R1200GS INFO

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Redback, Mar 14, 2018.

1. mudmonster

mudmonster Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you read the Gs forums you’ll regularly find very high mileage Gs,s throughout the world and yes they do have issues but what mass produced bike doesn’t.
    Redback likes this.
  2. ozcruiser

ozcruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great bike great price the local wrecker brought ex hire r1200 gs 350.000 K still going strong until he wrecked it. The servo brakes need a full flush every year and make sure you use the ABS as much as possible I like kicking it in on dirt roads etc.
    Redback likes this.
  3. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    The ride home was brilliant just eats up the Ks and smooth for a big twin, I love it.

This is my first boxer and while it is smooth once you get to cruising speed I assumed it would be smoother, still smoother than my F650GS but not as smooth as the daughter 800 twin GS.

I had the chance to buy a DOHC 2011 R1200GS low suspension model with low seat for a bit more money with 117,000s on it but not in as good a condition and no panniers, it was also noticeably heavier even without the panniers, anyway it was more to use it as a test ride and while I did like it I was a bit cramped with the low seat and with no panniers that would have been an extra cost of $1800, if it had panniers and the standard seat I probably would have bought it, but I would have to clean it up to make it look better and I would not have been happy with the low suspension either even though it was much easier to touch the ground on it.

This bike is by far better to ride by a country mile, the standard seat is MUCH more comfortable, the standard feel so much better, so I think I've made the right decision, I love the way the suspension works it so compliant at slow speeds and then tightens up at speed and it's so easy to throw about, I love it so far.

I road it to work this morning:D
    Dukehunt and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  4. ozcruiser

Oddometer:
    Redback
    Give your local BMW dealer a call they will be happy to check if all the factory recalls have been done. BMW doesn't care how many owners all how old the bike is there straight on to fixing it at no cost to the owner.
    Redback likes this.
  5. Redback

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, bike was a one owner with service history as far as I can tell by the service book, the previous owner bought it new(Demo) from Brisans in Newcastle, last service was 80,000 at Worthington BMW Central Coast.

I will call Brisans and check though.

Baz.
  6. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Apart from my R100GS special, this is the most enjoyable bike I've owned.
    DSC00749.JPG
    Redback and slowbike smallpenis like this.
  7. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the elite class
    Redback and OzRider64 like this.
  8. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    I’m envious, had a 99 R1100GS with panniers and Staintune low pipe, the bike was immaculate.
    Pity about the muppet cage driver who decided to put his indicator on as I was alongside him and careered into the LHS of my bike flipping me over the handlebars, the bike was right off.:dirtdog
    Redback likes this.
  9. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    I should have said the 1100GS WAS the most enjoyable bike I've owned. The day after that photo was taken the front tire de-beaded (?) at 100 km/h and spat me off, breaking my lower leg and nearly putting me under the wheels of a B double.
    Redback likes this.
  10. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Well shite mate, I came off better than you did.
  11. Redback

Oddometer:
    Another question for the 1200GS Gurus, front wheel socket, what does everyone use??

AND

What's with the front forks not meeting the top triple clamp???:dirtdog:patch
  12. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
  13. Redback

Oddometer:
    Excellent thanks Dunc, might take a drive to Bunnings.

Baz.
  14. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum.

Oddometer:
    Here's mine. A couple of 21ml nuts with a 10ml Allen bolt welded in. Small, simple, effective.

image.jpeg
  15. Redback

Oddometer:
    Couple of photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

BygDaddee, Boxa, Clay-doh and 2 others like this.
  16. Quirky

Quirky Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The forks not meeting top triple clamp?
    The telelever front end requires the fork legs to pivot just slightly at the top triple clamp. One of the benefits is a front end that doesn't get shorter under compression. More stopping power!
    Redback likes this.
  17. Redback

Oddometer:
    It was a bit unsettling at first I must admit having never seen this before, the more I ride the bike the more surprised I am about how nimble it is for a big bike.

The only negative is the fuel gauge not being very accurate but I can live with that it's not a big deal really as long as the fuel light comes on at the right time.

Going for a ride today, lunch at Jamberoo Pub so will test the fuel economy while I'm at it.

Thanks, Baz.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  18. Redback

Oddometer:
    OK I'm looking to the future for tyres, and looking at 50/50 dual sport tyres, anyone had any experience withe Metzeler Karoo 3s.

Of cause if anyone has any recommendations on a good 50/50 tyre for the GS I'm all ears.

Baz.
  19. ozcruiser

Oddometer:
    I'm running a pirelli scorpion rally on the front and loving it had a cheap kings on the rear and wares fast losing traction fast probably try the Shinko 803 40-60 next on the drive while wearing the Pirelli out.
    I have read and been told by mates the Pirelli scorpion STR are very good I'm going to try these next round with a full set.
    I'm also keen to try the continental tc80's read great reports with a good mate running them on his Africa twin the front is wearing well but the rear is long gone around 4 thousand K but he loved that tyres bite.
    The best way to ride these beasts off road is to air down I like 25 to 28 PSI with my mag wheels but that depends on terrain also stand and use your legs and weight you be surprised how fast they are off road and don't worry they crash well. The next tip shocks make a huge difference on these beasts Wilbers or Ohlins will soak up the ruts unlike the worn WP's on your bike consider having them rebuild or replacement.
    Redback likes this.
  20. Redback

Oddometer:
    Excellent mate just the info I want, thanks.

Baz.