R1150GS fuel gauge stopped working

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ogklx400, Oct 10, 2019 at 10:11 AM.

1. ogklx400

ogklx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took cover off of inside side of gas tank while I was trouble shotting a issue so I got it fixed but now fuel gauge isn't working now. I should have taken a magic marker to it before taking cover off so I can put back on correctly. So can someone tell me if I have this on correct? I believe gauge isn't working cause I put this back on incorrectly. Thanks ADV

Attached Files:

2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. ogklx400

ogklx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    If the fuel gauge on an 1150 is providing some reading, esp. one that does not change or fluctuate, then you may have bent the float arm when removing & replacing the fuel pump's plate. The contacts where that float arm connects to the fuel plate can be mistakenly pried away from actual contact.
    rg sw wa. and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. ogklx400

ogklx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lewis ill check out electrica.I was thinking the float or something when I pulled out the fuel pump to make shore one of u shaped hoses wasn't crack or came un done so I just put it back
    together this was from a different issue which is fixed now. But fuel gauge has not worked since since put round cover back on.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  6. ogklx400

ogklx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should I take float out of tank to see how it working and see if its getting stuck which im shore it is.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  7. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    rg sw wa. and ogklx400 like this.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is easy to pop the float arm out of the little retainer when installing the pump. My bet is that is what happened.
    [​IMG]

If popped out, the gauge will stay wherever the position was when it popped out. Usually it is easy to simply pop it back in.
    rg sw wa., ogklx400 and lewisjr1 like this.
  9. Reno1

Reno1 Can't get lost if you don't know where you'er goin

Oddometer:
    A couple of additional thoughts,

1) Regarding the electrical connection, the grounding in the electrical connector is very finicky. There are multiple connections in there and they all have to be very clean for everything to work correctly. Clean all the contacts on both the tank side connector and the connector that goes to the wiring harness. Be sure to use a non abrasive method such as a pipe cleaner or Quitip.

2) I have a 2001 R1150GS. When you examine the circular inside cover you removed you will find that it is not a complete circle the is a flat part on it. Aim the flat part toward the tank mount that the rubber supports on the frame go into. That will insure that the plate is located correctly.

I have to take my tank off and will send a pic with the correct location. Should be able to send it Friday or Saturday.
    ogklx400 likes this.
  10. ogklx400

ogklx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gas gauge fixed its was the float arm that popped out of the retainer that JimVonBaden said it probably was. Yep it clicked right back in place. Thanks everyone ADV is a great site and tool and has kept my GS out of the BMW dealers for the most part which I can not afford there hourly labor rates.
    JimVonBaden and lewisjr1 like this.