1. eNewsletter Sign Up

R1200GS wont start ! Stranded in PH

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bracedoc, May 16, 2010.

1. bracedoc

bracedoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a long layup, > year, I charged my r12gs for a short morning outing. When i tried to start it, it cranks happily , but doesn't light. Where to start. Fuel is old. I live in Phx. I did put some stabile in a long time ago. I have been starting it every 3 -5 months, but only briefly.

Should I get an injector cleaner a dump into 1/4 tank of gas? Should I replace fuel first? How can I check injectors for flow with simple tools. Thanks
  2. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Formerly Known as Tork

Oddometer:
    My first thought would be fuel pump controller , was it stored outside?
    Do you hear the pump when cranking?

search for threads on fuel pump controller this is a known problem that has been recalled there is also a inmate that sells a by pass cable.

Tork
  3. bracedoc

bracedoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It was stored in a garage. I have sprayed starting fluid in the air intake. It runs for 20-30 sec and dies, so its a fuel issue.

Yes, I can hear the fuel pump. Does that mean the fuel pump controller is not an issue ?
  4. JPSpen

JPSpen At Large

Oddometer:
    The fact that it'll run on ether tells you it's definately a fueling issue.
    Pull one of the fuel injector input lines and see if gas is flowing.
    You could pull the injectors and try to back flush them with carb cleaner.
    Maybe soaking them overnight would free them up if that's the problem.
    Of course that might wreck them as well....

If you hear the fuel pump running then maybe the fuel filter is plugged..

It doesn't take much water to stop that filter from flowing fuel...
    Maybe you've got some water on the bottom of the tank...She won't run on water...
    Drain, refill with fresh gas ?
    I think I'd start with that.. Drain the tank and put some good gas in it...
    Maybe change the fuel filter....

John
  5. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    there are a number of threads about R1200GS's not starting after storage,, did you put stabil in it? I'm thinking a combo of high alcohol fuel plus the stabil gummed up the injectors. The fix was new injectors for me,, under warranty since it was an 08. Maybe you can pull them off. soak em , blow them out??

also there is a known issue with the fuel controller.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561227&highlight=fuel+injectors
  6. bracedoc

bracedoc Adventurer

Oddometer:

ReCap:

1) '06 R1200GS won't start after long layup.
    2) Charged Battery, Cranks well
    3) Drained old gas and added fresh with injector cleaner additive (Lucas)
    4) Starts and runs briefly if I spray starter fluid in the air intake.
    5) Fuel pump runs , so fuel pump/controller is not the primary issue.
    6) Read old posts and bought new battery of different make.

What next? I have searched the site and not found clear instructions on checking the injectors and replacing them.

Any ideas , advise, or resources appreciated.

I am adverse to towing to shop. My preferred dealer is ironhorse in Tucson.
  7. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Formerly Known as Tork

Oddometer:
  8. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    I'd stop spraying starting fluid in there...just my .02:deal :huh
    slipknot likes this.
  9. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you take out an injector but leave it hooked up and then crank the starter you should be able to see the injector spraying fuel. If it doesn't, then either its not getting a signal from the moronic, or much more likely it is clogged. Oh, unplug the spark plug wire and make sure it's not near any metal before you do that!
    I think there's also a test where you measure the amount of fuel the injector delivers in a certain amount of time, but I don't have any details on how to do that.
  10. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    You live in Arizona and you let it sit for over a year? There is a preventive measure for this problem and it's called "riding it". :lol3
    Idahocharley likes this.
  11. papaj

papaj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would pour a can (1 pint) of straight Seafoam into the tank. (Drain the gas) Try to start so it get into the injectors, then let it set overnight. I should loosen the crud up within a day or two. Seafoam is great stuff, I add a few ounces every tank full...it not only cleans the injectors it also stabalizes the fuel.
  12. bracedoc

bracedoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. GREATLAKESADVRIDER

GREATLAKESADVRIDER Banned

Oddometer:
  14. bracedoc

bracedoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I obtained a new injector, and tested it. NO Mist.

