R1150GS Adventure. A few basic questions

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by feisty, Oct 12, 2019 at 4:07 PM.

1. feisty

feisty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. Here is a new my new gsa. 2 days into having it on the road I am loving it. I have 2 1100gs currently and this came up cheap at $1600 with 35,000 miles on it so I snapped it up. It was advertised with new starter and battery and Jesse panniers and lockable storage top box mount.

All it needed was a new flywheel allegedly.... so that was replaced along with the starter, battery, stick coils and clutch slave cylinder. The clutch was replaced at the same time as it seemed silly not to. So I ended up spending another $1600 which was fine as it my investment still comes in way under market value here in Oz.

My questions are:
    IGNORE- I'VE DECIDED TO DITCH THE JESSE TOPBOX
    - what sort of mount plate is on top of the Jesse top box compartment? See pic - Jesse products are rarely seen here in Oz and I would like a top box to suit

- SORTED. IT APPEARS THE GS IS SILVER
    is the GS on the tank sticker originally silver or white? I plan to go full bumblebee (tank, seat and crossbar) with it and have bought the tank sticker kit aftermarket. The GS is silver. The maxbmw site suggest silver and mandarin yet 90% of the pics I have seen on the web seem to have it as white (which I prefer).

- STILL NO IDEA
    Is there a paint code for the valve covers? My days of research suggest not. They have been painted in the wrong colour quite poorly.

Thanks in anticipation. 20191012_191124.jpg 20191012_182605.jpg Screenshot_20191013-094545_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
    Rex Solgar and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Third pic is of the factory stickers, or at least good copies. Humvee Graphics & others sell the same font, also in different colors & reflective.

Can't be sure from the angle, but that seat may be the factory low ver.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new acquisition. I also recently purchased a bumble bee GSA.

The “GS” lettering on the tank is silver color. It appears more white. I think it’s reflective which is why pics show white.
  4. feisty

feisty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate for the info. I hadn't even though of it as a low seat but that makes sense as it feels no taller than the 1100gs. Seat height is 5 Inches VERTICALLY from the edge above the rear brake reservoir if that helps you confirm the low seat. 20191013_120847.jpg
  5. feisty

feisty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent congrats to you too! A new seat cover in bumblebee colours has been ordered along with new bar padding. I am even thinking of doing the headlight surround in the same colour but that might be a bit much.
  6. lumpy749

lumpy749 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not too sure that it is paint on the valve covers. Might be powder coating or something along those lines thats on mine. I know that mine has bubbled in a few spots. Maybe thats why yours got painted. It`s pretty good value for money though, low miles too.
  7. feisty

feisty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does look like powder coating at present. Others I have seen look like a more painted finish in a deeper blue.
    Yes it has been down the road. But it looked to have been repaired well. The fact that I bought it without riding it was a big risk but luckily it has worked out well. The 1150 twin spark motor spins really freely with zero surging. The controls are light compared to the 1100gs. I'm happy that it was never fitted with iABS or a servo. So I don't have that to worry about on this one.
  8. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    $1600 in oz! that's less than a tenth of what i paid for mine many years ago. Here you are bumble bee-ing it and i de bumble bee'd mine putting plain silvery custom decals on it. Your bike looks pretty clean and genuinely low milage from the pics, many happy trails ahead.:photog
  9. feisty

feisty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. But I did spend that again getting it back to 90%. Funny about the bumblebeeing thing hey? I personally like the lariness of it. Yet the plan black is growing on me. However the parts are ordered so BB it is! It is only missing the fog lights and crash bars to be totally original. The huge win for me the totally unused tool kit under the seat (I don't think the previous owners knew it was there) The genuine fog light mounts are on the way and I am looking at used crash bars this week. After that it will be paint or powdercoat the luggage rack and pannier racks. Paint the rear subframe. Find a way to mount my Nav V and holder (misgel mount maybe) and finally refit the heated grips it is meant to have.
  10. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re the decals, there are a few different sellers on eBay and such at quite low prices in comparison to genuine. I bought my 1150 decals from a german seller and he had all sorts of styles and colours including bumble bee. I bought some decals recently for my 1200adv i think from an Italian outlet, again very cheap.:*sip*
    feisty and lewisjr1 like this.
  11. feisty

feisty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yes I got the stickers a month ago from a UK supplier. Tank and luggage rack. Nice chap even threw in some silver and yellow ones for the sides of the beak.
  12. tallbaldrider

tallbaldrider still a n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. pietervn

pietervn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike.

I have an extra handlebar pad if you want a spare. PM address and I will send it off.

I use a ram "u" mount on the handlebar for a 4 button cradle for a Nav V. I got my mechanic to remove the factory plug under the beak and add the BMW Repair Connector (part 83300413586) that plugs into the GPS cradle. PM if you need more details. It took some persuasion to get BMW to order this part. It powers on and off with the key.

There are better fog-light options out there than the original. They are pretty finicky, if you do find a pair, add some yellow globes. They stand out quite a bit more. There are some light bar brackets available that use the same bolts but give you a standard hole to add any fog light of choice. I have gone for Aurora 40W lights with yellow covers. With some clever wiring you can use the factory switch on the handlebar to activate additional lights.

I will take a few pics of these in the morning and post them.

Cheers, Pete
    Rex Solgar likes this.
  14. feisty

feisty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to the thread. I have painted 3 sets of valve covers before. 2 very successfully and one set not so. The set that didn't work out bubbled after a few days. I should have left them a week before riding the bike, two days was not enough.
    The link mad me realise sanding is a better option than stripping (I normally sand them anyway)
    The colour is the issue. I can't even compare them to a colour chart as the current colour is way off and I don't know anyone with a gsa. I was hoping someone had a colour code that was close.
  15. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The valve cover pictured above looks just like the ones on my own '03 GSA. They're a bit of slate grey color with a lot of blue in it. Color code... sorry, never come across one.

I've seen them repainted in black, not my kind of look though.
    feisty likes this.
  16. feisty

feisty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Legendary Pete. Very generous.
    I wasn't going to put original g
    Fog lights on. They are stupidly expensive even second hand. One of my 1100 gss came with four (yes 4) spot lights mounted above and below a light bar so I might use a pair of them. I looked at after market light mounts but like things to be original and luckily found a set of gsa factory originals cheap. These went off to the powder coater today along with the Jesse pannier mounts, all footpegs, pillion handle and factory rear rack. Whilst the rear subframe was mostly naked I repainted most of it .

I've decided to ditch the Jesse lockable storage top box mount. It spoils the lines of the bike too much.
    So I am on the lookout for an aluminum clad topbox solution for the gsa rack. They seem to be few and far between. The perfect option would be a givi monokey mount but they don't seem to make them for the gsa. That way I could share top boxes between bikes. I'll have a better idea once the rack is back on it.
    Thanks for everyone's help