R.M.T.A. - Rocky Mountain Trials Association

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brake, Apr 23, 2010.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Are there any general restrictions for trail riding in the CO right now? We are headed for the Taylor area in a few weeks. Haven't seen anything online about closures because of fire hazard?
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    Best thing to do is find out what the nearest USFS ranger station is to where you're going to be riding, then give them a call. Fire restrictions are changing day by day right now.
    Glad to hear sledgehammer got the green light - pretty sure trials riders are some of the most responsible land stewards around!
    2whlrcr likes this.
  4. velocityjunky

velocityjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it was my first trials and had a ton of fun! Cleaned 6 tests in the amatuer class, cant wait to learn more!
    grizCP, mmanniko, jonnyc21 and 3 others like this.
  5. ster1

ster1 “Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

Is anyone planning on going to the meet this weekend in Gunnison? This will be my first for RMTA and I could use some pointers on what to expect.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lucky you, our vintage club is having a trials there next weekend too. If you catch the fever or just want to ride with a low key FUN club. Modern bikes are welcome. http://mtwestvintagetrials.org/calendar/
    Brewtus and ster1 like this.
  7. ster1

Oddometer:
    I wish I could, but this weekend is my window of opportunity. My bike is liquid cooled and mono shock, but I’m air cooled and have 2 shocks, so maybe I’ll catch the next one :)
  8. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm headed that way in about an hour from the Albuquerque area, be in Gunnison near 5. White Ford Transit, Montessa 300rr, I should be at Hartman Rocks around 8 am or so in the morning. Plenty of good people up there for pointers.
    Brewtus likes this.
  9. ster1

Oddometer:
    I came home last night. I had a great time, learned a lot, about myself mostly, and met some really cool people. I biffed it hard on section 7 and couldn’t finish the loop, but I can’t wait for the next one!
    lineaway likes this.
  10. XR Joe

XR Joe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, ster1, I think I pitted next to you--I have a GasGas Contact and a blue F-150. You were gone when I finished my last loop and wondered how you did. I cleaned a bunch of sections, but also went over the handlebars in loop two's section six. I didn't stick around for the results, but am very curious.
  11. ster1

Oddometer:
    Hey there Joe! Sorry to hear you had a rough time. This was my first meet, and initially I had let all kinds of self doubt get in my head, and I was having a terrible time. That’s when I was taking a break there in the shade by our trucks. I got that crap out of my head and went back out and cleaned a few sections myself, but I guess I got a little whiskey throttle on 7 and fell on the rock with my elbow, and banged it up a bit, and bent up my shifter. I’m glad though. I was in the right head space when I crashed on 7, and that’s better than what I had done earlier, which was lousy. Anyway, glad to meet ya, and I hope to see you out there again.
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    First event, what class did you ride? Not the one you should have sandbagged in. Ya, this is actually more mental. Seems like your attitude is good. Good luck in the future events! Turning is what kills everyone. The bikes will go up and over anything. Now I wished I had made it too. A new fire has started and could cancel our next event.
  13. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Make some time next weekend for the same location. You WILL have a good time.
    I guarantee it. :thumb
    10K and lineaway like this.
  14. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    It seems easier without the ribbon.
  15. ster1

Oddometer:
    That’s a great idea. I may actually do just that.
    Brewtus and lineaway like this.
  16. XR Joe

XR Joe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I had a great time--not a rough time. It felt weird being a 57 year old novice, but that's probably the right class for now. Some cleans, but some fives and lots of threes, too. As Lineaway mentioned, the turns were killing me. Hopefully I'll see you at Volcano Gulch in September.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  17. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a very humbling sport. You have to take the time to learn the basics. But this crazy sport can give back more than you ever imagined. Being able to go places unimaginable to most people is just the tip of the ice berg. The best part is it requires so much concentration you forget about everything else in this world. Well at least for a day!
    NMTrailboss, Mike D, TXNMGUY and 4 others like this.
  18. NØRU

NØRU n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm new to the RMTA and trials itself and also find it very challenging in the Novice class. I was unable to attend Gunnison last weekend but had a great time at Sledgehammer Gulch where I was able to complete my two loops. I find the more time spent riding and less video watching is helping with my comfort level. Being 55 and not being on a bike in 30 + years, the physical recovery time is still taking several days. Hope to see you soon.
    Buschog likes this.
  19. XR Joe

XR Joe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brewtus and grizCP like this.
  20. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Link: 2019 RMTA Schedule

FYI - we are investigating the possibility of making Thorpe Gulch a 2-day and dropping the final Turkey Rock. But for now, plan on spending some quality time in Howard, CO this year! Also, the TM list is only partially accurate at this time - let Chris H. know if you want to help out with a particular event.