R1200CLC Project. Yeah, I know...(Corny name: Night Dragon)

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JimVonBaden, Aug 20, 2017.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I spent the afternoon cleaning up my garage some more so I could do some assembly. I did get the fuel filter changed and the pump together, but then realized the strainer was torn, so I have to wait on a new one to move forward.
  2. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I installed the mirror block-off plates and finished the instrument surround and front fairing install. The bolts are just countersunk SS with Sharpie paint for temporary. I am going to powder coat them for final install. I am considering a small roundel on the face of each, but am not sure yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ignore the paint, it is covered in smudges from handling, but looks way better than the photos suggest.
  3. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    Fired it up yet or still too early?
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I rode it home when I bought it, 15 miles. But not yet refired it. I need a fuel pump screen (ordered from BBY), before I can assemble the tank.
  5. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Like the fairing much better without the huge gumpy mirrors and the low cut windshield. What for mirrors though? Just use some stick on convex mirrors stuck on the block off covers? Or just use round mirrors mounted on the control clusters?
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I have some R1150GS mirrors that I am going to use. We will see how they look, but I figure that the huge size of this beast will swallow them up about right. Something like bar end mirrors would look silly on it. Too small and out of proportion.
    Scubawerx likes this.
  7. Dino de Laurentiis

Dino de Laurentiis Working on it

Oddometer:
    Such an improvement over stock, love the paint too. Nice work!

There’s no getting around the fact that there’s still a certain Lord Helmet-vibe to the bike. Is mounting the fairing lower at all an option?
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind, but moving the fairing causes issues with hitting the side panels. I think it will be OK once it is all back together.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I installed the Oilhead GS mirrors, then wired in and installed the new front turn signals, then installed the under panels for the fairing. Still more to do today, but getting there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag Jesus Hates A Pussy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice transformation, Jim! I think the beast looks cock as hell-- but then again I like my Vision too!:rayof
    onbmw and Spyrious like this.
  11. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    WOW! Never thought I would say this about any R1200CLC, but this has a great look to it! The directionals are just right. Could the mirror stems be trimmed down to a stubby riser height just enough for the round head to clear your hands?
    upload_2018-1-28_15-44-20.png
    From this angle looking slightly down, it has an interesting angry face to it, like "and you thought I couldn't be bad,........heh, heh."
    Blacking out the light bezels is key to blending the shape of the fairing into a more svelte, uniform shape. Would be cool if the middle spotlights could have a transparent blacked out look when turned off, but still show enough light when lit. You really picked up on the right visual balance with the clipped windshield and cropped off mirrors to create a unique fairing shape. The stock CLC face looks weird, out of place as a touring cruiser. But this face, on a street bagger style works. Keep this up and you'll make the cover of the MOA magazine.

Do you plan to use the rear half of the seat as is or modify it to get a cafe hump kind of shape to it?
    toowoomba likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Reassembled the tail lights and turn signals, set up the rear seat for new mounts because I removed the Top Case rack, which was the rear seat mount, and fabbed filler plates for the rack grab handle slots. Now the slot has become the grab handle for passengers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to wait on the fuel strainer from BBY to assemble the tank and install it. Then a test ride.
    DuaKembara and toowoomba like this.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    LOL I like the Vision too!
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I'm going to wait on riding it to see if trimming the mirrors down is viable, but that is a good idea. I am considering some smoke covers for the headlights, maybe just the center. This bike has kick ass headlights, so a little loss would acceptable. As for the seat, I haven't decided yet. I kinda like the lip, but it may look better flush.

Thanks for all the comments, it has given me some ideas and things to consider.
    toowoomba likes this.
  15. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    I can see a personalized plate already, "DRKHLMT".
    Dino de Laurentiis likes this.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    ntdrgn License.jpg
    :lol3
  17. kevlar930

kevlar930 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm probably one of the only people who liked how the CLC looked stock, but your version makes it look much better! I'm not a fan of the mirrors, but that has already been discussed.
  18. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe a little…? JVB's dragon.png
  19. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Yeah, got to have mirrors, so we will see.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    invisa-bill and toowoomba like this.