R100GS - Sreet tracker / scrambler thing....

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by boxer odyssey, Aug 11, 2009.

1. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate!! Keep us informed... That jetting link is GOLD!!!

2. boxer odyssey

boxer odyssey to excess and beyond

Oddometer:
    Progress has been slow in the last couple of weeks. But the tool / elctrical box and rear guard are now mounted.

The rear guard is mounted via rubber grommets to a bracket on the subframe at the back. And I made arms that mount to, what was, the lower battery box mounts for the font. Hopefully the rubber mounts will help restrict the fatigue, through vibration, of the alloy guard.

I've mounted the tool box/tray in the same way as the guard but with smaller grommets. The front has a single mount in the centre but rests on a rubber pad accross its width. The front mount is bolted to the main frame through the top battery box mount brackets.
    The rear mounts (2 of) are welded to the cross bar in the subframe.

Attached Files:

3. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Here's the top view of the tray showing the fuse box - now 8 fuses up from 3 origionally.
    The internal cover over the Ign. switch, acc jack and fuse box unscrews for access to wiring.
    Wiring loom enters the box through a grommet at the front, under the internal cover and the tail light harness will exit the same way at the rear.

The join in the top seal is yet to be glued.

I'm currently exploring seat construction options. I was planning to reinforce the ABS seat base I've already made but now think that a trated plywood base might be the go.

Attached Files:

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful work. I just wonder if the tool roll might interfere with the fuses once things get knocked around. Do you think that could happen?
  5. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    It should be ok, I think, because the tools are well contained in the roll and held pretty securely between the wiring cover and the opposite wall of the box - it's reasonably tight in there so there shouldn't be much movement a all. Also the cover for the fuses looks quite robust so should be able to fend off any wayward items that might attack it.
  6. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I've been a bit lax on the posts of recent, but progress is slowly being made.

Here's the state of play;

The rear guard is done, bar the mounting holes for the tail light and number plate.

The under seat tray is sorted and waiting for the wiring.

I have spent considerable time lately running through options for the seat, the battery mount and the exhaust system.

I'm planning to mount the seat, at the front, with a spiggot into the end of the top frame tube and, at the back/middle, with a Ducati Multistrada seat latch (which should have arrived today but didn't!). So there'll be a spiggot to machine up and mount to the base, which is now plywood, and a bracket to hold the latch welded to the subframe. Details follow.
    Then final design of shape and upholstery.

The battery mount design is largely worked out, in my head anyway!, and I've begun an initial mock-up.

The exhaust - I've been toying with the idea of a 2 into 1 header that runs down the right hand side of the motor and then crosses behind the battery, under the gearbox, to a single/twin muffler/s. But this may be a stage 2 mod. I think funds and the eagerness to ride may dictate that I just get it going with the current pipes.

Then finish the wiring.

Send the new bits off to the powder coaters.

Tune the new carbs - it will be interesting to see how she goes!

So not much then! :eek1

Attached Files:

7. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Looking really really cool BO.
    Got a front guard or leaving it off?
  8. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I've made a rough front guard which I'm not too sure on. Might just use it for the W.O.F. man!

It's steel and should realy be ally if it's to be a perminant fixture.
    Thought also that i might integrate it in with the fork brace that I'm yet to make.
  9. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Looking good!

I reckon some twin high pipes ala Triumph Scrambler would look way cool on there. Lotsa Scrambler owners throw away the stockers for lighter/louder ones, so you might be able to get a stock pair for very little $.

Cheers
    Clint
  10. toolfan

toolfan Broken Hearted

Oddometer:
    Cool project. :thumb

Giving me some ideas, probably bad ones though.
  11. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:

Yeah agreed - or just a couple of short shotty type sticking back low on each side - would look grouse with the carb setup.
    You gotta bring it down here for a cruise
  12. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Just been looking at the bike and was thinking the low pipe route might be the go. Using a pair of shorty reverse cones.
    But because there's already a lot going on on the right side of the bike it could be cool to run a single can on the left - like this guy's done.
    Probably gonna run the cans I've got for now though cause I need to get back on it! It's my only bike at the mo and I've got serious withdrawals.

