R1200GSA Charcoal Canister Removal

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Hotspice, Mar 10, 2007.

1. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but that wasn't the op here and the canister is of no use if the vacumn line to the throttle body is disconnected. :deal
  2. Zombie34E

Zombie34E ross

Oddometer:
    Any write up for an 1100gs?
  3. Hubbman

Hubbman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What happens if you plug the hose coming from the tank as opposed to connecting this hose to drain hose below the tranny on the right hand side?

Will overflow fuel back up and cause problems?

Thanks!
  4. Cigars&Scotch

Cigars&Scotch My eyes are up here Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2013 GSA has the canister attached to the fuel tank and the valve is mounted to the right front side of the bike.
  5. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure this is an 1100, but regardless, the vid addresses the "why remove" question, and if you enjoy Chris's humor (as I do), it's a good watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H907BjGC0Pc
  6. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Does any one have a canister from a 2007 GSA that they would be willing to part with?
  7. Hubbman

Hubbman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eh' never mind, I went back an re-routed the line coming from the fuel tank. It's now routed to empty any overflow out the right side line under the bike.
  8. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any tips from removing the canister from a '14 GSW? There doesn't seem to be a can on my bike.
  9. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    On the US bikes, I believe it to be hidden underneath one of the side panels.

From the MAX parts fiche,

[​IMG]
  10. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kanister Quick Quit as and alternative to Canister removal:

Please refer to post #3:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859172

It's possible to get the benefits of canister removal (keeping carbon out of the tank, preventing tank and engine damage from resulting from malfunctioning EVAP) by just by-passing canister.

No mater what you decide there are two important things to remember:

1. locate the tank vent exiting the tank and insure that it is vented directly to the atmosphere, preferably to the rear of the mc

2. vacuum connection to the TB must be plugged.

3. If you discover vacuum or pressure inside the tank at any time then stop riding until the tank vent is clear.

In step two above all components are left in place during Kanister Quick Qwit. Apply a jumper on the canister drain port to the port that use to connect to the tank vent. Leave the vacuum hoses connected from the TB to canister. Do not mess with any lines going to the purge valve. No need to cap anything and of course no caps to leak or fall off.

How it works:
    When Motronic opens the Purge valve, vacuum from the TB's is connected to a now sealed kanister so no engine vacuum is lost. Neither carbon dust nor water can exit canister to end up in the tank or the TB's.

The tank breathes freely just as tanks have since the mc was invented. If the mc lays over the OPD device inside the tank prevents excess liquid fuel from outflowing through the tank vent hose just as it did before.

If you ever wish to reconnect the EVAP system for inspection (or to save polar bears from drowning) all you need to do is remove the vacuum jumper from canister and reconnect the hoses.

I like to extend my tank vent from where it was connected to canister to just behind the license plate. I reduce the diameter to thinner nylon which is all you need for venting.

On newer models with kanister up front you can extend the vent all the way from canister to the rear. When you later remove the tank or have access directly to the tank vent port this line can be shortened.

Some riders will actually rig an overflow container to collect expanding fuel or fuel that exits the vent during accidental over-filling of the tank.

Just like in the past, if there is no EVAP then the mc should not be fueled just prior to parking, especially if it will be parked near an ignition source such as a water heater.