R1100GS sidecases

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Marcom_01, May 11, 2020.

1. Marcom_01

Marcom_01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I recently bought a '95 R1100GS and i'm loving it.
    I just came across a good deal for a set of BMW side cases, however these come from a R1100R.
    Does anyone know if these will fit my GS?
    I have checked the realoem website and at least the part numbers for the case mounts are the same.
    The only thing I am a bit worried about is the space for the exhaust in the left box.

I hope someone can asnwer this for me.
  2. eri

eri Long timer

Oddometer:
    you're probably right

the full sized right pannier will fit fine

but a full sized left pannier probably won't fit as it doesn't have a cutout for the muffler

[​IMG]
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know the answer to this question, either, but I'd start my research by comparing online parts fiche for the exhaust systems between the two bike versions. Looking at pictures online the "regular" R1100 models have an upswept canister that looks awfully similar to the ones on a GS model.

That typed, I'd also want to carefully inspect the 20 y/o plastic bags for brittleness, cracks, etc. System bags weren't all that sturdy for anything except smoot tarmac. Even slight naps in the dirt could be fatal to their mounting points.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You can but a kit for $100 to lower the exhaust and fit two full bags. I made my own kit.
    SmittyBlackstone and eri like this.
  5. leiflarsen

leiflarsen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are you paying (if you don't mind me asking)? What do you use your GS for?

I just went through this with my R1100GS, and decided to be cheap. I bought a set of well-priced Jesse racks and old cases separately and then modified them to work together. Having gone through all of that I probably should have just saved my pennies for a little longer and bought a set of Jesse cases and racks together...which would have been about $200USD more. Seems like $700USD will get you an older set of Jesse racks and cases for the R1100/R1150GS if you find the right seller.

The nice thing about Jesse cases, IMHO, is that they're strong enough that if/when you go down, the cases can take the abuse. I'm not sure if the same can be said about the BMW system cases.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. jigginjim

jigginjim Anyone for a Guinness?

Oddometer:
    Hi...the cases for an R1100R also fit the 850r and the GS's up to and including the 1150, or so Motorworks here in the UK told me when I was looking for a set. The RT and RS have a shallower cut out for the lower exhaust set up.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It depends on the R1100R itself. Some had the low exhaust.
    [​IMG]
    Some had the high:
    [​IMG]

But yeah, that is an option too.
  8. jigginjim

jigginjim Anyone for a Guinness?

Oddometer:
    Oh! Well they say you learn something new every day! Perhaps the OP needs to concentrate on finding a set of GS type panniers.
  9. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of the Jesse's too. Hope you are enjoying your set-up. Price-wise you are about right. I just sold another Odyssey set last month for $720 shipped. Only reason I sold them was I found a set of Odyssey II's that looked just like them.

They are getting harder to find for the 11GS but among the best hard bag options out there.
  10. leiflarsen

leiflarsen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still a happy camper. The modifications weren't hard, and all the parts you sent me helped a lot. I rode the bike once with the cases on, but have taken them off now so I can learn the ins and outs of the bike before I add a variable like cases. Looking forward to using them for some motorcycle camping trips this summer!
    PaulBarton likes this.