Attached Files:

13. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    This bike is very cool. I like the idea of a dirt version of this concept.

Attached Files:

14. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Good thoughts. Can you make them shorter than the top bike as it looks too long. Always liked the wrapped header look.

Let us know how it's running.
  15. Tanami

Tanami Under The Weather

Oddometer:
    Ive been lurking...watching...smiling stupidly. my GS is (sorta) following the same path. Here are some images that have inspired me. Thanks for posting your build up. Stu.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MMMMMMmmmmmm.....Nice
  16. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    thanks for the images dude. Welcome into the light!!!!

I'm finding the thread to be a good motivation to keep the momentum up on my build.

Got any detail on your build? Images/plans etc?

The first bike you posted is my fav., nice.
  17. pusherrod

pusherrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CKas%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:Standaardtabel; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I'm also building a BMW scrambler, but based on a r100r.

I used to have an old dirty r75/7 and really loved it, I didn't really maintain or clean it and I liked the look of this, but because of this it also wasn't the most reliable motorcycle most of the time. This summer I couldn't deside on what motorcycle I wanted to buy, but I did want to go on a motorcycle trip to eastern europe. Eventualy I bought a K75 for this purpose... just because I couldn't find my ultimate motorcycle and the K bike was cheap and reliable. I new I would go back to twin cilinders eventualy, but the K75 did prove it self during the trip.
    I desided when I got back I want to build a motorcycle that combines several things of both bikes. I want a realiable bike like the K with modern brakes, modern singel swingarm, modern front springs, electronic ignition, oilcooler and panniers to make the bike more practical. I want all this but with the but with the hardcore look of my old airhead and ofcourse I also want the airhead engine and frame.

Eventually I desided a bmw r100r would be the best base for this project. I just want to get rid of all the stuf I don't need, get big dirt tires for offroad performance and the scrambler look, fix an old /5 tank and matching seat and probably english stile fenders and lights+blinkers. And I think I will use something like amunition cases to make panniers. Everyting has to be black with white stripes (thinking of powdercoat) and after I will not really clean or polish it anymore, but will just make sure it's reliable.

This is the bike so far, if you guy's are intrested I can get you posted of my progress.

uploading pictures didn't work, so follow the link for the pictures.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/779/63145933.jpg
    http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6350/21318461.jpg
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1066/19674045.jpg
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5982/42402066.jpg
  18. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:

Nice job!

Love that tank. Starting with the r100r is a great idea for a road based scrambler - which is where mine will clock up most of its miles!
    Shorter travel and lower ground clearance give it a cool and beefy stance, nice to have the twin discs and taller final drive ratio too.
    I have built mine in a way that allows me to swap back to the origional tank and back end for longer 2-up touring with panniers.

Looks like a cool project - keep us posted. Could even start your own thread if you're that way inclined. I've found it to be a good way of keeping up with my own project.

BO
  19. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Another hurdle crossed. The battery box has consumed more time than it should have! The end result is somewhat agricultural but should be reasonably strong and my excuse is that function has to rule over aesthetics for this bit.

The tray is folded up from 2mm sheet steel and will be powder coated black. The side brackets are 5mm alloy plate and will be sand blasted and left raw like the motor and gearbox. With a standard BMW rubber battery strap holding it down.

The sump guard is a standard small BMW one shortened slightly, spun around 180 degrees and folded.

I've also added the left rear footpeg and muffler hanger to the rear subframe - something I wouldn't have had to do if I'd started with a r100r like pusherrod above!

I can smell the end of this build! it's getting close. I'm planning to run her rough for a while to shake out any issues and then, perhaps tart up the untouched older bits on the bike after that.

Attached Files:

20. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    getting there

Attached Files:

• side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      126.4 KB
      Views: