R1200GS Tire Change Pictorial

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Feb 8, 2006.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good lube and leather swatches from a furniture store work best for me. The leather is more resistant to breakthrough from hard pulling of the levers IMHO.

Jim :brow
  2. NoleDiver

NoleDiver trees are hard

Oddometer:
    You can also use an old chamois. Just cut a piece you need then double it over.
  3. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a welding glove for the leather pieces. Worked great, didn't tend to want to slide around like the plastic we used last time. Managed to do it without help even.......and that was using just one old bicycle tire iron.:lol3
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Good ideas! I like the glove because you could use the fingers over the tire irons. Off to HF to get a few cheap sets!:thumb

5. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, NOW you come up with this idea after I already threw the fingers away.:lol3
  6. Pedal-Boy

Pedal-Boy ride till you puke

Oddometer:
    Jim thanks for the info on the tire change. I just put a set on tkc on my gs 1200 One question, On the tires it says max press is 35 psi, but in my owners manual it says you can go up to 42 psi. Which one is right?
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Well, officially you should follow the max specs on the tire.

That said, more importantly, you should follow the specs that give you the best cross of traction, tire wear, and tire life.

For the TKCs, IIRC, the pressures are lower than the more street oriented tires.

I know some who run the TKC rear at 40psi.

8. Pedal-Boy

Pedal-Boy ride till you puke

Oddometer:
    OK thanks i will probably go on the high side to keep the tires lasting a little longer.
  9. Jrney

Jrney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth...
    In an earlier post the Marc Parnes Balancer was quoted at $105 with the adapter for the rear wheel priced at $70. The price on the adapter must have changed drastically, because it's now listed at $35.
    I just bought the both of them as a kit(BG12) with two standard cones for the front and the oversized adapter for the rear for $140 with free shipping from Marc's website www.MarcParnes.com . The price was the same on a few other websites, but nobody else included free shipping.
    In addition, if you order the stick-on weight strips at the same time ($2/strip), he'll throw them in the same box without any additional shipping charges. He shipped my package out the next day by Priority Mail and I had it two days later.

Doug Nord
    '09 R12GSAdventure
  10. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Many prior posts on this with [big surprise!] many opinions...I use 37 psi front and 41 psi rear in my '07 GSA used almost 100% off road...I weigh 190 lbs and carry about 100 lbs of gear on long trips...that pressure gives great traction and helps prevent rock punctures [if and when I get into bottomless sand or mud I will then will drop pressure to 28 front and back and then pump back up once on hard ground; so far in mud/water/loose dirt the higher pressure has worked fine]...

Only tires I will ever use unless somebody produces a tire with better off road traction and one that will carry the weight...so far only TKC fits that profile...

I don't run them above about 70 mph....well maybe a little bit above that :wink: Primarily it is speed and accelerating/stopping too rapidly that kills the mileage you can get with these tires...my opinions only.
  11. UtahSooner

UtahSooner awagnon

Oddometer:
    Jim, I owe you one. I was just about to buy a rediculously expensive tool for removing the front axle of my new (used) 1200GS, and then I saw your post about using a Sears 13/16" socket. I just happened to be a Sears today so I bought one. To be sure it would fit, I turned around and grabbed a 22mm open end wrench to make sure it would fit. Then I took it home and drilled a hole through it. Why? I don't carry a 3/8" socket drive with me on the road. With a hole through the socket, I can stick a Phillips screwdriver through the hole and probably get enough torque to remove the axle. Thanks for saving me $$$. If you ever see me, remind me I owe you a cool drink of your choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. mr_guns

mr_guns Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer:
    Great idea to an already good idea :freaky
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by UtahSooner
    I don't carry a 3/8" socket drive with me on the road. With a hole through the socket, I can stick a Phillips screwdriver through the hole and probably get enough torque to remove the axle.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    :nod :thumb

14. MDB

MDB I am not advised

Oddometer:
    JVB--why didn't you change the valve stems?
  15. daGeeeze

daGeeeze Geeezed lightning

Oddometer:
    While this thread is back on top I'll add this.

When I have my tires dismounted and the rims somewhat clean I put them alone on my Marc Parnes balancer. That lets me mark either the heavy or light side. I'm lazy and mark the light side since it stops at the top.

Then I have a reference after mounting the new tires. With some reasoning about where the mounted set stops turning you can figure out if you want to break it down and rotate the tire to help minimize the weight used.
  16. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jim, do these tech days or any other maintenance classes, still take place anywhere? (Maybe a little closer to NOVA/Richmond)? I tried the link above but it is dead.
    I think that your DVD's and pictorials on ADV rider are GREAT! You will be on my laptop out in the garage next week helping me to tackle my first 24K service on my GS. As the old saying in medicine goes, "see one, do one, teach one!"
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    They happen all over. Try this link: http://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17391

Thanks,