R1200GS 2014 Ticking solved

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Kewwig, Jun 13, 2017.

1. hsvpvc

hsvpvc hsvpvc

Oddometer:
    I took my '14 GS in for the fork recall, and I complained about the noise and referenced the cam info on here. My bike is out of warranty. It has 7000 miles.

The dealer's mechanic contacted BMW and they are picking up the tab on new cams and rockers.

I am happy with this. Haven't gotten the bike back, but hopefully will be as quiet as the '18s
  2. glen gs

glen gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know why.........because it’s the best in class and a great bike.
  3. PedroMuniz

PedroMuniz n00b

Oddometer:
    No doubt Glen. That's why I bought it too.

I guess just prefer another class, the class of bike I can ride worry-free and spend less time in the dealer workshop. I had 13 bikes over the last 30 years, the last 5 BMWs, but between this 2016 GS and my previous 2009 K1300S I did not have a bike for 7 years; CAN-BUS, LC, and electronics came in and made these bikes too much of a "high-precision-equipment" meaning handling with care and bear constant maintenance to keep all the extra fuss working. We gained some extra HPs, but we lost in durability. Just like a Land Rover Defender will survive tough off-road and a Land Rover Discovery will stop if simply rains too much. I guess I am too BMW narrow-minded and I just need to look outside the window to truly assess how they are really doing in comparison to the others... Honda for example.

Ride safe.
  4. kannonvaggon

kannonvaggon More experience than skill

Oddometer:
    What YOU need is to trade for a " gently used " Ural ......
    You can fix anything on the bike with a screw driver, a 3 lb hammer, or duct tape ....

I put over 467,000 KM on a Ural hack rig over a decade period. Never made me walk.
    Did I ever have to use tools to keep from having to walk? Why yes, many times ....

What am I riding NOW????? A nice fancy-schmancy GS LC of course ! Always runs great and also has never made me walk out of the desert. Yet .
    RapidCityRider, Dan Cãta and LAFS like this.
  5. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done this de-compressor swap job at home, on a no longer under warranty bike?

Dan.
  6. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did.
    Check this thread out.
  7. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    for that matter ...the ticking sound... I got to demo ride a 1250 GSA. The right CYL made a ticking noise. The left did not.... what the heck?
  8. motoxfox

motoxfox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this the original genuine OEM One handed Clap ....noise ?
    Or the latter Two handed Crap ...I mean Clap... Syndrome ! ;)

"10minutes after turn off"......spooling effect ala Suubbie's
  9. bartikyan

bartikyan n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I got my GS LC 2015 in June 2019 with 30k kilometers on it, but just yesterday I have noticed a ticking sound from the left cylinder head, opposed to most of the people having the sound coming from the right cylinder...
    I can clearly hear the difference, never noticed that before but just yesterday payed attention and yeah I can clearly hear the difference.... I have 35k kilometers on the bike now... lame question, is this decompression mechanism on both sides or just right ?
    In about 5k kilometers I need to do the valve adjustment as per manual... not sure what can it be... valve noise or injector noise... Anyone have the audio recorded for the ticking ?
  10. Jota1981

Jota1981 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Jota1981

Jota1981 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 2014 model and had both exhaust cams replaced to solve the tick. The decompressor is on both sides. Its not a consistent tick. Its an intermittent tick at idle and only when the idle revs stumble. I've only ever heard of it from the right hand side.
  12. bartikyan

bartikyan n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, so might be something else like injector , hopefully nothing serious....
  13. MTBMAN

MTBMAN n00b

Oddometer:
    Taking my 2014 GSA in on April 6th for same warm engine idle intermittent clanking noise on the right side...it’s starting to get very annoying at idle. Only have 12k miles on the bike but out of warranty. Did they replace just the decompressor on yours or cams as well?Hoping BMW stands behind this even though out of warranty.
  14. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Massabusa, old.chrisso and x32792 like this.
  15. MTBMAN

MTBMAN n00b

Oddometer:
    Ha, if it were only that easy!
  16. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They replace only the exhaust cam with a revised part. Deconpressor is an integrated part of it, can’t be replaced individually.