R model - low seat options?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ZiggyInNc, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So there is the Ktm PowerParts low seat and also a seat concepts low seat which is quite a bit more expensive. Has anyone tried them or any others and what are your opinions on them?
  2. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got the Seat Concepts low seat. Haven’t had a chance to ride with it yet, but it is about 1 inch lower than stock (I can touch a bit better but it isn’t dramatically lower). I don’t think it is practical to get the seat any thinner. See photos below.

92416DF7-4B51-418E-8CE7-CCC1C904DF11.jpeg

53059FA7-CF28-46D5-88A7-0F78D450DD8C.jpeg A6067A03-1367-460E-9865-FACE4BCD037C.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    Look forward to hearing a review of the comfort level. I’m waiting to sit on an R but am sure I’ll need something lower. The S that I demoed was just about at the edge of my comfort level as far as height.
  4. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    Well I bought an R - will try riding it without a lower seat until I get some feedback on the seat concepts seat and the factory KTM low seat. I can get one foot on the ground at a stop so I may just find I’m fine using that method Once I get used to it.
  5. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    460 miles on my R model now and even with my 29 inch inseam I’m so comfortable with this bike that I see no need to lower it or put on a lower seat.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Thats a nice looking seat. In terms of attention to detail (I'm OCD here), if that crooked angle on the stitching near the front ever bothers you, an upholstery shop can pop out the staples and lay it down even for you. Either they'll do it for free if you leave it or $10-20 as you wait. Easy money for them. It's either more photos of your seat on here, or SC's is sending out seats which are crooked up front. Personally, I've installed several of their covers, and their products are amazing. I'd expect more though if they installed that cover that way .. or sewed that applique on an angle.
  7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's just the camera angle.
  8. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s mainly camera angle. The stitching might be very, very slightly off, but I never noticed it until you mentioned it.

However, I was able to ride 180 miles on the SC saddle today. Probably 80 + miles were gravel/dirt forest service roads. Over 6 hours on the saddle. Observations regarding the SC Low saddle:

- it is about 1 inch lower than stock. Not dramatically lower, but noticeable.
    - Foam is thin and pretty firm (I think it has to be firm given how thin the saddle is).
    - I expected the saddle to be uncomfortable and tiring given that it is firmer than stock, but it was reasonably comfortable until around hour 6. That is usually when ANY saddle starts to bother me. I might use the stock saddle for long, multi-day trips.
    - The saddle is a bit finicky to line up and attach to the bike. You have to work with it but it will eventually settle into position.
    - It will definitely be my day-trip and off-road saddle since it is slightly lower than stock.
    TrailTrauma likes this.