R1200GSw LC Wethead Final Drive change and Spline Lube Pictorial!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Mar 11, 2016.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It doesn't really matter. I have done it both ways. The only difference is if the shaft is stuck to the FD. Then in gear is better. Mounting it back up is more personal preference than anything.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Jim can do it, he can teach most anyone else out to do it too.

If I can do it, literally anyone else can do it with zero skills.

There are times I get stuck and bug Jim and that's the stuff that you really should buy his DVDs or get some help from a friend. I'm really good at documentation but still a proud n00b and learning a lot as I go.
    The Opa, Dogslobber and JimVonBaden like this.
  3. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just pulled my shaft, then cleaned and lubed it. Last time I checked was in August of 17 (post 493). 5000 miles then and 9400 now.
    It looked good on both ends. I replaced both boots while I had the shaft out.

20190624_164948.jpg 20190624_165024.jpg 20190624_173138.jpg 20190624_173157.jpg
  4. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to the question about in gear or not for alignment. I found it easiest to leave the motor in gear while turning the rear brake rotor to rotate the drive for alignment
    Jbrjbr21 likes this.
  5. Bigisland78

Bigisland78 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ive just done this to mine 03/16 ordered 12/15 shaft was clean/painted ? lube evident i was happy i left the gears in neutral and rotated shaft then final drive to get them back together a bit fiddly but ok i relubed, cleaned a bit of dust only the bikes at 69000 ks some wet days some water crossings but hey its dry down here in Oz cheers
  6. herdygerdy

herdygerdy n00b

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my new to me R1200R on Saturday and loving this bike (~6,000 kms, first registered late DEC15). It's my first ever Beemer. For peace of mind, I'd like to inspect and lube the splines and check the DS for rust anyway - lube early, lube often. I'm keen to do learn and do as much preventative and normal maintenance as possible.

Perhaps a noob question but is doing the lube of the splines and DS/FD rust check the same on the Roadster as it is on the GS series which seem to be the most documented in this excellent, confidence-inspiring thread? And HUGE kudos to JVB for doing this and being so very patient with many respondents.
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is the same, except pulling the driveshaft requires you to disconnect the rear shock to get the driveshaft at the same angle to pull it out. If you just want to inspect the final drive end, it is exactly the same. IMHO, pulling the shaft to inspect the transmission end should not be necessary on your bike.
  8. herdygerdy

herdygerdy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you Jim, appreciate your time. I'll post pics of the findings/results as it may be of value to others to see the condition of DS & splines on such a low km bike 2016 , esp. with the wide variation of condition and usage we see documented here.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190708_182403.jpg
    No water crossing and yes a lot of rain riding. Cleaned it out and lubed. Still see the rust from when i first tok a look at 8200km. And now at 16000km not so bad but irritates me. Does the lithium grease on the boot really help? I didn't really see any but well its there.
  10. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you looked at it at 8200 KM, did you grease it? Is that rust new since then? I ask only because even if you had water intrusion issues, a good coating of grease should have prevented any rust from developing.
  11. Kidder

Kidder Poser Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this is a late response, but what about those that ride a lot of 2up? They weigh around 350# and should be in the 2up mode with luggage.

@JimVonBaden, any thoughts on this one?
  12. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    That does not look too bad. The biggest thing is it is wet. It is not dry rusted! Just think if you never did it? Most never will. At the 18K coming up I am going to do the transmission splines and revisit the final drive.
  13. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After about a hour cleaning a trying to get every cavity it looked good. I will try my best to do very often but not wait to valve check. My winter project is to get the shaft out and lube both ends. Long enough time to get the front to fit before End of April
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It does, it helps to seal the boot against water intrusion!
    Huzband likes this.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    At my 12K. Still well lubed, with a tiny amount of surface rust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. TURBOBOB50

TURBOBOB50 studd muffin

Oddometer:
    If someone can direct me to the "How to post photos on ADVrider", I will post photos on why everyone needs to perform this spline lube. I did not perform the spline lube and I'm looking at a $$$ disaster right now. I have a 2014 BMW R1200GSA WC with 32,400 miles (approx.) & have owned it from new. And the bike is out of warranty. I've never done any deep water crossings but I have ridden in the rain several times. The whole area is extremely rusty & the male and female splines are stripped. I had to get a rollback ride back home to Staunton, VA this past Saturday, the 13th, after visiting Ingalls Field in Bath County, VA for the Car show & Airshow.

I am otherwise very meticulous when it comes to maintenance on any of my vehicles. I'm guessing BMW Corporate will not be any help.
  17. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    @TURBOBOB50 - At the bottom of the page, at the bottom right of the box where you typed the text for your post, are three orange tabs. Click the center one that reads "Upload Pic or GPS Track", then from the window that opens select the pictures from your computer or phone that you'd like to attach and select if you want them to be full size or thumbnails (which will expand for a viewer if they click on the thumbnail).

Sucks to hear about your splines, and good luck possibly getting some goodwill warranty from BMW. They really screwed up on this one.
  18. TURBOBOB50

TURBOBOB50 studd muffin

Oddometer:
    So here are the photos I promised. I am really disgusted at this point. I also own an R1150GS which I've put 80,000 miles on with no problems & is still running strong. I bought the BMW's thinking "this is a legendary bike" & I want to be a part of too. Talk about busted dreams.

SAM_3692 - Copy.JPG

Attached Files:

19. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    This really sucks. Your best bet is a used FD and DS. Easily preventable if you know it needs to be done. BMW should add it to the service schedule.
    ghostryder likes this.
  20. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back from Alaska and a trip up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse, a great 9,140 mile run over the last month. 29,200 miles on "Freya" now. Opened and inspected the rear-drive this morning as part of a post-trip extended maintenance, No evidence of water, or Dalton Highway grime or grit intrusion. We only had three days of rain on the trip but the day going up the Dalton was a slog from Atigun Pass to Deadhorse, heavy Rain, lots of mud and slop. I was pleased to see that there was no residual crap in the swingarm and that the seals and white lithium grease seemed to have kept the water out, even through two post-Dalton pressure washings. 20190716_102651.jpg 20190716_102704 - Copy.jpg

This inspection will remain part of my 12,000-mile service routine.
    Huzband, Kidder and JimVonBaden like this.