R1200GS "Headlight Out" warning staying on even though the bulb works

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by J-Dash, Jan 3, 2007.

1. J-Dash

J-Dash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced the stock headlight bulb at 10000 miles and that PIAA burned out in less than 2400 miles later. So for $ reasons I put a Stanley H7 in there because I figured I'm not going to be serving my bike high end headlights if it just chews them and spits them out all the time.

So the other day here at work it rained pretty hard for about 2 hours. My 05 R12GS just sits outside everyday and it was in this storm. Anyways I go outside to crank the cranky bastard to go get lunch and the headlight warning light is on. Sure enough I have no light out front. After I get back from lunch I have to work for another 3 hours. When I go outside to leave work I crank the bike up, I forgot about the burnt out dim bulb, and notice that my headlight is now working. So I think...wtf?? However, the headlight warning light stays on, and has for the past week. My headlight is working though...what's causing this?
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bulb and arrow forward symbol comes on for the high beam, and the low beam and the turn signals, but not the parking lamp. Once you replace the bulb, you must start the bike for the fault to clear itself. If it remains on, there's something odd going on. Check to make sure the spring holding the bulb in place is nice and tight too and the bulb harness is on all the way in.
  3. PegasoPat

PegasoPat General Smart Ass

Oddometer:
    My 06 GS does something similar. I get the lamp signal and sure enough the high beam is out, but by pressing on the plug to the back of the headlight assembly the light comes on. I clear the fault signal when I restart. I have tried fixing the plug before and it worked for a bout four months but the wire seems to work loose and I start over. The dealer says he will fix it when it really breaks. The headlight always works when I take it in for service and the stored code is cleared from the system. They see a working headlight and assume it was out and then replaced and just ignore the code.
  4. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :D I had the same problem on my K1200R. I think a high resistance connection was my problem. Cleaned the connections, no problem.
  5. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    A little dielectric bulb grease is a good idea too.
  6. J-Dash

J-Dash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great advise so far guys and I appreciate it!
  7. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do any of you know what wattages or amps the ZFE is looking for in each of the bulbs?

Low beams
    High Beams
    Turn Signals
    Tail light
    Stop light

Thanks in advance,

Teoman
  8. zoomdude57

zoomdude57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a small driving lamp as well to check. Scratched my head for days until I saw the small bulb which is positioned in the lower right of the lens if you are looking at the front of the bike.
  9. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in there with the parking light. Same description. Not thinking I order the cheater kit for my HID (even though the light was still on, duh). Then after mention of the parking light changed it with a bulb from my tool box. Bulb cost pennies. Cheater kit not so much........:rofl
  10. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok then, I know this is an old thread but I am lost!

My 06 GS1200 shows a rear light fault on the dash, but the rear light is working fine, as is the stop light. But my low beam light is not working, although there is nothing wrong with the lamp itself???

Any ideas
  11. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my '07GSA I got a rear lamp failure, but saw that both the stop light and tail light were still working. Read the manual and found that when one of those filaments fails, the crafty computer via the CANbus sends lower voltage to the remaining filament to act as the tail light and when you apply the brake that same filament gets full voltage so it is brighter and acts as the brake light.

So, be sure and inspect the bulb itself to see if either filament is burned out.
    ultane, lewisjr1 and DRONE like this.
  12. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I shall have a look
  13. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following the above advice, I bought a new stop/tail lamp today, and sure enough as stated by jdub, the old lamp was working with one filament burned out, so new bulb fitted, rear light all back up and functioning as it should, the yellow warning signal on the dash was gone, and the big surprise, my low beam headlight was again back up and running, so all fixed.
    jdub likes this.