R100GS - Sreet tracker / scrambler thing....

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by boxer odyssey, Aug 11, 2009.

1. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I can swap between my streettracker seat and stock dualseat/guard and change wheels in less than an hour - more dual purpose than a dual purpose bike.At the moment I'm (trying to find the time!) fitting a couple of nice little panniers I found in Nick's cave,using some old pannier racks from the '70's...like used on a CB125 etc.Need to fit them with the stock seat on as it takes up more room.
  2. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    BO you're now internationally recognised... & to think I was there at the start...
  3. boxer odyssey

boxer odyssey to excess and beyond

Oddometer:
    careful - I might take you down with me if this thing falls apart!
  4. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Today I packed all the parts to be painted up and sent them off to the powder coaters! Yeha

So while they're away I'm focusing on the seat, finishing the front tank mount + cleaning up the under-side and the side stand bracket.
    Or at least some of that! hopefully.
    More soon....:freaky
  5. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    :clapThe powder coaters turned my bits around nice and quick and the bulk of them are now on the bike. Feels great to be bolting bits on with the intention to leave them there!

The rear subframe has turned out well - the paint helps to hide my very average welding!

I had a wee lapse of judgement with the speedo mount and broke the tiny waterproof button switch I'd imported from lands foreign. Bollox. New one on the way with a bit of luck. But the bracket looks great in black. Looks like it's meant to be there and makes the speedo look even smaller!

I've decided to run with my existing mufflers for now so gave them a lick of high temp paint and baked them in the kitchen oven - evidently they get a bit smokey! As pointed out by my better half, but I'm still allowed to sleep in the house so all's well.

Making the seat now, followed by side stand and wiring.

Attached Files:

6. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I have a seat. At last.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was lucky enough to be given a nice piece of used leather.
    I spray glued some 8mm soft foam to the back of the leather and sewed the cover as you can see below.
    The cover then wraps over the chip foam, which is F2ed to the plywood base.
    I then used a gun stappler to hold the cover to the base before screwing the ally cover to the underside, providing a nice flat surface for the tool box seal.

Attached Files:

7. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    The seat is held in place at the front by a small spiggot that I turned up from acetal plastic and in the middle by a modifyed Ducati Multistrada seat latch.
    It's then located between the subframe side rails by a pair of rubber stoppers.

Attached Files:

8. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Seated

Attached Files:

9. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

10. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I love how this is turning out.
  11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Even the tank, in its current condition, looks pretty cool.
  12. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Yeh definately!. I gave the underside a quick clean back and coat of paint, to protect it, but I want to leave the top as is. Although I may stencil a graphic over it.

Cheers.:freaky
  13. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the tank looks great! Can't manufacture that kind of patina. Would clearcoating it be going too far?
  14. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Just don't touch the tank whatever you do

Unless you can find an old transfer (remember those) of an old benzine label & apply:evil
  15. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    I think I'll put the Por15 tank liner in it and leave the outside to do it's own thing.

Gotta get onto the side stand now. I'm planning to make a bracket to take the standard sidestand without the crash bar.
    Anyone got any ideas? I'd like to be able to make a few extras to sell, so let me know your ideas and I'll see what I can come up with.
  16. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
  17. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Jake already offered them to me before they went on TM.
  19. boxer odyssey

Oddometer:
    Well it aint beautiful but it is built like the preverbial out-house so hopefully it'll work!

I've made a prototype side stand mount to take the origional stand leg. The pivot is now behind the front engine mount, rather than in front, with its bump stop resting against an alloy arm welded to the left battery box bracket.

The bracket is, essentially, a U section running beneith the frame hoop with arms off it at an angle for the pivot. The front engine mount passes through both of the verticle sides of the U.
    A web between the arms provides a stop for the stand leg, when extended, and another on the front end of the U butts up to the frame, to stop the bracket rotating under load.

The stand still flicks up automatically - because, in my opinion, thats the way it should be.

I'll test this concept and make a refined/ revised version after living with it for a bit.

Time to finish the electrics.
    I don't know if I should say this out loud but I'm aiming to ride the beast to Wanganui for the boxing day races. So we have a deadline!

Attached Files:

20. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    The silver tab to the springs attach to, got any spare or can you make one?

I lost mine on the 42nd traverse and it's the first part I've never been able to get a replacement for from BMW.