1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lightcycle, Aug 1, 2012.

1. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    "Those patio lanterns
    Lighting up our lives"
  2. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Browsing through all the tourist trinkets for sale under the coloured lights of the outdoor shopping centre
    B10Dave, TwilightZone, mikegc and 4 others like this.
  3. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Serious question. Given Japan’s history with China, did you see much/any stuff that was made in China? What about Korea? Who seemed to be the foreign manufacturers of choice? Just curious. Thanks.
  4. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    We didn't do a lot of shopping, so I couldn't say definitively.

The stuff in the places that we went to, like the tourist trap markets, ¥100 Yen shops (dollar stores), Daiso, ie. all the lower-priced stuff, they're all made in China.

We went to Akihabara (electronics district in Tokyo) and most of the Japanese brands (Nikon, Sony, etc) are made all over Asia. High-end pro Nikon bodies are still made in Japan, but most of the consumer-grade bodies are made in Thailand. Nikkor glass is made in China. Pretty much all Sony products are made in China.

I believe that a lot of the war-time/conflict animosities only last a generation. Then market forces quickly take over.

My grandfather suffered greatly under the brutal Japanese-occupation of Malaysia during the end of WWII. He hated the Japanese and vowed never to buy a product made in Japan. He always drove a European car. When my dad and his other siblings bought Japanese cars out of economic necessity, he wasn't very impressed.

My Jewish friends tell me that their parents and grandparents who lived during the time of the Holocaust boycott German-made products, especially those associated with the Nazi party, even to this day. However, these same friends who are my age see no problem in driving a BMW or a Benz themselves, so that kind of animosity seems to be generation-specific.
  5. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    There's even a temple behind the shopping centre. With a golden cardboard buddha cutout! :)
    B10Dave, TwilightZone, MrMac and 4 others like this.
  6. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    And of course, the line of requisite vending machines
    ross, thwak, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  7. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    We've stayed out way too late and now we have to find a place to sleep. Neda checks online to find nearby accommodations
    ross, chilejack, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  8. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I just stopped by for a pun.
  9. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    It's after dark as we pull into a suburb on the outskirts of Hiroshima. We find a youth hostel, that's a bit more modern than the ryokans that we've been staying in lately.

[​IMG]
    It's typical budget accommodations, dorm-style rooms and shared bathrooms. Good enough for the 10 or so hours we'll be staying for!
    MrMac, ross, mikegc and 2 others like this.