R100GS - Sreet tracker / scrambler thing....

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by boxer odyssey, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to hijack your thread a bit, I've just put my R80G/S in the NZ Flea Market.
  2. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, at least get it right.
    It's a two piece suit...:rolleyes
  3. boxer odyssey

boxer odyssey to excess and beyond

Oddometer:
    The wiring loom is now finish up to the back of the tank and awaiting the rear section of the bike to be built for the next stage. Probably should have built the rear before starting the wiring but this way is working well so far.

I've spent a couple of hours mocking up the rear end in card.
    I'm looking at using a new-old-stock Hella tail light and a pair of "Dinky winkers" indicators (stupid name! but nice and simple) mounted on an alloy rear guard.

The the battery, and new fuse box and relays, will be housed in a plastic box monted under the seat. I was going to put the battery under the gearbox but, as I plan to ride this through creeks etc, decided to put it up out of harms way.

The seat will be a dual seat in the shape of a flat-tracker-ish style (unless I change my mind again!). I have a nice piece of used leather for the job and will fabricate the base from ally I think.

So I guess I'll draw up the rear subframe around this concept and weld up a prototype from odds and sods then bend the final one up properly once the dimensions are sorted.

Fun and Games!

Attached Files:

4. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Looks great! You in Wellington you say? Looking forward to seeing this one day. :clap
  5. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Had some exciting deliveries in the last week or so which have redirected my attention to the front of the bike.

Fitted now are my new Brembo brake master and Tommaselli clutch assy. and left switch block.

I've also made and fitted the new throttle cables and wired both the left and right switches and added the headlight on/off switch, in the headlight shell. I'm able to use a small switch because it is only triggering a relay.

Attached Files:

6. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    My speedo has arrived! This is the most expensive bit I'm adding.
    It's a Motoscope Tiny from Motogadget in Germany.

http://www.motogadget.com/us/frameset.html

It's a 2" classic-ish electronic speedo with a digital odo and built in idiot lights.
    I chose it as it was a small all-in-one unit and, well, it damn cool!

I'm drawing up the mounting bracket at the moment and will post more when it exists.

Attached Files:

7. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I chose the clutch lever above because it uses a dog-leg lever similar to the brembo brake master and has the cable nipple to fulcrum distance is as close as I could find - 33mm as against 35mm for the BMW.

Thats all well and good but what I didn't take into account was the fact that the BMW lever has an offset fulcrum making it pull more cable than the Tommaselli one. The effect being that the new lever won't disengage the clutch, bugger.

So I have prototyped a shorter gearbox arm and a new cable mount (gearbox end) to give the cable clearance around the gearbox. And it works! although I would prefer it to take up a little further from the bar. Further development needed perhaps - I also have a brembo clutch master that matches the brake master I'm using..........

Attached Files:

8. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    My Bmw clutch lever draws a total of 23mm of cable and the Tommaselli lever only draws a max of 17mm. This evening I turned up a replacement bush for the Tommaselli lever with an offset hole for the pivot. I have moved the pivot by about 1mm but that was enough to draw an extra couple of mm's of cable and, with my short g/box arm, give a respectable take up point for the clutch - as far as I can tell by turning the back wheel by hand with the bike in gear and pulling the clutch lever at the same time.

I think this will do for now.I'll recheck it once the bikes running again and then finish the parts - file, sand, paint etc - but it looks promising.

This new system will at least get me going and give me more time to find a more appropriate lever so I can go back to the origional gearbox arm - hopefully!
  9. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link Mark, I'd seen images of the final bike but not spent any time on his site. Makes my project look like a weekend tart-up!
    I've been spending a lot of time oogling his work. Not to my taste necessarily but he's doing the job properly and with a decent budget too! He needs to get it dirty though.
  10. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Wow that guy really has spent a lot of time on his project. Amazing how driven perfectionists are to get their parts just right. I was pretty happy with his original bike:eek1

I'd hate to think how many hours & dollars went into that baby.
  11. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't have a throttle tube left over after all this that will be for sale would you? I need one for my R80.
  12. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    No sorry mate. I'm hanging on to all the bits I've removed.
    You could try all the Aussie wreckers or Motobins and Motorworks in the UK or older BMW dealerships may have one kicking about. I've also had some good prices out of the US. Freight might be an issue of course.
  13. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Greetings from the far off lands of the ex-colonies....

Just got "referrred" to this thread from over in the Old's Cool section, and have to add that it is just freaking :wings:wings:wings!!!

I have never seen the coils mounted in the ex-airbox, that is hot stuff. I had a /2, and always loved the way the ht's came out of the block on that bike, and you have done it here! My hat is off to some very clever work.

Will keep this thread in my bookmarks, for sure...

:D
  14. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking project you have going there boxer odyssey. Your getting into more details than I'm planning on with my project. Yours will look nicely finished. I really like the rear engine cover you made and can't wait to see what else you come up with.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours on the road/in the dirt. Thanks for posting the link.
  15. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    After a productive couple of days the bike is wearing a new rear subfame. I used 19mm o.d. mild steel tube with 2mm wall. The lower mount ends were salvaged from an old subframe, seen in earlier photos here, sleeved and welded on then ground smooth.
    As you can see in the lower pic. I've bought an ally rear guard blank and am now gonna have to decide on the tail light etc to use so I can cut it to length.
    I have taken a week off work to try and get some headway on the project so we'll see where I get! I would love to finish the electrics but there's a lot of work to do first.

I'll keep ya updated.

Attached Files:

16. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    lookin good. ya gunna ditch the front end.

whats that front wheel in the background attached to
  17. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    thanks to bpeckm for the reference to this thread.

you may want to go ahead and replace the stock coil. it looks like the original that is prone to cracking and leaving you stuck roadside. i learned the hard way and am now running a 10 dollar harley coil that works great.

18. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    No Worries about the coil. it's the later type - not prone to failure and it's in good nick. The earlier ones with the alloy brackets were the troublesome ones I'm told. Mine has the steel bracket.

cheers - I'm off to the water cutters to collect my speedo mount now.
  19. baldwithglasses

baldwithglasses Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer:
    Nice job for a danged Ozzie yabbo.
  20. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    looks really good, mate.