R1200GSA Charcoal Canister Removal

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Hotspice, Mar 10, 2007.

1. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Before your remove your cannister, just remember, it is illegal.

In addition, the Clean Air Act amendments of 1990 (in section 42 USC,
    section 7522, or section 203(a)(3)(b) of the Clean Air Act) which were
    written after the above enforcement policy, included a prohibition on
    the manufacture, sale, or use of emission control defeat devices (like
    "Power Commander" products, and exhaust systems that eliminate catalytic
    converters).

Penalties for violations of the above prohibitions are listed in Section
    205 of the Clean Air Act. Maximum penalties for tampering by a dealer
    or manufacturer are $32,500. Maximum penalties for anyone else, or for
    defeat device violations are $3,250 per vehicle for tampering and per
    part for defeat devices. :deal
  2. G-van drone

G-van drone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jesus - what a finger-wagging nanny you are. Removal or modification is illegal in Kalifornicate only - and that's if they catch you. And it's virtually impossible to perform any sort of test outside of a laboratory to determine if the thing is even working properly - even if it is still attached & connected - that doesn't say much for the effectiveness of any exhaust emission inspections - they check what's coming out of the tailpipe, and they aren't very good at that, either. Check your copy of CFR Title 40 . . . there's no federal evaporative emission requirement for motorcycles (which is what evap cannisters are for). California only. Aside from that, can you cite any instances where Joe Blow of the two-wheeled variety has received any fine/jail time of any sort regarding this modification?
  3. kiwirider650

kiwirider650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotta sue some poor sod for something! Its ok Australia is following suit! Cant wait! We may as well all call it a day. Bring back the 50s and 60s.
    ozcruiser likes this.
  4. wordstunner

wordstunner Devil Dogface

Oddometer:
    You have made this removal a piece of cake. Took me no time at all to complete. Great job! :clap
    VASELINO likes this.
  5. BobFV1

BobFV1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I removed the cannister on my 06 GS ADV when I replaced the stock suspension with Ohlins - I needed the extra room back there.

There is another reason to remove it. The bike is expensive and generally made with high-quality, aesthetically pleasing materials. The charcoal cannister is an ugly thing in plain view, attached to the bike with three common metal hose clamps - it is needlessly ugly and should be utterly destroyed in a trash compactor after removal.

Hotspice - that's a great tutorial. :thumb
  6. I would theorize its minimal but attributable to the fact that in properly removing it you can increase engine vacuum (minimally) which is almost always a good thing. The thing works in conjunction with an electronically controlled valve synched to your injectors (I think) which regulates engine vacuum in pulses to the canister to slowly remove the accumulation of vapors. If you block this small additional vacuum "leak" on your engine, you can use that vacuum to better tune and build power. Theoretically... In reality, I don't think anyone would know the difference except perhaps a dynometer.
  7. dedsmurf

dedsmurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the canister is on the front right embedded into the right lower part of the fuel tank. the electronic valve is just above the canister. are the tubes the same?
    1. one from throttle body to electronic valve
    2. from fuel tank overflow (I believe) to top of canister
    3. from bottom of canister to open air exiting by the shock
    4. one for electronic valve to canister.
  8. Zuma Man

Zuma Man Zumaman

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set of Ohlin shocks for my '07 R1200GS from Dan Kyle racing. The BM437 for the front and the BM543 with resevoir for the rear. To accommodate the resevoir on the rear shock the evaporative canister must be removed. Rather than "chucking" the canister, I would like to relocate it. Does anyone have any suggestions where the canister be relocated? Can the canister be re-installed horizontally?

Zuma Man
  9. LIL ZING

LIL ZING Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put on set of Elka's front and back on the 07' GSA and had planned to put the remote there for the front but the area was alittle too small. Although I did pull the charcoal thingy off and put it in the box with the rest of the crap I pull off like the stock exhast with the cat on it. This was a very simple thing to do and above all else I can see my new shock now.

Thanks
  10. tomla

tomla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cali is about to pass a law mandating smog inspections for bikes...unless we get off our assess and raise a stink...see this months "City Bike" paper or online edition for details...

11. JayhawkGSA

JayhawkGSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a cool idea. Did you ever implement it?
  12. wazabmw

wazabmw n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi does a year 2008 R1200 GSA have a charcoal canister
    Cheers
    Wazabmw :1drink
  13. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Yes, At some point BMW moved the cannister to the lower front right portion of the fuel tank.
  14. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    are the removal instructions shown above the same for the current bikes? are the vacuum cap points the same?

thanks in advance,
  15. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    Nope Obie, from '10 on it's a new canister and new location.

[​IMG]

I'm going to peek around today, I pulled the parts fiche from Max BMW so I can follow the hoses pretty easily. If I get time today, I might remove it. If not, it'll be next week. Priorities, I have a Remus can to install along with a bunch of Touratech goodies....:D

Nice seeing you over here Obie. :wave

Chris
  16. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    Hiyas, Chris, and thanks for the welcome :clap

I removed my cannister yesterday....used some vacuum caps and small zip ties (for safety) to cover the three holes (two at the electronic valve, one on the left throttle body),removed an excess amount of fuel overflow hose and coupled it to the main one coming from the tank.

Fairly easy i will say, much less involved than the ones typically found on an Italian bike :wink:

Thanks for the note,
  17. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    Sweet, thanks for the run through Obie! I might tackle that tomorrow along with removing that silly exhaust flap.

And yes, much easier than Ducati's box o'hoses...
  18. LJ L.A.

LJ L.A. n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello dear members of the forum,

The charcoal canister on my 2008 GS is in the same place than on Borracho's bike (below the right side of the tank with the fuel tank valve in front of it) and I need some extra room in this area for a modification. Can I ask you 2 questions?

1. Would you have a run through with pictures of the removal of the canister placed in this area?
    2. Do you know if the fuel tank valve has to be below the tank to work correctly or can I mount it higher on the bike frame?

Many thanks for your help,

LJ
  19. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    it's very much the same.....start by removing the hoses from the canister itself (note where they go/come from) and the electric valve....the electronic valve stays in its place (it's on the same mount as the canister if my memory serves me, if not, leave it where it is), both of its nipple ends get capped (i zipped tied mine down to be safe).......again, trace the hose lines where they go/come from.....you must disconnect the hose that runs to the left throttle body (disconnect it at the nipple) and then place a vacuum cap on it (i zip tied mine to be safe). that hose runs under the tank plastics and over to the other side and connects into canister (remove it).....one of the short hoses on the canister runs directly to the electric valve, remove both ends and set that hose aside....you have to couple together the overflow hose that comes from the tank (under the plastics) to the overflow line that empties below (near the exhaust/center stand) and which runs on the right side of the motorcycle (i took excess hose out so to help gravity do its thing).......that is how i remember it from memory.....it's definitely not hard as long as you pay attention to the hose orientation, capping off the nipples, and properly hanging the overflow line.

i'd love it if someone would validate what i've said.

best success,
  20. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    So I'm installing a set of Ohlins and have to remove the canister.

I don't have the plugs right now and am DYING to go for a ride tomorrow. Can I just plug off the hoses at the end of the canister?

I don't really care so much for looks so if I can get away with that, woohoo!

Oh yeah, 2007 GSA...