Quitting my job to travel the world

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by atravelingteacher, Jun 2, 2019.

1. atravelingteacher

atravelingteacher A Traveling Teacher

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

New to the forum.

Wanted to introduce myself and start my thread about traveling the world, as this journey will begin in July.

I have been wanting to do long term travel for a while, but last summer was when it really clicked how I wanted to do it.

I bought my '06 V-Strom in October, and have been slowly adding parts to it ever since.

It has been really fun getting used to the bikes intricacies, and I look forward to sharing my progress with all of you!

I have started a blog that is still in the works at:

www.atravelingteacher.com

Yes, I gave up my position as a middle school math teacher to travel for possibly 3-5 years, maybe more.

I look forward to growing with you all!

Pete

Attached Files:

2. EidolonAK

EidolonAK n00b

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Safe travels. I'm actually doing the same thing. I plan on leaving July 2020 from Alaska. My son graduated this year and my friend's daughter graduates next year. Maybe our paths will cross and we can share our adventures.
    Romet and X-wing fighter like this.
  3. M.Mars

M.Mars híppos leukós

Oddometer:
    Nice!!! Good luck.
  4. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    That would be real cool!
  5. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  6. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    So this past April I did a mock trip around New England.

IMG_1683.jpeg

Before I left, I noticed a big dry crack in the front tire.

I took this opportunity to see if I could replace the tire with the tools I would have on the bike, and even balance out the tire while it is on the axle.

IMG_1375.jpeg

It worked like a charm and I was very happy about that. Even after about 1,000 miles driven, there is no shake in the front tire.

IMG_1376.jpeg

Quick oil change and both valve stems being replaced, I was on my way.

It was very nice getting used to the new bike and the weight on the back.

I wasn't expecting the trip to be as cold as it was.

I bought the Klim Kodiak Jacket and pants, and could not be happier with how they held up in 30* weather.

I have since used it in some hotter conditions, and the vents are in really good spots to keep you cool. Worth every penny I spent on the pair (lots of pennies).

I made it to Phillips, Maine by 9:30 PM, and spent the night cooking and relaxing for the morning ride. My plan was to go through Rangeley and over to New Hampshire, where I had a hostel booked for a night next to the Kancamangus Highway, a windy 55 mile road with nothing except some really nice views and mountains all around.

After some chain snags I spent a day fixing, I decided to stay in Phillips an extra day and enjoy the views.

IMG_1697.jpeg

Continued in next post...
  7. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Maine has some amazing views to admire, unfortunately my GoPro wasn't set up properly for the roads, but I got some photos walking around town.

GPTempDownload 4.jpg

The Rangeley area has some real sights, coming up Rte 17 and going up over the hill, only to see nothing but mountain tops was a real treat.

GPTempDownload 5.jpg

GPTempDownload 7.jpg

I made it to the White Mountain Hostel, left for the Kancamangus the next morning.

It started drizzling, but I didn't think much of it, until I got a couple miles into the Kanc.

The slight rain turned to wind and snow, and the ground was pretty slick. I decided to keep going, I just wouldn't accept the fact I might have to turn around.

55 Miles is a long stretch of curved roads when you are doing it at 7 mph, but regardless it was a great lesson in how to ride on slick roads.

I finally made it out of the thick of it, and it started to pour.

I was on my way to Burlington, Vermont, but the weather forecast seemed to get worse.

I decided to cut my trip short, realizing I had learned so much from those 5 days of riding and fixing the bike. I was very happy with my trip and decision to return home.

If I was on the road and the weather was bad, I would simply stay in one place until the weather got better. But for a mini trip it was really nice to experience what I had.
  8. TropicalDale

TropicalDale The Adventures of Peter Pan

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    atravelingteacher likes this.
  9. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Some Chain and Sprocket replacement! I haven't done this before so it is nice to learn this part of the bike. Have put about 500 miles on it over the last week, and been tightening it daily until it sets.

Engine Crash guards, MoskoMoto Tank bag, and barkbusters installed.

Pretty much only thing left is skid plate, which I was waiting until I did the sprockets to put on.

Two weeks left of work! Seems very surreal, the trip is coming up quick!

Attached Files:

SmilinJoe and Davidprej like this.
  10. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @EidolonAK July 2020 is looking like when I'm heading out of Alaska as well! The job I'm in ends somewhere between 1 May and 1 July next year. My trips this summer are test rides to get the gear and bike right for a long term trip!
  11. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Attached are the stops I'm going to make along the way in the United States. I want to hit any National Parks I can.

I will take the coast of California down to San Diego to visit my brother, then head over to Arizona before going down to Mexico.

From Massachusetts to San Diego I would like to do it within 1 month, due to a gathering at my brother's I would like to attend.

I am looking at about 200-300 miles per day depending on conditions etc.

Hostels, couchsurfing, and camping will be my main places of rest.

From anyone with experience, what is the best way to get down to Mexico on a motorcycle considering the heat in the Arizona/New Mexico desert?

Some have suggested riding in morning and evening to avoid the daytime, other suggestion?

Potential leave date is July 9th! Getting very close!
    Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 4.53.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 4.59.28 PM.png
  12. Dr. Monkey butt

Dr. Monkey butt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks fun, let me know when you get to Ft. Collins and I'll show you around. Drove through mexico last year in july also so if you want any info on that I can help.
  13. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Sounds great!

I have a buddy in Ft. Collins so I'll be there for a few days at least! Would be great to hear your experiences
  14. LostWoodsADV

LostWoodsADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Yellowstone, you should head Northwest into Washington state. There is a lot of beautiful county to see over there. Then travel south through Oregon. You should also consider either taking the Pacific Coast Highway all the way through California, or at least hit a large portion of it. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. I am sure a lot of people can attest to taking the PCH. It would be cool for you to travel the length of the West Coast since you are from the East. Plus, Interstate 5 southbound is the most boring, deadest, mundane stretch of highway once you get out of Northern California.

Just some food for thought. It might be worth looking into.
  15. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Very good thoughts, thank you for the input! Much appreciated. I will definitely take the PCH all the way down if that is the case.

I will have to make a game-time decision on Washington state, depending on time I have before having to be in San Diego.

Thanks again!
    LostWoodsADV likes this.
  16. cdj

cdj n00b

Oddometer:
    Retired from teaching recently and riding the west coast into Mexico in August...on a vstrom . Older people tell me the same thing : Go now while you still can !
    Have a great trip !
  17. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    You as well!
  18. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    It was time to say goodbye to my fellow co-workers yesterday!

I am so grateful for them and the time we spent working together for 2 years. It is surreal now that I won't be returning to teaching for a while, and I know it'll be even more so come the end of August.
    IMG_0080.jpg
    I'm heading up to New Hampshire tomorrow for a camping trip on the bike.

I'm really liking these small trips to get a hang of what I'll need and want on the road. I have felt much more comfortable and confident on the bike and working on it these past couple months.

Here are some pictures of the camping spot! A real hidden gem.
    IMG_0070.jpeg IMG_0071.jpeg
  19. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds great, you are taking the exact right approach, several small tune-up trips to get things figured out.

If you decide to get back into teaching when you finish your trip, I think your new experiences and perspective will make you an incredible educator.
  20. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Very true! Even with the traveling I've done in the past it always offered good lessons for the students.