R1200GS 2014 Ticking solved

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Kewwig, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Kewwig

Kewwig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2014 R1200GS has always had a ticking noise from the right hand cylinder from new. The techs at my local shop here in New Zealand checked it out but like many have found, couldn't find a cause. The consensus was that some do it, some don't. Two years later at its 40,000 km service they again raised it with BMW New Zealand, who supplied an updated exhaust cam with a slightly different decompression mechanism. All done under warranty, and noise completely gone.

It appears that on some, the older style mechanism would rattle, particularly if there was a slight stumble at idle. If yours does this, there is now a fix.
  2. Pvaleriy

Pvaleriy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it covered under warranty?
  3. Kewwig

Kewwig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Mine is actually 7 months outside warranty but BMW NZ stepped up for me as I reported it from new and it's always been dealer serviced. I've had excellent support from the dealer (Motomart in Wellington New Zealand)
  4. Pvaleriy

Pvaleriy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear a loud clapping sound only 1-2 seconds after I start the motor cycle and after it is turned off for a minimum of 10 minutes or more!
  5. Kewwig

Kewwig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds different to the issue I had. Mine was constant at idle with a warm bike as a sort of random metallic tick
    14usedGS likes this.
  6. B040rsu

B040rsu n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the same noise in my 2014 R1200gs when i start the motor. Mine has 45000km. I think the sound comes from rh sylinder
  7. Pvaleriy

Pvaleriy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rh sylinder? What is it?
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right Hand.
  9. Pvaleriy

Pvaleriy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ohhh.
    A similar sound and it on the right side! Sometimes when it is very strong! " ta-ta-ta-ta-ta"
  10. Humongaloid

Humongaloid n00b

Oddometer:
    I had that problem, replacing the cam chain tensioner with an updated version solved it for me
    On a 2000 1150gs
  11. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Different bike, different problem.
    ragtoplvr likes this.
  12. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have similar, also right hand side. BMW tech also said something about an exhaust something. Not worried about it, so I just assumed "they all do that".
  13. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    The technical explanation for this one is that the decompression mechanism is a simple centrifugal clutch which activates decompression at starting motor revs. The occasional noise at idle is the mechanism on the verge of trying to nearly start operating. It does NOT get near to the point of actually decompressing. My dealer (Doncaster, Melbourne) say that it is not a long term issue of reliability, just a noise issue. Not sure that I'm completely happy with that opinion - I worry that the decompressor itself might suffer premature wear. But I'm well out of warranty and not expecting to get any getting gratuities from BMW because I havn't had it serviced at the dealers.
    Anyway, the fix is that the centrifugal thingy works at slightly lower engine rpm to stay a bit further from idle speeds, so one less rattle in your engine.
    Cheers
    Brian
  14. 41GooneyBrd

41GooneyBrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I observed the same "ticking" coming from the right hand cylinder on my 2015 GS as well. I suspected it might be a fuel injector solenoid. You could actually feel the tapping occur if you placed your hand on the cylinder body while idling. The left side indicated nothing. When I asked the dealer to check it out, they also indicated that "...some bikes do it, some don't. Nothing to repair, so just keep riding."

Glad to hear it has at least been identified and someone has found a solution. The hard part now is convincing the service manager that it is real. Perhaps when I take my bike back for the fork clamp recall...
  15. Kewwig

Kewwig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might have accepted that until I heard mine at idle against several others. And it was clear from that point forward that while they all make a healthy cacophony of sounds, mine was definitely an exception to the point that other riders would comment about that infernal noise. Replacing the cam definitely fixed it
  16. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I just noticed my 2015 making that noise on the RH side as well. Recalled something about the cam. Will need to talk to the dealership.
  17. KillerD

KillerD BoozeMagician

Oddometer:
    Not to unnecessarily revive a dead thread, but..... Just got out of the dealers in Phoenix, OR. Basically, if your bike is under warranty (worth asking even if it isnt) and you complain about the engine tick, youll get a new set of cams. Also true if they find any premature cam wear at 30k miles. If you ask me, brand new cams after 30k is a pretty sweet deal, even if the ticking doesnt drive you crazy.
    CCRyder and toowoomba like this.
  18. PedroMuniz

PedroMuniz n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi There Folks,
    I have the same issue here. According to the dealer it is not a show stopper... For him.

My bike is a R1200GS LC 2016, I noticed this same clapping noise on the right side cylinder when I am waiting at a traffic sign. My bike has only 2,040km on the odometer! I will service the bike next Wednesday (28/03/18) the dealer scheduled it to replace the decompression mechanism, which involves opening the overhead valves case and fiddling around... And they won't replace the overhead gasket as the service staff explained (I also really dislike the idea very much). I was able to find a picture of the decompression mechanism of the exhaust camshaft here: www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2014/0702-cam-timing

Let me vent off a bit:

So many known problems for a brand new bike! This bike had the recall for the fork end crack issue preventive patch at 1,000km; The entire left control buttons replaced (the cruise control was being offed by pressing the turn signal to the right...) with 1,300km; The throttle assembly was replaced (right handle grip), as it became faulty causing the bike to go into limp-mode at every engine startup.

I guess the old true BMWs without all these excess of electronics, CAN-BUS thing, water-cooling and cheap solutions like changing the BMW turn-signal-buttons on each side of the handlebar to those "japanesesh-bike-switches", moving away from what BMW bikes were different from the rest, were MUCH MORE RELIABLE and performed pretty much satisfactorily. I like new technologies and accept new trends, as long as they do not compromise reliability and dependability. Furthermore, the price for these bikes stayed on the expensive side. Why would buy a BMW if I have to come to the dealer to fix it all the time? Yeah, it is still under warranty, but the warranty does not cover my time and fuel to go to the dealer or the time I cannot ride the bike.

This is my 5th BMW, but first LC boxer... My previous was a 2009 k1300s, long ago... One thing for sure, GSs are such a best seller that bmw cannot keep up with production... Good for them, but quality is down the drain which is bad for us that patron the brand. The brand is strong, and USED TO BE a synonym of high quality and reliability. I guess with all the electronics and the strong push just to be "the first to release" whatever new trendy feature, simply derailed the true and original BMW bike motto. I can tell, I cannot trust an "adventure bike" to go far from the city, as there are now so many tiny points-of-failure that can halt the bike dead. BMW--German bikes--simple reminds me of Italian cars of the past (still same today?): strong brand, very nice design, but prone to a myriad of problems... BMW bikes stay more in the servicing than on the roads. Owning a BMW is just like owning an iPhone, we all want to own one, but we do not really know why anymore.
  19. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Nice first post
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    May as well jump in with both feet! :-)
    CCRyder and Max Wedge like this.