R1100GS transmission installation issue

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Drobs71, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Drobs71

Drobs71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good morning all,

I am looking for some collective wisdom on a transmission issue that I am having with a R1100GS. I am trying to re-install a m97 transmission on the bike and having issues getting it reseated on the engine, basically there is resistance with the last 2-3cm. The transmission input shaft/clutch release rod appear to be seating with the clutch output shaft, but there is resistance to it properly seating the last 2-3 cm. I am using the installation pins and I have kept the battery/ABS tray in place, simply trying to lift it up in order to reseat the two rubber mounted bolts into their holes on the bottom of the battery tray. I am considering removing the ABS unit and battery tray to see if that helps. FYI, I did replace the cltuch with a new unit, but an confident that it is installed correctly as I have used both the haynes and clymer manuals. I have pulled the transmission off and tried installing without the clutch release rod to see if that was an issue, but same result. 20210905_102922.jpg 20210905_102825(1).jpg I would be grateful to hear if others have had the same issue, and provide some feedback.

Thank you.

Drobs71

Attached Files:

2. krellheat

krellheat Milk Crate Challenged

Oddometer:
    Lube that spline with Moly first
  3. Drobs71

Drobs71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but already done. I did also use the clutch plate centering mandrel, when the clutch pack was installed and plenty of endurolast lube 477, actually probably a little too much in hindsight. I did wonder whether the clutch plate and transmission input shaft may not be perfectly alligned, possibly causing the issue.
  4. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Did you try starting over at aligning splines? That would seem logical. Even with alignment rods, one can get cocked ever so little so lifting a little as you slide in, sometimes putting the unit in gear and rotating out put as you push in and lift. The angle of the dangle has to be spot on and she won’t act like the virgin she’s not.
  5. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the gearbox in neutral?
    Maybe the splines of clutch and gearbox do not engage properly?
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Let's Go, Brandon!

Oddometer:
    Instead of pulling the ABS just lop those rubber mounts off with a hacksaw.

Have you tried turning the transmission slightly to align the splines using the output shaft?

I've used the bolts themselves to pull it in the last quarter inch or so, but not that far.
  7. Drobs71

Drobs71 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Jim,

Do the rubber mounts serve a purpose other than support to the battery tray? They do get in the way of the battery tray. If I read you correctly, I do not necessarily need them in your opinion. I have tried turning the transmission ourput shaft in order the align the splines. Learned that I should lubricate the output splines after, not before, the transmission is successfully installed. I am going to play with it some more.
  8. Drobs71

Drobs71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Success! Wow, that was probably harder than it should have been. With alot of wiggling, pushing, adding bolts tension to keep everything aligned, there was a ping and the transmission seated itself. I don't know whether it was a good or bad ping, but I will take it for now. I wouldn't want to do that every week. Thanks for the advice all! On to the swing arm and final drive.
    Jim Moore and krellheat like this.
  9. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Let's Go, Brandon!

Oddometer:
    I've had the transmission out of several bikes, and I always cut those things off. At this point I kinda look forward to it. It's just such a stupid design.

Sounds like you got it installed. Good job!