...So, the fuel pump controller is bad ?

or

the fuel pump is bad ?

or

A fuse is blown? Do BMW's with canbus have fuses or equivalent?

How can I test the fuel pump before I buy a new controller?
  15. GREATLAKESADVRIDER

GREATLAKESADVRIDER Banned

Oddometer:
    Remove the injector from the fuel line and crank her over. If gas shoots out of that line like a water hose, your pump is fine. If not, your pump/controller is bad. Make sure you have enough fuel in the tank for the pump even to work.
  16. Burnszilla

Burnszilla BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer:
    You can test it with a GS-911 diagnostic tool which will tell you if there is a fault or for less money bypass the fuel pump controller with a fuel pump bypass cable.
  17. nevermind

nevermind Wrong Again

Oddometer:
  18. Burnszilla

Burnszilla BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer:
    Hey doc,
    Nice talking with you...
    Let us know if the bypass cable diagnoses the problem.
  19. bracedoc

bracedoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ReCap:

1) '06 R1200GS won't start after long layup.
    2) Charged Battery, Cranks well
    3) Drained old gas and added fresh with injector cleaner additive (Lucas) Won't Start.
    4) Starts and runs briefly if I spray starter fluid in the air intake.
    5) Fuel pump runs , so fuel pump/controller is not the primary issue. WRONG!!! I misdiagnosed it. Fuel Pump NOT Running.
    6) Read old posts and bought new battery of different make.
    7) Removed the injectors and soaked them for 2 hours in Chemtool solution.

Result: They look cleaner, but the toluene caused the brownish O-ring to swell considerably and when I tried to replace the injector, the O-ring broke.

8) Installed new injectors. Still won't start.

Question: I turned the key on and cranked the engine with the injectors removed from the fuel lines. I expected a large flow, but got a measley one instead. Is that normal? Is it high pressure and low volume?

Answer: (in retrospect) There should be a large flow while cranking the engine with the key on.

One post said the R12GS fuel pump circulates fuel whenever the switch is on. Is this correct?

Answer: NO. The fuel pump controller turns the fuel pump on briefly when the key is turned on(on my 05 r12 GS) , but turns it back off quickly. The fuel pump runs when the key is on and the engine is cranked.

8) Purchased and installed new fuel pump controller. Turned the key on and tried to start...nothing. Removed the injectors and tried the fuel line...no gas.

(side note - I was not yet knowledgeable to to crank the engine in this condition, so I don't know what the result would have been)

9) Talked to Steven Burns and purchased a Fuel Pump Bypass cable from him.

10) While waiting for the cable to arrive, I decided to remove the fuel pump/fuel strainer/ fuel gauge assembly and test it with direct 12V power. Result: The pump spun happily when supplied with 12V to the two leads on the actual pump.

When I removed the assembly, the strainer (plastic) and the flexible (plastic)fuel line from the actual fuel pump to the quick connect where the fuel line come out of the tank, was "rotten" and broken open. Whether it was broken before I removed it or not, I don't know. It could have been the original source of the bike not starting.

10) Purchased new Strainer from BMW ~$45 and regular fuel hose from AutoCraft with 2 hose clamps.

Meanwhile the bypass cable arrived.

11) I replaced the broken hose and strainer and reinstalled the fuel pump.

Result the engine starts and runs briefly (20 -30 secs) and dies. Could not rev engine without dying. This with the original FPC, I did this 4 -5 times with a few minutes rest in between as I replaced the body parts that had to be removed for this job. After several tries, it would idle for minutes. By this time it was late and I didn't want to disturb my neighbors, so...

12 I installed the bypass cable, removed one fuel line and injector and used the pump to drain the tank again. My next step is to get more clean fresh gas and try again.

Suggestions?
  20. nevermind

nevermind Wrong Again

Oddometer:
    After installing injectors and ridding the area of open gas containers and gas fumes, check for spark. Replace the plugs if you have good spark at the cap.