R100R mystic cafe build

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by pommie john, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Piggdekk

Piggdekk love speed, hate rush

Oddometer:
    I've built a few brackets for calipers but they never looked really good. Doesn't matter how they are done they will always look a bit ratty. I was ok with that, but it really comes down for the level of finish You are trying to achieve. My goal building custom bikes is always to get them on the road ASAP, and then refinish as needed, and in that respect your brackets will work.
    As fas as painting the calipers, the gold isn't paint but it's anodising. These Brmeobo calipers do polish pretty well if you got the time to do it, otherwise You can polish them less and then powder coat, maybe same color as the brackets so they are less evident.
    luca
  2. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for that info. There's a place near me that would make a pair of discs to fit the BMW carriers so I wouldn't need to drill the Brembo discs. All more money of course :)

I'll try it with the current discs and see how it works. If I want to use 320mm discs I can change the plates I made and the calipers will be a bit more upright.
  3. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in no rush to get this on the road, but I'm certainly going to trying things out and change them if it doesn't ride right. I noticed that the callipers are anodised, not painted, but I think I will paint them. I'm hoping for a charcoal metallic. Something unobtrusive as you suggest.
  4. Piggdekk

Piggdekk love speed, hate rush

Oddometer:
    my "rush" to have a custom bike on the road is because it helps you debug it asap and spend the money on the right areas. That said I don't think you're going very radical, so there probably won't be much to debug, and you're probably much better than me in planning/desinging upfront!
    I would probably spend most of the money in getting the electrics sorted out and well hidden, including a neat LIFEPO battery hidden somewhere, great project, keep us posted!
  5. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are always gonna have to make some compromise when putting old, new and mismatched stuff together. Making it neat and tidy is the key. Mock it up, work out if it’s the best way and try again. Went thru heaps of stuff each time. The big stuff is easy, it’s all the little stuff that seems to take all your time up. One reason I stuck with BMW gear in each part. K1 forks and R1200 front wheel. Only wheel spaces required.
  6. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve borrowed a tank from the world’s ugliest bike. It kinda works but there’s a big gap between the tank and seat. If I move the seat forward it has to go up at the same time and that exposes the subframe which I was trying to avoid. There’s too much space to fill with seat upholstery, I might look at moving the whole subframe but that means changing the mounting lugs.
    My original plan was a custom tank like on my race bike, but that’s a very expensive solution.

Attached Files:

7. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Extend the seat with sheet metal and bond and rivet in place.
    Upholstery will hide the extension and it will blend in.
  8. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll look at that option. You can't really see in the pic, the frame rails are wider than the seat so the seat extension would have to flare out too. It might work.
  9. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    39C9F452-E039-41C8-8921-B8789B2891DF.jpeg I’ve nearly finished the subframe. I was going to use the original, but they’re really heavy. I guess they are made for two people and panniers and all the camping gear. Anyway, I’ve been trying to revive my welding skills and came up with this which is loads lighten than the original.
  10. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    94CBB6ED-7CB1-478B-AC40-EF5D4C4CAF3C.jpeg I’ve also found a cb750 tank that almost fits. It’s from a late 70s DOHC model. A little bit of tweaking and I think it will work. What I really want to do is get rid of that ugly fuel cap, but it’s in an odd shaped recess and I don’t think I want to use a couple of pounds of filler to fill it. Ideas welcome.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  11. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cut it out and weld in the top of a bmw flush mount tank.
    Cogswell, Uke and pommie john like this.
  12. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s been slow progress but the subframe is finished and the seat properly mounted. The Honda fuel cap sits in an ugly recess with a big locking arm over the top. I have a neck welded on to take a classic monza cap and have filled the recess with filler. There’s been plenty of rubbing down and adding more filler.
    The shock has been rebuilt with the spring powder coated.

Attached Files:

MrBob, Bigger Al and BMWGSA like this.