R1100GS Clutch issue

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Drobs71, May 3, 2021.

1. Drobs71

Drobs71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hoping to get the advice of the collective GS hive on a R1100GS clutch issue.

Symptoms:
    1. Bike will surge forward slightly when starting the bike with clutch lever IN and in first gear. After the bike is started, clutch engagement appears normal until;
    2. When shifting gears, upon pulling clutch lever in, there appears to be a delay in the clutch disengagement. It's like the clutch remains engaged for a few seconds before disengaging. This will happen with all gear shifts, but periodically in time.

Actions:
    1. Readjusted clutch cable to 12mm at the lever adjuster/lock nut, then 7mm lever play (it was 4-5mm previously) with the clutch arm 10mm bolt.

Results:
    1. Same symptoms.
    2. Lever and cable action seem to be normal.

Thoughts or ideas?
    1. Clutch plate sticking on transmission output shaft splines, preventing forward/back motion?

For your consideration and collective wisdom.
  2. PaulRS

PaulRS Dutch fool

Oddometer:
    Take off the starter motor and have a look inside.
    Pull the clutch lever and see what is, or isn't happening at the clutch spline area.

Paul.
  3. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    is the cable in good shape?
    not got a strand or two holding it up in the sheath?
  4. The Fabricator

The Fabricator I didn't know it wasn't possible so I did it.

Oddometer:
    Worn splines on the transmission shaft and in the clutch hub are binding slightly, not allowing the friction disc to move freely. Remove starter motor to view clutch. Many posts about worn splines.
  5. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I always thought the spline issue was with the1150 bikes and not the 1100 series?
  6. PaulRS

PaulRS Dutch fool

Oddometer:
    The 1150 main issue was a crooked front gearbox cover.

Dry and/or rusted splines is for all bikes with a dry clutch, but high milage bikes can suffer from wear on the splines.

Paul.
  7. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    Don't get anal about a few mm's.

The main consideration is the play at the clutch arm at the back of the gearbox. You must have play at that rear lever, the adjuster is on the lever, 13mm locknut, 10mm adjusting nut.

You should be able to feel a few mm's of free play by moving the lever with your thumb
  8. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Let's Go, Brandon!

Oddometer:
    That's a little unusual. What year, how many miles on the bike?
  9. Drobs71

Drobs71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1999 R1100GS with 36000 miles. I was told that all maintenance was done on the machine when I bought it about 4 years ago, which turned out not to be the case based on the condition of the transmission fluid. I suspect the splines have not been lubed since it was at the factory. What are people using for moly paste? There seems to be alot of opinions on the issue. Did the maintenance video cover re-lubing the splines? I have it somewhere, just need to track it down. It seems like one of those procedures where you are excited to do it, but nervous all the same as in “let’s see how this goes”.
  10. Redwyvern

Redwyvern Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Several have mentioned inspecting thru the starter window.
    I'm speculating your spline is dry. As you have to head in there, then you'll be able to look for wear.
    The choice of grease is critical. I had a old airhead bmwrphile give me some homemade moly... It didn't last (it flung off). Being your going to spend several hours doing the job (dropping the transmission, grease, assemble), don't go cheap in the grease - as you'll have to do it all over again if you do.

I'll have to look when I get home as to the stuff I bought off ebay. As I couldn't "visualize" what the size (grams) was, I got way too much. But I tinker (words gotten out I fix things), so some of it will be used.

I learned from my Concours to never start a bike in gear, and if you do always have the front brake applied. (the Concours has a wet clutch, but it would lunge forward on a cold startup. Learned to start in neutral, pump the clutch 2-3 times, then put it in gear. It eliminated the oh-shi lunge. If you weren't ready for it, she could come out from being balanced under you and you drop it into its Tupperware)
  11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Let's Go, Brandon!

Oddometer:
    I'd ride it for awhile and see what happens. That's not very many miles, and the 99 is a very solid year. It's not prone to spline issues. Maybe it will loosen up.

Btw, there is no "spec" for lubing the splines. If you have a good one it will go forever without being lubed. If you have a bad one it will fail every 30K miles, no matter what you do.