R1200GS 6K Service done, with pics.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Jan 2, 2006.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today I did the 6K on my not so new 12GS. It was almost exactly the same as my previous 11GS and 11RS, so there were no real surprises.
    I am using a modified Anton Method, created by Shane.
    [​IMG]
    The cover came off the same as the 11GS, and easily cleared the H&B crash bars.
    However, the front engine cover would not even come close to coming off with the crash bars, so I pulled the plugs and rotated the engine using the rear wheel with the trans in 6th gear.
    [​IMG]
    The right side of the 12GS has a cam arrow like on the R11 series, and it worked the same way. Have the arrow point straight out, and check the valves to make sure both intake and exhaust are loose. If not, rotate the engine so the arrow comes around again.
    [​IMG]
    The left side had this attachment to the cam, I think it was some sort of position sensor since wires were attached to the cam cover. Hard to see, but there is a hole in it that lines up straight out when the cylinder is at TDC.
    [​IMG]
    If you look back over on the right side, this is what you see when the left is at TDC, if the valves aren't loose to the touch, rotate the engine so the cam rotates 360 degrees.
    [​IMG]
    Insert the feeler gages, same as the 11/1150 series, .30mm on the exhaust, and .15 mm on the intake.
    [​IMG]
    Intake side.
    The exhaust side looks similar. Make sure you have both sides in, and all 4 valves covered when you get set to adjust the valves.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the valves are parallell enough that no significant stress is placed on the feeler gages, and an acurate measurement is easily achieved.
    First loosen the locking nuts, then insert the 3mm allen wrench and back off the adjustment approximately 1/4 turn. Ensure the allen wrench is near the top of a gravity stroke, then let it go. Gravity and resistance will stop it with the right amount of pressure on the valve.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tighten the lock nut without disturbing the position of the allen wrench. I hold it in place and tighten the locking nut.
    Pull from the center, and if the resistance is even, you have the adjusted correctly. There should be some slight resistance, but it should be easy to move the feeler gages.
    Rotate the engine and do the other side.
    I changed the oil and filter, warmed up the bike, and did a TB sync of just just the cables, since the idle is done automatically.
    I also checked all the nuts and bolts, and made a few adjustments. Everything looked good, and the bikes runs as good as ever.
    One note though, two of the exhaust valves were very tight, probably from the dealer doing the 600. Glad all my future service will be from me only! Except warranty repairs of course.

I also found a sad reminder of poor quality. The paint was bubling on my left valve cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See the arrows, it is bubbling on top and bottom.
    Oh well, warranty will fix it.
    Jim :brow
  2. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim, :D

Great job and thanks for sharing what you did on your day off. One questions, was the valve adjustment out any?

Thanks,
    Rick:D
  3. kines

kines Adventureless

Oddometer:
    Great report. Almost makes me miss the days when I had plenty of spare time (except then I had no spare money). :lol3
  4. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    I'm archiving this for future reference. Thanks for posting it.
    Chris in NC
  5. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    This is great, Jim. Damn it, I hate being an idiot. I don't understand a thing here, but I wish I did -- I wish I could do my own maintenance. It just seems so far away when you don't understand it and don't have anyone to show you. (I've dreamed about staying at the local shop and watched/asking everything they do on my bikes so I can do it myself the second time, but...hasn't happened so far.)
  6. g-bike

g-bike beerdrinkin'fuckaholic

Oddometer:
    Great post! Just got my TwinMax this weekend and did a valve adj. & sync as well. Being a former Harley rider this is all new to me, but not rocket science either. Totally agree on doing my own service, which was my main concern before purchasing the 12gs and was assured it was no problem by my sales guy. Will return to the dealer for all parts and ABS flush yearly. I've always been of the opinion that no one will do as good of job as you will do, its just part of motorcycling and is a given to bond with your machine:freaky
  7. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    As per the others, thanks Jim. I too will reference this when I do my own valves.

Cheers
  8. Gonz

Gonz BMW Bike Bum

Oddometer:
    I wish I had read this excellent post yesterday.
    Can you imagine how silly it must have been, me peering into the flywheel locking hole, trying to see the tdc marks like my old 1150 :rofl :rofl :rofl

Eventually I gave up and used the cam marks in conjunction with rocking the rocker gear. My 1200 has only got 7k klms on it, but the rocker noise was giving me the shits.

I like the 'gravity' idea of adjusting the gap. However that would work depending on the size of your allan key?

Top write up. Many thanks.

Gonz.
  9. overnighter

overnighter Good in a tight spot

Oddometer:
    Jim, thanks for taking the time to write this up w/ pix. You make it look so easy. Not sure if I'm up for the challenge, but it's good to see what's inside those covers! - Greg
  10. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Jim, Im surprised you did not mention the noticably missing and assumed sheared off Torx Excact-o Struddle bolt in the head. :rofl
  11. ndmiller

ndmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so honestly how did you start doing your own maintenance? I would love to do the 6000 service or even change my oil, but I've never done any motorcycle or car maintenance before. I really don't want to screw up a $15K bike just to fook around and learn, so where do I start?

In the interest of my sanity, anyone wanting to do a tech day on South Florida this winter, let me know. It's 70-80 everyday and hasn't rained in a month.:freaky

Noah
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My local club has been doing tech days for years. We usually have them about once a month. I generally will lead with the demonstration, however, lately, most of the club can now do their own.

It is so simple, I am always amazed at how many people complain about the frequency of the required maintenance. It took me about an hour to complete a simple 6K, and takes about 2-2.5 hours for a 12K with brake flush.

Thanks for the positive feedback, and if anyone ever wants to come to a tech day in the DC metro area, feel free to join us. You can learn about upcomming events here.

Jim :brow
  13. GStupid

GStupid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim Jim Jim
    You tuned the wrong bike. The bike is over here!:lol3
    Great thread. I'll definitely reference this when my time comes. We really need more "do your own maintenance" threads around here.
  14. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Good thread, Jim.

Ditto that. The only service I've ever done to a bike is oil and filter change.
  15. Artboy57

Artboy57 Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim! Keep going and I can save the $125 for the manual! ::wink:
  16. Fozdick

Fozdick Still Thinking

Oddometer:
    Good show mate

Thank You
  17. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    :clap Most excellent.
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Excellent thread. You had me rolling up my sleeves and getting ready to check my FXST's valves -- then I remembered they're hydraulic :cry
  19. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by ndmiller
    Ok, so honestly how did you start doing your own maintenance? I would love to do the 6000 service or even change my oil, but I've never done any motorcycle or car maintenance before. I really don't want to screw up a $15K bike just to fook around and learn, so where do I start?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I too was (am) a wrenching retard, but through this forum and the club JVB speaks of, I've been able to learn and Do all the maintenance on my GS for the last 30K miles (I have 40K miles). JVB and may of the other club members are good teachers and make it look easy - alos check out the ADV Hall of Wisdom for some more great write ups. Once you suck it up and do it, it eally is pretty easy. This is one big advantage of the horizontal opposed twin - those jugs are out there and readily accessible - Just take your time and don't do it just before a big trip....

Great write up Jim... :thumb
  20. mad dog driver

mad dog driver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ? you could not pull the front engine cover without removing the sparkplug and turning the engine with the rear wheel?

Could you explain this in a little more detail.

This will be my first r12gs valve job, so i am moving slowly.

Thanks

Lee