R100GS - Sreet tracker / scrambler thing....

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by boxer odyssey, Aug 11, 2009.

1. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Them's fightin' words! (Check your map!)
  2. boxer odyssey

boxer odyssey to excess and beyond

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think?

Now I know you yanks have only recently noticed that the world doesn't stop at your borders but please check a map. New Zealand and Australia are actually seperate countries and have about 1400 miles of ocean between us. We enjoy a similar relationship to you and your northern neibours. We get on but like to mock each other at every opportunity.

All good, cheers for checking out the thread.
    :beer
  3. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Sorry dude missed your post.
    I'm gonna leave the front end alone at the mo - other than to make a new stiffer cast alloy fork brace.
    I've already put progressive spings in them and added a four pot brembo calliper.
    See what the future holds - I might look at it next time.

The bike in the background is a KTM250 that belongs to a neibour I rent some garage space to. Nice machine.

cheers
  4. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    The speedo mount is now complete, sans paint, and looking pretty sweet!
    For the main section I had the top profile water-cut (see 1st image) from a CAD model I made and then milled and turned the front profile and counter bored the push button switch hole (and tapped it).
    Then I turned the bottom cap and milled the slot cable and bolt holes.

The little switch is used to scroll between the functions on the speedo. For some reason (must be cost) the switch supplied with the speedo is not water proof so I sourced this one from Farnell's website. It's a great place to look if you need an odd electrical bit. I also bought a front brakelight switch, to fit the new master, from them for a few bucks rather than the $80-$90 I was quoted for a genuine BMW or Ducati one!

So into the pile of bits for the next powder coat run and on with the next bits. Progress is ok but I'm behind where I wanted to be this week.

Attached Files:

5. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    The tail light has been a bit of long-winded affair!

I have spent countless hours looking for the "right" tail light for this bike and then come back around to the
    hella one I've had stashed away in a box for years. I had initially intended to use this light but then changed my mind, endlessly, and even bought a Lucas copy, for a 50's Triumph, and its mount.
    I cut and welded the big old Triumph number plate holder but couldn't come up with a look I was happy with on the bike. It looks ok but not quite what I wanted. Still, I'm sure it'll find a home on a future project. Maybe a Triton.....

Anyway, this afternoon I'd had enough faffing around with the Triumph setup and went back to the good old Hella light.
    I started by turning the tail light bolt through bit and indicator mount from bar. I bored and tapped the thread to suit the indicators and then milled the slot for the wires to exit.
    Then, with a piece of rectangular box section tubing, I cut the side profile and bored the hole for the indicator mount, and welded it all up.
    I am yet to make the number plate mount but have a big one left over from a Ducati I owned a few years back that'll become a donor/ starting point.
    These bits will all be bolted to the alloy guard so I'll need to reinforce the back and bolt it through to the subframe - somehow.

Another bit for the powder coaters.

Tomorrow I think I'll tackle the tool tray I vacuum formed the other night and have a look at mounting and trimming the guard. Or something.
    Oh and make the battery carrier and side stand mount and...........

Attached Files:

6. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    great work!
  7. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Love the instrument mount - awesome.
  8. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:

I have spent countless hours looking for the "right" tail light for this bike and then come back around to the one I've had stashed away in acupbord for years. I had initially intended to use this light but then changed my mind, endlessly, and even bought a Lucas copy, for a 50's Triumph, and its mount.
    I cut and welded the big old Triumph number plate holder but couldn't come up with a look I was happy with on the bike. It looks ok but not quite what I wanted. Still, I'm sure it'll find a home on a future project. Maybe a Triton.....

Anyway, this afternoon I'd had enough faffing around with the Triumph setup and went back to the good old Hella light.
    I started by turning the tail light bolt through bit and indicator mount from bar. I bored and tapped the thread to suit the indicators and then milled the slot for the wires to exit.
    Then, with a piece of rectangular box section tubing, I cut the side profile and bored the hole for the indicator mount, and welded it all up.
    I am yet to make the number plate mount but have a big one left over from a Ducati I owned a few years back that'll become a donor/ starting point.
    These bits will all be bolted to the alloy guard so I'll need to reinforce the back and bolt it through to the subframe - somehow.

Tomorrow I think I'll tackle the tool tray I vacuum formed the other night and have a look at mounting and trimming the guard. Or something.
  9. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you need a break from the bike, you're starting to repeat yourself :lol3

Looks great :thumb The speedo mount tail light are cool.
  10. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:

I have spent countless hours looking for the "right" tail light for this bike and then come back around to the one I've had stashed away in acupbord for years. I had initially intended to use this light but then changed my mind, endlessly, and even bought a Lucas copy, for a 50's Triumph, and its mount.

11. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    yeh weird. I wonder why thats there again.
    No time for a break! must build bike must build bike must build bike must build bike must build bike must build bike..........mm not mad!
  12. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Correction: must build bike must build bike must take pics & post em up... :D

Great work! It's neat to see many different methods being used to good effect to make all the custom parts.

Cheers
    Clint
  13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful work. You should have probably made a few more of those speedo mounts. I am sure they would have sold like hot cakes.
  14. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Can do. The speedo is the pricey bit. I bought mine direct from motogadget in Germany @ 233 euro (about NZ$500) including freight to NZ. The speedo mount would cost about NZ$200-$250.
    I'm quite happy with the set up. I've now made a bracket to carry the reed switch pickup on the fork but am wondering about picking up off the driveshaft or gearbox output. Just need to find a way of making it tidy - not a huge fan of wires running down the forks as it's hard to make it look tidy.
  15. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run the wires inside stainless tubing, with nice aluminium brackets holding the tubing to the fork.

The thought just came to me, I have no idea if it would work in your application.
  16. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Yeh, nice.

I'll have a look at that.
    Cheers.
  17. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Under seat tray.
    The outer shell of the under-seat tray is now made an trimmed to size. I vacuum formed the tray. The rubber seal around the top edge will form a dust seal against the seat base - like some of the earlier model bikes used. This seal was designed for use on car boots/trunks and is available by the meter.

Initially I was planning on using this compartment for the battery as well as the fuse box, relays, accessory jack(I use it for charging the battery) and ignition switch. The only problem is that I then loose my storage space for the tool roll. So I'm now going to mount the battery under the gear box in a cut down 30 cal. ammo box - but I'll get to that later.

I plan to make a partition down one side with the fuse box poking through it and the wiring safely tucked away under/behind it.

It'll be bolted through rubber grommets to the subframe.

Seat Base.
    In order to mount the tray I need to make the seat base, which is taking bit of designing!. But the concept is there and I think most of the details are sorted - well they work in my head anyway. I'm yet to add a dimple at the back for the rear mudguard and location and mounting hardware.

I've used ABS plastic, the same as the tool tray, because it's easily formed with heat, easy to glue, resistant to UV and most chemicals the bike will come into contact with and has good impact resistace. It's what lots of automotive parts are made of - bumpers, grilles etc.

There are a few elements to take into account with this phase of the build so it's taking a lot of planning and making bits here and there so they all fit together.

Rear Guard.
    I have cut the guard roughly to leangth and will finalise this and make the mounts for it before going much further with seat etc. Because it's alloy I plan to epoxy reinforcements around the mount holes and use rubber gommets.

More pic.s as I progress.

Attached Files:

18. Kiwi Pete

Kiwi Pete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lovely work Ken, can't wait to see the finished product.

Pete
  19. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Nice work... for a bloody Kiwi!! :-)

All jokes aside, what size Mikuni's did you use?? TM's??? What jetting? I'm starting a project with a R100 motor and am considering dumping the Bings.. Dellorto's are stoopid expensive but I mildly understand the old Mikuni's. That speedo is something! Nice. Looking forward to some more updates..

Regards
    FBC
  20. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I bought the carbs off ebay in the states. They are TM36's and had been running on a hotted up R100 (high comp, big cam etc.) road bike. I'm not sure what jets are in them as I've not even stripped them yet . I'll work through that when I get the bike ready to run. It's likely to be a bit rich for my standard motor so should at least fire up and run, all be it roughly.
    The mikuni's are a much more modern design than the good old dellortos and are supposed to be a bit better developed for it, but not as cool I recon. I've seen black dellortos on special somewhere recently, I think it was Bevel Heaven in the states.
    A lot of people are running 38's on race machines but I think that's probably a bit big for a standard road/trail bike and didn't want to loose the bottom end torque that the bigger size chokes tend to do. Hopefully they'll feed the old girl alright. All i'm looking for is better throttle responce, which I think I'll get with these.

I found this chart on the net (and theres plenty more around) that gives a starting point for Mikunis on loads of bikes.
    http://www.braigasen.com/Mikuni_jetting_chart_four_stroke.htm

This weeks been a bit slack on the bike front with the only advance being the front mounts that I made for the rear guard. I'll take some photos soon and post'em.