R 1100/1150 GS/RT/RS/R/S throttle body repair kit

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dan Cãta, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @heffenut, that one is a standard M4 as I remember. I bet you can put any M4 screw in there, locked on both sides with nuts, in case the thread on the screw does not have the same pitch as the thread on the TB housing metal plate.

Install instructions are available for download here - https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D2331532_08911205_68940

Dan.
  2. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I finally got the kit for my 04 r1150gsa Started the repair but have been rapidly stuck because not being able to remove the screws maintaining the shaft plate from the shaft. The screws are turning but not coming out.
    Any hint before I do something definitely wrong ?
    Thank you all.
  3. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    Weird, never had that happening. Try to push them from the threaded side while turning them, see if that makes them come off.

Dan.
  4. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    Tried that w/o success. I wonder if I could not drill on that side of the screws. No matter if I damage a bit the shaft as it will be replaced ?
  5. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    Sure, try drilling, but not sure if that will work, as the screw is made out of a harder material than the shaft. You will have to be very precise and drill straight along the screws...

Dan.
  6. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    If the hole under the screw head is not threaded but only the second one, drilling on that end of the screw could make it.
    Will keep you informed.
  7. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    Well yes, only half of the spindle is threaded, the other half is 3 mm in diameter, so nothing to keep the screw there.

Dan.
  8. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    I finaly succeded to take off the screws by using a conical grinding wheel instead of drilling.
    Now I struggle with the bushing where the cooper + screw technic didn't work. I will look for a screw extractor .:(
  9. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    ...or a M10 tap, the first one you would use in a set of 3.

Dan.
  10. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    The M10 tap really is the clue. With it, it took me 5 mins to get the bushings off w/o any need to heat the TB.
    Now the TB is fully rebuilt. No more play of any kind. That is great already.
    Tomorrow i will put it back on the bike.
    Thanks Dan for support.:-)
  11. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    Great! Usually I use the broken extractor screw, if that does not work, I go for the tap.

Dan.
  12. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    Ok so the bike is back on the road. No more ticking or chattering on the RH side. The funny thing is that I now hear the LH side, but it is much less loud than the RH side was. So I will wait some time before doing the LH side , for the moment I prefer to ride under sunny weather. The kit is really great. :clap
  13. keza

keza n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Dan,
    Still in business ? I need both sides to my r1100gs 94r. sn: 0059026

Regards
    Kris
  14. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    Sure, I will send you a private message.

Dan.
  15. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    This must be the most worn intake/spindle I have worked on.

[​IMG]

On the other end, the spindle did have some wear, too. It was interesting too see that the butterfly plate also started to move within the spindle, instead of staying locked in it's place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the two screws holding the butterfly plate came off pretty easy, like they were loose tighten... Good thing it got fixed before something bad happened in there...
    So check your intakes and if there is play in the pulley, get yours done now!

Dan.
  16. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2000 1150gs with 15k on it and did the left side cc tensioner which required removing the throttle body. I guess I may have hamfisted it somehow (even though I was concentrating on being gentle) when I moved the throttle body out of the way. I now rattles like an SOB at idle when I start it. Thought it was valves at first but when I stick my finger on the round plate the cable is on, rattle stops. Can this happen at such low mileage?
  17. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    It can happen irrespective of mileage, because it depends on where the bike was mostly used, like in a city where the throttle sees a lot of action, resulting in wear, or for touring, where the throttle stays pretty much fixed for longer periods of time.

So, throttle wear does not necessary depend on bike mileage, but on how often you twist the wrist :)

Dan.
  18. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it. Seems to mostly have done a bunch of sitting at this mileage. I did also lift the back of the tank about 5 inches to install a GPS to battery. Might I have kinked a cable possibly?
  19. Dan Cãta

Oddometer:
    No, cables are not related to wear. What wears are the bushings and the spindles.
    Once new ones get installed, meaning that you fit the kit, you get a different new bike :)

Dan.
  20. Aventeren

Aventeren Did It: US to Ushuaia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy, Dan; I'm interested in buying a TB rebuild kit. Can you please DM me?

Thanks,

Aventeren