R1200GSA Charcoal Canister Removal

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Hotspice, Mar 10, 2007.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pull all the hoses off, cut a couple 1" lengths of hose and plug both of the throttle bodies with a small bolt in each hose. Then complete the rest of the process.

Jim :brow
  2. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Jim to the rescue!

But here is my logic on just plugging the hoses...

Oh wait now I u derstand the routing. Dammit.
  3. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I suppose you think the GS is aesthetically pleasing?

The GS looks like a farm implement...maybe a stump grinder or a log splitter.

J I Case tractors are more aesthetically pleasing.
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your opinion once again.... :D
  5. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    It is a pleasure.:rofl
  6. matthangen

matthangen 07' R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer:
    Montgomery, AL/Kara, Togo/ Oklahoma City, Ok
    I just upgraded to Ohlins and had to take off the charcoal canister to accommodate the shock reservoir. I "had to" because I broke the second hose connection off the top of the canister and figured i'd just go with it instead of rerouting. My question is this: What do I do with the hose in the images that is right next to ohlins canister?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  7. matthangen

Oddometer:
    Is this supposed to be "t'd" into the other one? What am I missing guys?
  8. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:

Has anything changed legally or is def still on the cutting edge of nanny speak?
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Smog inspection for motorcycles in all states can't be far away. The manufacturer isn't doing this for nothing.

As far as I know only Arizona smog bikes and that is only in some/one county.

We have had 'fix it' tickets in SoCal for after market exhaust, and now they can't be signed off by a LEO, you have to go to a smog shop according to CHP.

The smog equipment does work tremendously well. The charcoal canister is a pain, but unspent gasoline is more corrosive than spent.

The ideal is coming....smog equipment that doesn't adversely affect performance and doesn't look like shit on a motorcycle. BMW moved theirs to behind the tank on the 1200GS, so at least it's not in the way and you can't see it.

Over the last 30 odd years I have been removing the equipment from all my personal vehicles, but just lately I haven't bothered. There is no appreciable performance gain anymore and the asthetics are getting better and better.

For competition work weight and minute gains in breathing are ultimate, but for everyday road use it's just not needed anymore. Even the most anemic machine moves along at above legal speeds without modification. Better to spend your talents/time/money on suspension, or better still just ride the bike more.

Guys (and some gals) like to tinker and invent, so we will always modify what we have, for no other reason than just to 'tinker'. Sometimes you will find the outcome is assbackards. Exhausts are a case in point. Often the dyno will show LESS power after an exhaust installation! We perceive our modifications to be beneficial because they go BRMM BRMMM like a race machine, when all the time we ought to be training ourselves like racers and not replicating the purpose built machinery they use on the track.
  10. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
  11. matthangen

Oddometer:
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Sorry then, I have no idea where it goes. I do not have that on my bike.

Jim :brow
  13. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some states (California?) have their own emission testing laws, but most rely on federal EPA rules which require emissions on counties with populations of greater than 200 people per square mile. I'm not sure where motorcycles fit in because I live in a county where the population would have to quadruple before emissions would be required. In fact, New Mexico only has one county (Bernalillo, home of Albuquerque) where emissions testing is required. I don't see that changing nationally any time soon. Maybe some states will implement more restrictive measures, but that's also unlikely for any state that doesn't already have state mandated emissions.

Geof
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Doubt if more restrictive measures will be introduced. The measures are there and the smog equipment is there. BMW now make EVERY vehicle for import to USA to comply with 50 State emissions
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Is that hose overflow from the fuel tank? There is a evaporative system schematic somewhere on the net I'll bet.
  16. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The overflow hose should be a simple drain hose that connects to a tank barb and ends below the transmission. The vent hose runs to all the emissions stuff. You can tee the vent hose into the drain hose or simply run the vent hose down the same route as the overflow hose if you're performing a canisterectomy.
  17. matthangen

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm thinking/hoping it is too, the bike is running fine with it open, any harm leaving it where it is?
  18. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as your tank vents and you've not left any vacumn hose open on your throttle bodies, you're golden.:deal
  19. TXjames

TXjames High Sider

Oddometer:
    Have a look at post number one again...

"Personally I didn't like the way the hose was routed so I removed the line that had the 90' bend and it's connector and replaced it with standard fuel line from my local auto Parts Store."

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:

The tank vent goes through the canister, the idea is to not have unspent corrosive fuel in the atmosphere.