in the onsen, so I totally could have brought my camera in and taken some pictures. I might do that next time. Don't get too excited guys, onsens are segregated by sex...

So much to describe about the onsen experience, but I'll do that later when I have some pictures to share. Since Kyushu is actually known for its hot springs, I'm sure all of the places we're going to stay in while on this island will have an onsen. Hmmm... Sneaking a camera into a public bath house... what could possibly go wrong?
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Death by snu snu?
    TOTim and TwilightZone like this.
  3. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Katsumoto(last samurai): I think this is a very good death
  4. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Unlikely, as there is a distinct lack of Amazon-like women in Japan... :patch
    TOTim and garfey like this.
  5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Never really had Japan on my list....now maybe I do :)
  6. AMEretired

AMEretired Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, or is it a lifestyle report or perhaps both? You appear to balance life and sharing very well which is not such an easy thing to do.
    Keep well
    Mike
  7. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    That's a good point. I think the ride becomes a lifestyle when you don't have a home to go back to.

Then all of the mundane, everyday chores like grocery shopping, doing laundry, getting your hair cut, etc. becomes a lot more interesting when you're having to do it in different places, in different languages, and in the context of different cultures.

It's not like you can put all of it off and say, "I'll just get my hair cut after the trip, when I return home"...

Neda's Spanish is pretty good, but more than once she's come out of a hair salon in Latin America not entirely happy and that's when she realizes that her Spanish isn't *that* good...

[​IMG]

Not to mention trying to find a barber in Africa that knows how to cut Asian hair! :lol3
  8. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The next day, we're off to explore this new island! Leaving Beppu, riding past some farmers fields to head south.

In addition to hot springs, Kyushu is also known for agriculture because of its sub-tropical climate. And because of that warm climate, it's the only island where you can motorcycle all-year-round!
  9. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Just outside of Beppu, we stop at the Iwashita Collection (motorcycle museum)

We poked our head inside. The entry fee was a bit expensive and it looked kinda junky from the reception area, so we decided to opt out. Instead, we took the opportunity in the parking lot to admire the mountains of the Oita Prefecture, and also to take off our rain suits, which have been doubling as a cold-protection layer. Because for the first time since we've arrived in Japan, the temperature has hit 20C! YAY!!!! Spring is finally here!
    CowboyFatBob, SmilinJoe, ross and 5 others like this.
  10. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Well I finally caught up with this epic RR. Been reading when I can for at least a couple of months and it's pretty addictive.
    Well written, great photo's and some very witty (and some sh!##y) puns to keep me laughing.
    Looking forward to the updates and if you ever find yourselves on the west coast of Australia feel free to get in touch and we'll see if we can't show you around a bit. :)
  11. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Australia is most definitely on our to-do list!
  12. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gene and Neda, thank you for the update. This is by far the best report on ADV. I understand the difficulty in getting motivated in writing nearly everyday. Please know we do understand the lack of motivation. But what a treat when you do write! The snippets are amazing, thanks for those. Just know we all look forward to your writings. Be safe.
    btrrtlwtr likes this.
  13. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Sweet motorcyle riding in the twisty mountain roads without our bulky overclothes!

[​IMG]
    We are entering the Aso-Kuju National Park, right in the middle of Oita Prefecture.

The road we're on will skirt the eastern edge of Mount Aso, the largest active volcano in Japan, which is in the mountain range that we are seeing in the distance ahead of us. But then we'll veer east, back to the coast. The peaks are magnificent and the plan is to visit Mount Aso on the way back up on the western side of Kyushu. The weather is changing so quickly these days. It might be warm enough in a weeks' time, that we may be able to head up into those mountains... fingers crossed.
  14. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    We stop for a little break next to a little roadside topiary

[​IMG]
    And then back to do more basking in the sun while hitting some twisties. What glorious weather we're having!
  15. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is. Absolutely the. Best way. to receive. your ride. reports.
    2 pictures. per day. STOP
    No, I mean keep going! You'll win this race Mr tortle.
  16. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Glorious weather? With you two? The rain magnets? I sure hope it continues. But the track record isn’t promising.

Appreciate the time you’ve taken to post these update. Thanks
    Spicciani2, Mofrid and DunkingBird like this.
  17. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Another pitstop

[​IMG]
    This time at some kind of mini-farm, they had horses, goats and many dogs.
    We saw a bag of sardines lying around, so we took a few fishies and fed them to the doggies

Good thing Neda has no tankbag on this motorcycle, otherwise it'd be more than just sardines that she'd be stealing...
    dickosaurus, DaleE, SmilinJoe and 4 others like this.
  18. Sinnergy

Sinnergy Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    ...And some jealousy over how you sport that fanny-pack. Wish they would come back into social-acceptability here.

Thanks for the updates.
    Nor Cal Endurorider and Mofrid like this.
  19. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Haha, truthfully I would have preferred a tank bag, but I didn't want to buy one just for this leg.

When I first started motorcycling, there were a few things I swore I wouldn't get caught dead with:

- fannypack
    - flip-up helmet
    - fluorescent gear
    - riding a big touring bike (RT or Goldwing)

[​IMG]

Oh well.
  20. Rednaxs60

Rednaxs60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Very jealous. So much to see and so little time.

Know how you feel about what you would not do, said the same about pulling a trailer behind my Goldwing (wouldn't do it) and the other half agreed. Went to the Yukon this past summer, bought a trailer for the trip and it was a great addition for extended touring.

Ride safe. Cheers