R1200GS : Slow leak -Replacement of tire or a patch ?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Begoud, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Begoud

Begoud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

I have a slow leak on my rear Tourance (almost new - 1000 miles). It leaks at a rate of 10 psi (from 42 to 32) in 12 hours. I haven't had a flat in 25 years. Should the tire be replace (security) or can it be repared ? :dunno

Thanks
  2. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Do you know if it has a hole in it? Check the valve stem first just to make sure it isn't the problem. Not uncommon for the little insert to loosen if they took it out when they changed your tire.
  3. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    You repair the tire, probably a nail or screw in it. If so, I would just put a plug in as long as the hole is not in a sidewall.
  4. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    If theres a puncture, you can patch it but DON'T "just put a plug in it". You need to patch it from the inside using a "patch plug". These are available from NAPA parts. It consists of a round flat patch with an integral plug enclosed in a metal sheath which enables you to press the plug thru the tire wall from the inside while seating the flat patch at the same time. You use "universal cement" and the patch becomes one with the inner surface. The plug and patch are all one piece so the plug can't suddenly "blow out" thru the hole, the way a sticky string patch you insert from the outside. And they WILL do that!! Don't cut any corners--do it right.

But find the leak first--maybe the bead didn't seat correctly. Use a spray watter bottle with soapy water and look for bubbles.
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    That is not right it's just hard to do

Anyway, I just plug them. It gernerally works great and if it doesn't it's no big deal.
    My rule is, I will plug them twice. If that doesn't fix it, I will use a patch but not a patch plug. And this is something I never had to do.

I believe JimVonBaden has a tutorial on pluging on his web site. It’s easy
  6. Lank

Lank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would put that sucker in water and find out where, could be a bead leak, a little goober in there can cause that easily.
  7. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on "just plugging it" Plugs are quick and very, very durable. I have ridden a number of tires their full life with multiple plugs in them. Never seen one even come close to blowing out.

Mike
  8. hojo in sc

hojo in sc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would remove the tire and put in a better seal/patch, the ones used to repair from the inside that has a worm and a patch combo. Sorry, I don't have the link here on this computer.
  9. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats great that you have never seen one blow out. But I have. And the tire deflated very quickly as if it had a large hole in it. And I had another slowly squeezing out. So take your chances on 2 wheels. Or don't. :wave
  10. hojo in sc

hojo in sc Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a car or truck, repairing the tire is ok as long as it's not on the side wall, but not on a motorcycle. Plugs and patches are a temporary fix until you can get somewhere safe to replace the tire. My wife picked up a nail in one of her tires which had only about 1500 miles on it. I replaced it because being safe is worth the money.
    just my .02
  12. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a nice self-tapping screw (3/4") in my rear tire this past weekend.
    No problem...I've got an inflator and a plugger...oh yeah...I left them with the rest of my tools on the bench and failed to put them back in the bike when I was done working on another project.

Well...d'oh.

Tourances had about 8,000 miles on them and local trailer sales dealer saved the day by actually having a 'plug'. Made it back home but decided to replace with new tires. Decided it wasn't worth it to try to get the last couple thousand miles out of them.

Woody mounted them and I'm good for another 10,000+.

Also installing a Doran Tire Pressure Monitor.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tire_Plugging.html

Jim :brow