R1100GS SW-Motech crash bar install.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by XTC, Nov 27, 2007.

1. XTC

XTC Taz

Oddometer:
    Just installed some SW-Motech crash bars on my 97 R11GS.
    Easy install took about 45mins.

Step 1
    Move tank back to make for better access to the top mount bolts
    Fit top mount.

[​IMG]

Step 2

Remove the two 10mm nuts that secure the front of the skid plate and fit hex spacers.

[​IMG]

Fit Lower bracket

[​IMG]

Step 3

Remove rear subframe upper mount bolts and use longer spacers and bolts supplied. Fit bars, tighten all bolts and nuts refit tank and you're done. PS use threadlock on all threads and don't fully tighten bolts until both bars fitted. Easy peasy.

Andy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Of to GSpot

JJ
  3. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    YIKES! the crash bars attach using one of the rubberized mount points on the skid plate? AND they're extended to maximize bending and shear moments? goodness, let us know how they fair when you tip for the first time!

Good writeup too!
  4. moymurfs

moymurfs Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Oddometer:
    They will serve you well. They saved my bike -decked out and heavy, twice( both on and off road). Very stout :clap
  5. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    They're actually quite stout. The throttle side bar on my 1100GS took a direct drop onto a rock and didn't move at all. The finish is a little scuffed from the impact, but everything remained true. I'm working up a bracket to reinforce the lower area, but the problem is there just aren't any mounting features at the base of the motor unless you go back to the centerstand mount. I think they did the best they could with what was available.
  6. Bentley

Bentley Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have them as well and have biffed it several times with nothing but scratches on the bars. I do worry a slight bit about the lower mounting below the skid plate.

One thing to note is that the upper mounting bracket (your first picture) is so close to the OEM shock spring that it makes mounting Ohlins, with a larger diameter spring, impossible without mods to the bracket. If you ever move to the Ohlins, let me know and I will show you how I had it modified.

Also, I could not remove the alternator cover for a valve adjust without removing that upper bracket. Eventually, I sawed the cover in half so I can remove the bottom half for a valve adjust without having to dick with the bars.

Cheers,

Ben
    DonniBoi likes this.
  7. Conrad

Conrad Karlshuld

Oddometer:
    Any issues with oil change or other maintenance services?
  8. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need to touch the alternator cover for valve adjustment. Put the bike in gear (a higher gear, not 1st or 2nd) and spin the back wheel. You'll have the plugs out so there won't be any compression. :thumb
  9. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    You've got to remove the lower bracket for oil changes (provided your skidplate is still in place). The front bracket needs to go for alternator belt changes, and I haven't had to do a valve adjustment yet, but it looks like there is enough clearance in there to get the covers off.
  10. XTC

XTC Taz

Oddometer:
    Removing the brackets isn't a major hassle. Only gotta be done every 10,000.
    Andy.