1. eNewsletter Sign Up

r1150gs gps power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by elijahst, Jul 18, 2007.

1. elijahst

elijahst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have searched the site for the answer to this question, no luck. i would like to install a gps to my bike, the physical mounting is cake. but where to wire for best power i am not sure. i think i know but i am cautious. where do i run wires to and connect? thanks for the knowledge.
  2. MikeO

MikeO Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the power supply to the parking light (stuck in the bottom of the main beam - smaller - headlamp). This way, it's off when you turn the ignition off - but you can still turn it on when stopped by turning the key all the way left, through 'steering lock' to 'park' - useful if you need to do a quick re-calc at the side of the road and don't want to switch the ignition on...

Mike :)
  3. elijahst

elijahst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    when you say directly to the battery, you mean right to the post? or is there a supply elsewhere? i have the wiring with a fuse i just don't feel confident in exect battery connection. can you be more specific? ground?
  4. mikedt

mikedt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a power outlet in front of the gas tank and have the wire running back to a fusebox on top of the airbox.
    [​IMG]
  5. elijahst

elijahst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the advice geode!
  6. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Hi Elijahst,
    There is a BMW accessory plug socket kit with a long lead available from BMW. The wire lead is long enough to reach the accessory plug by the starter motor and has a Molex-type connector that connects directly inline witht the existing socket. The 1150 Adventure comes with an outlet at the front fairing. I've added a second one right next to it and purchased a Touratech cord with an audio outlet and BMW plug. The original plug is used to power my tank bag comm system. I'll try and dig up some pics of my set up if you're interested.
    Cheers,
    Jorge
  7. elijahst

elijahst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    " I'll try and dig up some pics of my set up if you're interested."

yes please...