R1200GSw LC Wethead Final Drive change and Spline Lube Pictorial!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Mar 11, 2016.

1. bikermd

bikermd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    built off road vehicles for friends and was active in 4 wheeling. Learned that there is no such thing as waterproof. If not sealed by a real seal water will get in and if no out do plenty of damage. We need a weep hole on our drive shaft boots to let it out. Even tranny's/diff's need there oil changed when done wheeling.
  2. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I clean and lube the FD splines at every other oil change, as well as change the FD fluid. As others have learned, it's really very easy to do and other than a little cost and labor (beer included), there's no down side.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  3. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I checked my '14 GSW's FD splines at 12k miles they were fine, with some lube from original BMW build still present. I then applied the same Guard Dog moly lube that I used on my '07 GSA's clutch splines and driveshaft splines, and those splines all still had a nice lube coating present when I pulled the GSA's gearbox again 68k miles later.

Just wondered if anyone who lubed their GSW FD input splines has ever actually seen an issue when checking them again later, regardless of the mileage interval.
  4. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may be coincidence, but now that I've lubed my splines I no longer feel the clunk through the pegs. At first I thought it was a fluke, but I've been doing everything I can to make it clunk and I can't.
    AdamChandler and toowoomba like this.
  5. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting! I'll have to pay attention to that cause I too just did the spines. If you figured out that a proper spline lube is the solution to getting rid of the "clunk" then BMW owes you a new bike every year for the rest of your life and one for me too - just because.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is possible your clunk was the driveshaft popping on and off the forward shaft circlip since it was rust welded to the rear spline, which should move instead of the front spline.
  7. Dogslobber

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I did a couple hundred miles this past weekend and didn't feel any clunking and before it was a very noticeable feel.
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It fits here, in the groove:
    upload_2019-4-10_15-48-47.png

This is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Phil8dirt and toowoomba like this.
  9. Dogslobber

Oddometer:
    sorry my post posted before I finished tying.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  10. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Good for others anyhow. :-)
    Dogslobber likes this.
  11. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still think BMW needs to provide us with new bikes every year for potentially solving the mystery clunk - Dogslobber, JVB and me. Hmmm, there's a song in there somewhere - not a good song, but a song nonetheless. I did take mine out today and hit some expansion joints and grooves in the road - nada, nyet, zip. Not one clunk. Coincidence number two.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  12. Dogslobber

Oddometer:

I REALLY hope we've solved it!
    toowoomba likes this.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Has to be a country song! :-)
    Dogslobber and toowoomba like this.
  14. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    227097F0-B290-4E18-9F97-FC22A74D63DC.jpeg F3EB502E-5E65-4DBD-A790-76135D10E859.jpeg

Checked and lubed my splines today. 2017 GSA with 2400 miles. Doesn’t look too bad.
    toowoomba likes this.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    A little dry. Needs some rust inhibitor on the shaft.
  16. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yep I used that fluid film stuff from Napa and liqui moly paste for the splines.
    toowoomba and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I posted a year ago, on my 2015 GS the shaft and splines were rusty, and I described how I took care of it.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/r120...-lube-pictorial.1129815/page-33#post-35138416

That prompted me to also check the shaft on my 2007 K1200, with 39K miles on it. Interestingly, I found no rust whatsoever, although the splines were dry. I lubed them with moly paste and put everything together. I think that on this bike the rubber boots seal much better than on the 2015 GS. Anyone can confirm my opinion?
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I think you are mostly right. The problem is, the boot lets in a little water, but won't let it out.
  19. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    '14 GSA, 17,500 miles (purchased used at 12,000 miles in November) heading to Alaska for 6-8 weeks in June, decided to check the Shaft as it is snowing here today. Rear popped off easy, no lube evident, some rust on rear shaft and splines. I want to pull the shaft but for the life of me, I can't get it to come loose on the transmission end. I've sprayed penetrating oil into the splines, jacked up the swing arm a few inches to straighten out the pull, tried prying and used a jury-rigged slide hammer with no luck so far. Any suggestions? 20190430_102353 Final Drive 2.jpg 20190430_102421 Final Drive1.jpg
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That is a lot of rust.

Your best bet is to pull back the upper boot and pry it out. My guess is your upper is nearly as rusty as your lower.