Quitting my job to travel the world

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by atravelingteacher, Jun 2, 2019.

1. atravelingteacher

atravelingteacher A Traveling Teacher

Oddometer:
    Trip time is almost here! I have recognized I need a new clutch before putting all these miles on the bike, it is giving me intermittent issues and I'd like to get it done before I leave in a few days.

Any suggestions or experiences with doing the clutch would be appreciated!

Once the clutch is resolved the first stop is Stamford, New York!Trip time is almost here! I have recognized I need a new clutch before putting all these miles on the bike, it is giving me intermittent issues and I'd like to get it done before I leave in a few days.

Any suggestions or experiences with doing the clutch would be appreciated!

Once the clutch is resolved the first stop is Stamford, New York!
  2. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Clutch fixed!

I made a rookie mistake of snapping one of the clutch spring bolts, and it took a couple days to get a new one. But with the learning curve I really enjoyed working on it!

The metal plates were grooved out pretty bad, and definitely causing the intermittent problems. Riding it again it feels like a new bike.

Looks like my departure date is this Monday!

Attached Files:

SmilinJoe and Davidprej like this.
  3. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Ok folks! I hit the road a few days ago, and I couldn't be any happier. Seriously. Stopped by my buddy's house in Connecticut on my way to New York. He showed me some great backroads around the area that were a lot of fun!
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    I arrived to Stamford, NY, where I was greeted by 7 dogs and a really great view. The family I was going to see were friends of a coworker. They welcomed me with an amazing meal and great conversation. They showed me their simple way of life, and I spending time with them warmed my heart.
    IMG_0227.jpeg IMG_0229.jpeg IMG_0208 2.jpeg
    Dennis took me on the ATVs to explore the mountain. The view that overlooked the town was breathtaking. Their home was beautiful, and it was too nice of a night to stay inside. I set up camp at the base of their 250 acre plot, and enjoyed the full moon and howling coyotes.
    IMG_0223.jpeg IMG_0206.jpeg
    Dennis, Martha, Cathy and Barbara seriously started my trip off just right. The hospitality they showed me was truly something unforgettable. I can only hope I can repay them in some way in the future.
  4. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many miles does the vstrom currently show on it?
  5. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Vstrom has 45k on it!

Themastermike likes this.
  6. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Ok I've finally had some time to sit for a day or two. I realize now meeting up with friends by August 7th meant pretty much non stop riding for many days, but I learned a lot along the way.

Mammoth Cave National Park was a spot I camped at for the night, and I decided to go on an evening ride to check out the area. I stumbled upon this horse ranch where I took the first attached picture.

IMG_0308.jpeg

I have much better control on the bike, even on dirt roads and rain, things I hadn't experienced much of before my trip.

My trip through the middle of the country was something I had never experienced before. Just miles and miles of fields!

IMG_0365.jpeg IMG_0368.jpeg

It was amazing in its own way, but I'm a real mountain guy, so it was nice to make it out to Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah.

Tomorrow I will post my experiences in these places!
    td63, SmilinJoe, motocopter and 4 others like this.
  7. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Colorado was amazing! I had the chance to ride through some serious mountain passes, rain and all, and I was super stoked about it. The quick elevation changes were exhilarating, and the views were just out of this world.

I had the chance to make chocolate from raw cacao beans with my friend in Paonia. He's got some serious ideas for how to start his business and what to add to the chocolates, so it was really nice learning the process from him, and even trying it out for myself!
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    From there I headed to Fort collins for a few days before I went up to Wyoming.
    IMG_0478.jpeg IMG_0477.jpeg
    Kebler Pass on the way to Fort Collins was the longest stretch of dirt road I had done on the bike fully loaded. I got the hang of it pretty quick, and 55 miles felt really good on the dirt. There were some sketchy loose spots, but overall I got some good experience from it.

IMG_0520.jpeg
  8. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    I visited Jackson Hole, Wyoming and then up Grand Teton National Park.

Jackson hole was neat because there were no high rises taking away the view of the mountains, the town has done a great job of making the mountains the main view point, and how could they not?!

IMG_0570.jpeg

Stopped into the brewery in town for some tacos and a beer, then made my quick half hour trip to the mountain.

I had just pulled into the visitor spot for the campground to check for any openings, when this older man comes up and asks where I was traveling.

Our quick conversation:

Him: "Hey where are you off to?"
    Me: "All around the world"
    Him: "Wow, well I've got an extra tent spot at my sight if you need it follow me."

I followed him to the camp spot where we enjoyed some real conversations about travel and life

IMG_0604.jpeg

He told me some spots to check out, and since my time there was limited, I decided to go take a look that night and the next morning.

Some bison grazing in the fields:
    IMG_0587.jpeg

Jenny Lake the next morning:
    IMG_0611.jpeg

When I got to Jenny Lake, I had a couple older bikers come talk to me, and then even more came. I had about 8 older bikers around me as I told them what my plan was, how I sold everything to travel and they couldn't be happier.

I'll be honest, sometimes there is too much jealousy to have the conversations with people, but these guys were genuinely happy for me. A few of them said I was living out their dream, but they were so supportive and happy about it with no jealousy at all. It felt nice to have these group of guys tell me their stories and about their lives back home.

