r1200gs - rear wheel balancing

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by _lee, May 14, 2017.

1. _lee

_lee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the DIY on getting the wheel on.

Since this wheel doesn't have a hole for balancing,

I am wondering can balancing be done when mounted?
    Do I need to buy the star mount tool to do it proper?
  2. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Counteract balancing beads. They are the size for trucks so they don't go through the valve stem. I put 2 oz in before I seat the bead. They work great and no wheel weights to mess with. I use them in the front also.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have a few choices, buy the adapter from www.marcparnes.com, beads, or don't bother. On many race BMWs they just don't bother. I do it because I have the adapter, but if I didn't, I wouldn't bother.
    RG1984 likes this.
  4. _lee

_lee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    and I have four spots where I have a minion air leak...F*&K
  5. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I use a Harbor Freight wheel balancer along with an inexpensive BMW wheel adapter that they sell.

I would highly advise against using any type of so called 'balancing beads'. Motorcycle Consumer News has proven that they do not work in motorcycle tires.
  6. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I base my recommendation of balancing beads on my own personal experience. They work for me.

Here is a nice video showing the science.

7. jogo

jogo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guy is doing the tireshifts for me (cars and bike) does only have a blancing machine suited for car wheels. When he first time mounted a tire for me I was very sceptical to his statement that the MC tires these days are so well manufactured that balancing is hardly necessary.
    He offered me, that if I would encounter the slightest problem, I could wherever I want, get the tire balanced and he would reimburse me. I am on the 3rd rear and second front tire since then, all mounted by the same guy, non balanced and never noticed a problem.
  8. BillGsa

BillGsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1st tire change l balanced the rims without tires to compensate for the TPM sensor, since then I just replace the tire.
    scottdc, Dogslobber and Smoke Eater 3 like this.
  9. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1. Not surprisingly both front and rear rims required weight 180 degrees from the TPM sensor.

I've installed several tires on this bike since then, and just for giggles I checked the balance on one after the tire was installed - balance was dead on.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  10. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put a rear Avon Trailrider on and it required 105g of weight to balance with a Marc Parnes balancer. Last one was 35g. Is that excessive? There was no mark indicating a heavy spot on the tire.
  11. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why balancing the rear isn't considered as important as the front. I would think any out of balance tire will affect the bikes performance.
  12. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok I cracked open a beer and had at it. After riding to get more weights I took the wheel off, cracked the beads and rotated it 180 degrees. It's now in balance with 30g, I'm happy with that. Next time I'll do a rough balance whilst the wheel is still half on the rim to see where the heavy spot is.
  13. AZTodd

AZTodd Been riding since cars had fins Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always used beads in the past, now with TPM they just wont work for me, now have to balance them with weights. I sure miss the beads. Maybe I will discard the BMW TPM and use an aftermarket TPM system that uses a small stem cap as the BMW system is always 2-3 pounds off anyway.

BTW, a service manager BMW shop in the Phoenix area explained to me beads are not good for the tire as they grind on the inside. I don't see what the big deal of the would be. Changing tires every 5-10 K miles shouldn't matter.
  14. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    Agree with JVB. Marc Parnes adapter on the Marc Parnes balancer is what I use.

Ah, the balance beads versus static weights discussion. Almost as passionate as motor oil brands, politics and religion. :y0!
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  15. Dwit

Dwit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    I had the parnes balancer for easily 15 year so I just added the adapter when a bought a rt. Maybe more tool then you need but you could change bike tires for a livening and never wear it out. On my new gs the factory weights fell off somewhere on the rear and I can’t tell any difference. My front isn’t long for this world and I doubt I will even touch it when I change the front tire.
  16. jbuggyus

jbuggyus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made an adapter out of pvc parts. Works great, about 3.00 in parts. 2" ma, 2" fa,(2) 2"to 1/2 "reducers
  17. Yatzee426

Yatzee426 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the PVC parts adapter. Almost pulled the trigger a few times on a Mark Parnes adapter but why when the cheap pvc adapter works? Maybe I just like buying tools?
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine has balanced hundreds of wheels, and painted a few!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    This
  20. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    I also use a double sided balancer and the marc parnes adapter. The balancer was about $100 and does not take up much space I put it on top of a cabinet out of the way when not in use.

Keep in mind the balancer also is very handy for checking and trueing spoked rims of all types. Even if it's just a little weight I always have a better balanced wheel. I raced for 7 years in the local road race club (AFM) and if you said such nonsense about the tire not needing to be balanced they would laugh you right away from the tire truck. That said: all they ever used were hand balancers. Yes I know that's not the standards I'm expecting to live up to on the street but for the time, money and peace of mind it's worth it to me (to use times tested reliable and safe methods).