R100GS - Sreet tracker / scrambler thing....

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by boxer odyssey, Aug 11, 2009.

1. boxer odyssey

boxer odyssey to excess and beyond

Oddometer:
    A few years back I bought a '92 R100GS as a practicle all rounder for every day use as well as touring.

The bike (was) a realy tidy example of the standard gs with factory panniers and the factory upgrade Whitepower rear shock. Nothing particularily exciting but a great all-rounder.

Over the past 4 0r 5 years I've mucked about with it's appearance a bit trying to make it a bit less dull and "old man BMW" looking. But nothing very serious.

I've always wanted to be able to put it back to standard-ish trim for touring or resale so the mods have been pretty tame/lame.

!st crack at a mod wasto have a crack at repainting the tank - kinda half arsed and crap - and swap the fairing for a single 7" round light and TrailTech Vaypor dash. This looked ok with the Gaston style mufflers and Accerbis gaurds but the big fat seat made the whole thing look a bit half arsed.

This time I'm going for a bit more of a considered approach with a slightly old-school look - tank, seat, lights, carbs and so on...

Attached Files:

2. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Touring with the standard panniers

Attached Files:

3. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Earlier attempt

Attached Files:

4. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Almost there, bit of a tidy up and it'd be alright

there's something about those bikes that I reeeealy like,
  5. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    This is my initial idea - its constantly changing though.

Attached Files:

6. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Another quick scribble

Attached Files:

7. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I've now started the real thing.
    R60/5 tank - requires all the brackets on the side of the top frame rail to be removed and some adjustment of the electrics.

The rear subframe is from a mono lever r80 road bike. It's too long.

Attached Files:

8. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Here you can see my new (used) flat slide Mikunis. mmmm
    And I've cut the subframe to shorten it - BMW are way too practicle in their seat and subframe lengths - they always look too long, i recon.

Attached Files:

9. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I've decided to try some Ventura VH7 bars and a bottom mount 5 3/4" headlight. I had the bars and headlight shell but not the rim powdered black.

Not sure about the bars - I cut 40mm off each side which has improved them but the rise might be a bit much? don't know.
    Might try "drag bars" or the like.

I want to get rid of the massive plastic-toy switch blocks - anyone got sugestions? thought maybe just going for an early '80s set up cause they're a lot better looking and smaller - and I can junk the huge flasher unit - possibly even an under tank master cylinder so It's hidden.
    Maybe old british?

Attached Files:

10. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Headlight mount. Gotta replace that big chrome bolt.

Attached Files:

11. Oscar

Oscar Constant Antagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk
  12. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I'm currently working on the speedo mount. I have a TrailTech Vaypor digital speedo which I've stripped and painted black instead of silver and will mount off the old cable guide lugs on the to tripple clamp. Photos to follow.

Also under way at the moment is my airbox replacement - I'm gonna run K&Ns on the mikunis so don't need the airbox. One thing I don't like on many cafe racer boxers is this area. I don't want to leave the airbox there but unused with open outlets. I looked at using early alloy type airbox and starter cover but that would still have the outlets hanging in the breeze. And I don't want to leave it looking like something is missing by having nothing there.

So I've made a mold and vacuum formed a plastic pattern. This I've trued up with bog and primer etc and is now with the foudery being cast in alloy.
    I'll post more on the process when I get it back and if it's any good I hope to be able to make them for others if anyone wants one. Photos later.

Inside the new cover I'll hide my coil, engine breather and maybe relays - we'll see what suits and fits.

I think I need another wiring loom - I want to chop up the one I have but want have another to replace it if I want to go back again in the future - anyone got one? It's a 1992 R100GS. cheers
  13. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Looking good...keep us informed on the progress.

This is my R65 streettacker - 22 litres is as small as I want to go,so the tank stays.....ditto the big head lamp and indicators,dickheads can see me better.But I'd like to ditch the wobbly instruments,go for something smaller.It got a 2 into 1 and IDSII Supertrapp out the left side last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Nice! I'd love to have a go at building up something like that one day. Keep up the good work & we look forward to further updates. :D

Hey Motu, does the new pipe make the 65 even louder? :evil You realise that a huge posse of cardigan wearing BMW owners will probably be assembling to hunt you down & lynch you for having such a rorty exhaust? They would have very little chance of catching you of course :lol3

Cheers
    Clint
  15. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I measured the old system at 99db (inside the workshop),and the Supertrapp is 97db with 8 plates outside.It's a hell of a difference - I can hear the typical BMW gearbox whine now....I thought mine didn't do that.The Supertrapp is consistent with it's noise,the old mega's got a real snarl on,and a drone at higher revs which used to piss me off.The Supertrapp just growls all the up,and I'm using a lot more revs now,giving it heaps....I think I'm not your usual boxer rider.

It looks suitably rough,and the right hand muffler backwards on the left.It was all finished,and then I took it off the centre stand - duh! Who needs a gut stand anyway?
  16. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Nice job Motu. Bike looks great with that tail piece - be even better if you loose those gauges!

My pipes are pretty loud too - had to shut them up a bit but they're about right now. Good and obnoxious!

Been working on the speedo bracket. Its almost there, needs a final tidy up and paint. The Vaypor gauge looks way less outer place now its black.

Anyone got a spare GS wiring loom they wanna part with? or know where to get a used one? Tryed Motobins, Devon BMW and ebay and tardme but no replys or luck yet.

Attached Files:

17. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Another question for anyone looking - I'm not sure if I'll stay with the TrailTech dash, as i'd prefer a small analogue speedo but can't find the ratio of my speedo drive/speedo anywhere - can anyone help?
  18. Postie

Postie kiwi

Oddometer:
    Have you tried Munich Motorcycles in Perth WA for the loom, I have sourced parts for my 93 GSPD from there.

Ian
  19. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:

Will do, Cheers for that.:beer
  20. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    The rear engine cowl is almost complete now and I thought I'd explain a bit of my process.

I first made an mold of the shape I wanted - less the wall thickness - using templates and continually trying it against the engine for fit. It is important at this point to take into account the shrinkage factor of the cast aluminium (about 1 in 70 I was told - but was a lot more!).

Then from this simple mold I made a casting pattern by vacuum forming abs plastic, trimming it to shape and adding the detail lines on each side with body filler and then finishing it in primer.

The sand cast part was very rough when I got it from the foundery. I first trimmed it to size, then sanded the outside and finally milled the slots, for the engine breather,to match the spacing of those on the starter cover.

I sand blasted it and the starter cover to get the look similar and now have to try and age them to match the rest of the motor.

Next stage is to make the bracket that holds it on and the breather filter and ignition coil in place.

Attached Files: