R1200GS Tire Change Pictorial

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Feb 8, 2006.

1. RightSpin

RightSpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to worry Jim, I ordered a coupling nut from McMaster Carr which should do the job.

It looks like the Craftsman socket I have, also a 13/16", is plated too thick at the end. It just barely won't fit.

Thanks for the help though.
  2. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd throw this in, since its a tire thread, Ever since I slid out with new tires on my klr by not waiting to properly " break em in" I take a palm sander with 150 grit to the outer surfaces of the tread to break the glaze of the mold release. Just a little safety margin if you can't wait to start bangin' turns
  3. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Re: the HF tire changer, is the one that use in stock condition or did you have modify it for the GS style wheels (I've got spoke wheels) as some people have?

Nice post
    Steven
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the machine completely stock. It works great on the stock wheels. Just make sure you add some plastic, or teflon, protectors where the wheel get's clamped in.

Jim :brow
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about making it into a video? :D I'm serious... then send it to me, I'll convert it to DVD and you can make it available "Motorcycle Tire Changing for Dummies" DVD. Charge a couple of bucks and people will be happy to buy it!

Where do you get those plastic rim covers?
  6. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a couple of bucks.

I really like JohnJen's, Jav's series of pdf's (OVAD etc)- if someone could turn these into a series of DVD's, I would certainly be interested in buying a set.

There's lots of great experience in this place and I'm learning :clap I love it, it's great.

Regarding the rim protectors, I did see them somewhere but I cant remember where. However I've found this place
  7. Seymour

Seymour Cross country runner

Oddometer:
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Right, Bob's is where I got mine, through a friend. They are $8 a set of two. I have seen them at the better UJM shops as well.

PS We are having a tire tech day next month if anyone in the area is interested. I will see if anyone wants to film that, a balance, and a basic 6K.

I'm not much interested in making money on it, but might charge a couple bucks for postage and DVD's. I have the DVD capability.
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    Dvd sounds good.. count me in.

What's the trick to removing the front wheel axel bolt? I can fit the back end of the spark plug socket into the front axel. Is it just a matter of loosening it? Why did you insert the socket from the other side then? :ear

Thanks! :thumb
  10. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Because my socket had the hole for the extension only on one side instead of all the way through. Otherwise I would have fed the extension trough the socket to engage it from the correct side.

Don't forget to remove the calipers and loosen the pinch bolt.

11. GB

Oddometer:
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    right!

[​IMG] See it there?

Yup, $69 on sale at HF for both parts.

This is the whole thing assembled.

[​IMG]

13. GB

Oddometer:
    That's a really good sale price.. how often do they go on sale? any ideas?

Thanks.. I'd like to get it soon.
  14. kjackson

kjackson It's just me...

Oddometer:
    Jim, your wheels are cast right? I’m wondering the same thing that Steven is about the wire wheels. I’ve got a HF tire changer and it looks like the ‘holding clamps’ (I don’t know what the hell they’re called) may not be big enough to correctly grip the wire rims. With the spokes configured the way they are on the wire rim the lip where the ‘holding clamps’ grab on to the rim is much wider on the wire rim than the cast rim.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    Has anyone successfully used the stock HF changer on the wire rims?

BTW nice job. Not to hijach but... How you liking them new Avons in the dirt? I'm looking at them as replacements for my Dunlops.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]Kermit[/FONT]
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Around here they go on sale every couple months!

16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Hi Kermit :wave

I have used the HF on my 11GS, on a KLR and on a couple RT's and an R1150R. Wire wheels actually work just fine. The 11GS was wires, as was the KLR. The thicker rim just means you have to be sure to tighten the clamp a bit more, but they don't damage the wheel if you use a little teflon or nylon in the groove. I also like this pieces of leather. They wont slip like teflon, and protect the rim nicely, but make the wire wheels a bit a of a tight fit.

17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    OK, So I found my tire balancing lacking from my recent tire change. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    For some reason the borrowed Marc Parnes balancer didn't get my front wheel right, it was 20 grams off. And, of course the 2" hole on the rear wheel was too large for the MP balancer, so it didn't get balanced at all. No doubt my fault for misusing the MP balancer.<o:p></o:p>
    I went to the MP site and got sticker shock at the price of the balancer and adapter for the 12GS. It was $105 for the balancer, and $70 more for the adapter got my 12GS rear wheel. Which is, BTW, the same for the 12RT/ST/S/R and K12S and R also.<o:p></o:p>
    So I decided to see if I could make or buy something cheaper. And though it may be slightly less accurate, it does work just fine if you want to make your own.<o:p></o:p>
    So, here is the list of parts I purchased to make my own balancer.<o:p></o:p>
    *12" 1X6 board, $1.50<o:p></o:p>
    *14" legs for table (2) @ $4.35<o:p></o:p>
    *Leg mounting plate (2) @ $2.49<o:p></o:p>
    *L-brackets 1" set of four $2.50<o:p></o:p>
    *Skateboard bearings (8) $12.99 (I have 4 extra)<o:p></o:p>
    *1/2" 3' aluminum rod, cut in half $3.29<o:p></o:p>
    *1/2" washers packs of four (5) $2.90<o:p></o:p>
    *1/2" axel clips (2) 1.29<o:p></o:p>
    *Orange funnel set $1.99<o:p></o:p>
    *Wheel balancer at HF for $19.99, on sale.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Here it is assembled. It holds the wheel up, unlike the MP unit which requires to equal height props to hold the balancer.<o:p></o:p>
    With the rod assembly. I simply drilled holes in it for the axel clips, and cut the funnels down. Those are skateboard wheels, but I later used just the washers, It was more stable.<o:p></o:p>
    A close-up of the bearings shows how I added screws to the sides of the brackets to keep them from turning.<o:p></o:p>
    I would have instead added flat metal brackets between the two brackets, and may still to ensure alignment.<o:p></o:p>
    A closeup.<o:p></o:p>
    On an old K-bike wheel I had for testing. The skateboard wheels were a bit loose, and made the wheel sloppy. Removing them and adding more washers firmed it up. I would prefer some wood or metal cones instead to eliminate the wobble, but couldn't find any. Maybe a hobby store. I'll keep looking.<o:p></o:p>
    I did it in the usual way, spin, observe, spin observe, spin ovserve where the tire keeps stopping. After 5-6 spins a pattern came up. I added some weight and spun it several more times and got random stops confirming the wheel was balanced. I took the weights off and tried again, getting similar results. I even added extra weights to confirm it would stop at the heavy spot and it did.
    Success!<o:p></o:p>

I later removed my GS front and checked it. I had to remove 20 grams of weight, it now is balanced and actually needed no weight at all.<o:p></o:p>
    Now for the rear wheel.<o:p></o:p>
    My $20 HF wheel balancer.<o:p></o:p>
    Centering the wheel was critical since it didn't line up with any of the grooves. I later marked it for future use. This picture shows it already balanced. When the weights were off it drooped to one side.<o:p></o:p>
    Adding weight to the rim edge got me balanced. The wheel had none from the factory, but must have been OK with the old tires on it. It was 42 grams off with the new tire. :eek1
    From the top you can see it is balanced on the unit.<o:p></o:p>
    See the bubble? That was as close as I could get it. I added the weights to the wheel, 3-7gm weights to each side of the rim, and put it back on. Perfect.<o:p></o:p>
    I took the bike out for a spin, 200 plus miles, and it was great. Before it felt shakey, and I was concerned that it was an out of round tire. Kinda bouncy at low speed, morphing into a fine vibration at high speeds.<o:p></o:p>
    I took it up to 100, and pulled the clutch and let it coast down to 30. Glassy smooth all the way.<o:p></o:p>
    So, for $37.66 for the front wheel balancer, and $19.99 for the rear, total of $57.65 (say $62 with tax) I had a decent set-up that works, and is very useable. <o:p></o:p>
  18. yelostn78

yelostn78 Have GS will Travel

Oddometer:
    What a great thread, My Dad got the HF tire mounting stand. Haven't used it yet, But I plan to soon. I have a 1150gs andI have been running the anakees, I was curious about the Avon's though. I am interested in how they do on gravel, the anakees seem to do allright off pavement when I lower the air pressure a little. Anyways,
    Great thread:D
  19. kv

kv [insert witty comment here]

Oddometer:
    :huh

Is Bridgestone aware of this?

:dunno

:lol3

:hide

Great write up otherwise.:thumb
  20. JimVonBaden