Til next time!

Pete
    td63, garfey, SmilinJoe and 5 others like this.
  9. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! You are in the adventure now. I crossed into Mexico from Douglas, AZ into Sonora Sept 1st last year. Stayed in the mountains as much as I could all the way south to Panama. It was much cooler but wet. Good luck on your travels!
  10. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

Would love to hear suggestions you have on places to check out. Were there any places on your journey I should avoid in Mexico? I met a cyclist yesterday who said Chihuahua was a place where he witnessed a couple shootings
    95Monster likes this.
  11. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

So I've had my '06 vstrom since last October, and maybe put 3k miles on it before I left for my trip. I didn't notice any burning oil.

I replaced the clutch, and in two weeks I've done 6k miles for my trip.

I noticed once in Kansas that I was down a liter, and figured maybe it was because of the clutch replacement.

I got to San Diego today, and noticed I am probably down another liter.

I don't smell burning oil ever, even when stopped, just seems to be drinking it.

Mostly highway miles doing about 90 with a lot of weight on the bike, maybe this is causing it?

Any ideas?
  12. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn’t have any problems in Mexico. I didn’t go into Chihuahua city but did go to Creel and Copper Cyn! Great riding. Way south, in Chiapas, I heard stories of roadblocks (extortion ropes) on the road to Palenque, so I didn’t go there.

iOverlander app is a great tool south of the border. Not only info on gas, hotels, camping, but users also post trouble spots.
    cdj, atravelingteacher and Davidprej like this.
  13. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is from a Vstrom forum:

Mine was broke in pretty much by the book and I burn hardly a drop. Keep in mind that all engines burn oil...they have to or they'd seize. Well seated rings will obviously lower the oil consumption for any 4 cycle engine. However, assuming we have a good mechanically running engine then what might cause variability in oil consumption? How about rpm and the oil's volatility. The point I'm making with all of my jibberish is that I believe the differing oil consumptions we continue to hear about probably has more to do with how hard the engine is driven along with possibly the volatility factor. However if I had to pick the biggest factor it would be how hard the engine is pushed i.e. RPM.

https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=5412.0

Since you are using oil at a given rate, very important for you to watch the level and make sure it's always topped up.
    atravelingteacher likes this.
  14. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

So a couple years back, I picked up my first hitchhiker in Yosemite National Park. I was wondering where I was going to sleep that night because all the campgrounds were full. We started talking and had really good conversation in the car. This guy Miles hosted me in his home just outside the park, and we have since kept in touch.

So I reached out to him, and he is now in Moab Utah.

I spent a couple days there and we explored some pretty cool stuff!

I find it pretty amazing when there is cold water in these really hot places.

And truthfully, as I was sitting next to this waterfall, my whole trip really sunk in. The fact that I totally uprooted my life and put it on my Vstrom, that I am allowing things to unfold every moment as they are supposed to. I felt total immersion in this simple moment.
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1031.jpg

I ended up camping outside because the stars were just too much to ignore.

In the morning we headed over to Arches for a quick hike and view.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1004.jpg
    Now here is one REALLY important thing I learned!

The first two weeks of the trip I was definitely drinking enough water, but I was still feeling like something was missing. To the point of stomach pains and pretty insane anxiety. I just wanted to sit with it until I figured it out.

When I arrived in Moab, my buddy Miles made a drink with some electrolytes in it, and poured a couple glasses of it. I drank it and within an hour felt like I found the missing link. ELECTROLYTES!

I can't even describe how important I have found them to be on the road. I'm sure there are people on here who can attest to it, but they have been my saving grace ever since.

Anyways, enjoy the pics!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_105c.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep, yep...when you're sweating it up, especially long term, a lot is going out besides water. Knocks you out of whack. Use to work in lumber mill, and my work station by the dryer was 125 F! My boss told me to eat a banana on my breaks and be sure to have a milk or milkshake at lunch.

I've also noted pro tennis players taking one bite of banana at each of their breaks.

Found this on that internet thingy:

"What is the fastest way to replenish electrolytes?
    Next time you're in need of an electrolyte boost, try these 5 foods that replenish electrolytes fast.
    1. Dairy. Milk and yogurt are excellent sources of the electrolyte calcium.
    2. Bananas. Bananas are known to be the king of all potassium containing fruits and veggies.
    3. Coconut Water.
    4. Watermelon.
    5. Avocado."
  16. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    I only recently realized dairy was a great source of electrolytes, and that makes me happy because I drink a lot of it!

125F is hot, man! You must've gotten used to the heat after a while
  17. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    I did! And that was the crazy thing. I'd go outside on break and it was 100, and I thought it was quite refreshing. I'd go home and my wife was sprawled across the couch wiped out from the heat, and I was thinking it was a pleasantly cool evening. Amazing how the body adapts.
  18. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    Agreed!
  19. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I wanted to travel the world I'd do it by boat, since the earth is 7/10's water
  20. atravelingteacher

Oddometer:
    You're not wrong my friend!