R1200GSw LC Wethead Final Drive change and Spline Lube Pictorial!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Mar 11, 2016.

1. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    We Live just down the road from several wineries and let them keep our inventory, but visit regularly, or at least we did before corona 19 :(
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. collin228

collin228 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    #1 was to lube the splines and #2 was to put on the gator to seal it. Did I missread?
  3. collin228

Oddometer:
    I assume its just the upper part of the gator that lets in water and no need to pull out the gator and add assembly grease to the bottom part? BTW this is a new 1250 with 3k miles.
  4. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dogslobber likes this.
  5. collin228

Oddometer:
    I was going by Lead Wrists reccomendation on the boot gator and that NBU 30 doesnt have Moly does it and probably not meant for the splines. IDK.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  6. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    Okay, got it!

The important thing is the moly paste on the splines. I haven't used NBU 30 and thought it was for the splines as well.

EDIT: NBU-30 on amazon lists it as spline lube. I (and I believe most here) use moly on the splines and a lithium grease on the boot.

https://smile.amazon.com/Genuine-Lu...rds=nbu+30&qid=1589399106&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Also, when you are refilling the FD, add a piece of 4-6 inch clear tubing to the Final Drive Gear Oil Dispenser and use this trick shown here on youtube. It will keep you from over-filling and spilling the oil!
  7. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, when filling the FD make sure you rotate it until you can see the space between the teeth, it makes it much easier to get the fluid in.
    spokester, Callisto224 and collin228 like this.
  8. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I got this bottle at Beemer Bone Yard..I look in the drive filler hole and rotate the ring gear so the bottle's nozzle aligns with a tooth valley on the ring gear. Flows right in no mess..
    grab365.jpg grab364.jpg
  9. collin228

Oddometer:
    anyone have an answer on this?

I assume its just the upper part of the gator that lets in water and no need to pull out the gator and add assembly grease to the bottom part? BTW this is a new 1250 with 3k miles.
  10. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as you have it apart I would pull and grease both ends. That way it will not ever be on your mind and the extra security knowing it's done will allow even more enjoyment. I did that when I did mine and the FD end had almost nothing on it to seal it up from the factory.
    collin228 likes this.
  11. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look in women's hair dressing supplies at Walmart or any Drugstore. Those bottles are used in dying hair. Cost between $1 & $2.
    Shin1ichi2002 and svtride like this.
  12. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    He's already placed an order with BBY for that bottle and other items.
    bigjohnsd, m931a2 and collin228 like this.
  13. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Honda Moly is for the splines and NBU30 is for the rubber boot/gator...:deal
  14. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Staburags NBU30 is what BMW used for sealing the rubber boot/gator (white paste/grease)... :deal

I haven't had NBU30 handy when I did my 12K maintenance and have used marine grease instead but do plan on getting me a jar of NBU30 going forward...
    Callisto224 likes this.
  15. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Pulling the drive-shaft out and lubing both ends isn't going to hurt but isn't necessary either... If there's a time and inclination, it could be done - I haven't done that on mine back at 12K but may do it one later date...

Majority of the issues seen w rusted splines were at FD end, as that area is more susceptible to water intrusion than the trans-end, so that'd be "a must" while the trans-end is more of optional...:deal
  16. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Theoretically right... However, water can enter anywhere so once you take it all apart, you could use grease on entire perimeter on both swing arm and FD side to make sure there's enough protection for the future.

I don't do water crossing with mine (not yet :D) but am known to ride in torrential downpour if caught when traveling so I want the entire area as sealed as possible - ymmv... :deal
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    We shall meet one day for sure - haven't forgotten our previous chat on the topic... Next time I get to spend a bit of time in Kanadada, it'll be much easier to scoot over to NH from Toronto - need to make sure your "liquid assets" are restocked accordingly, prior to the trip though... :D :clap
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the correction!
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    :beer
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The issue with the boot is that the water can enter anywhere on the swingarm side, but the boot seals MUCH better at the final drive side, so water gets in and stays in. Best to seal the swingarm side as much as possible.
    bigjohnsd likes this.