R1200GSw LC Wethead Final Drive change and Spline Lube Pictorial!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Mar 11, 2016.

1. turnerm

turnerm Long timer

Oddometer:
    My front boot got loose some time ago and I cant seem to get it to stay put. (the upper drive boot)
    I cant get my fingers around the back to make sure all 4 of the clips are locking in.
    This front boot is a problem as water could get in. The rear one is pretty well sealed so it would end up sealing water in.
  2. marcmarc

marcmarc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly, the amount of care and maintenance required from this drive-shaft system is, IMHO, far beyond the one required by the chain and the sprockets. I've just replaced my drive shaft, because it was notchy, I'm inspecting the splines at least once a year, I do feel anxious when its submerged.

Bike with chain is perfectly fine, especially with the center stand. I wasn't bothering me in the past, and it wouldn't bother me in the adventure bike, clean, lube and go. Replace when worn, voila.

Imagine buying a new shaft from BMW, it's like 1200$. On the other hand, BMW manufactured SO MUCH of these bikes, that second hand market is full of parts, so this pain can be mitigated.
    AdamChandler and marc11 like this.
  3. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    You should just sell it and buy another brand. Done.
    Callisto224 and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. marcmarc

marcmarc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and someday I will :-) I just wanted to try the 'greatest' from this type. I was sold on the drive shaft, seems like it's not really that great. Shock absorbers, I was pretty sure, that they are easily rebuildable, as others from OEMs, big NOPE. Spoke wheels, just try to make them straight again, good luck with that :-)

I wouldn't like to ramble here about why the GS isn't what its marketed, that's not the place.
  5. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen, well said!
  6. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or not be a fanboi and point out flaws? You know you can be brand loyal and still point out areas of weakness.

What we see in this thread should not be acceptable for any brand. It's poor design and build quality.
  7. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    A friend with a KTM 1190 Adventure thought his 'Ready to Race' KTM would have a serviceable shock also. Turns out there isn't even a fill port to recharge the nitrogen.
    He did find a suspension shop that serviced the shock after he signed a waiver acknowledging the shock was not made to be serviced and could be damaged in disassembly.
    They drilled, tapped and installed a fill port, in addition to changing oil, seals, etc.
    My 2007 KTM Super Dukes shock was serviceable, but the new bikes are not made to be serviced.
  8. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    My 2016 GS OEM ESA shocks were just rebuilt at 104,000 km. They can be rebuilt.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For everyone with a problem on their BMW there are thousands of us with no issues.

I've had my GS for over 10 years and never had an issue with the drive shaft, shocks or spokes. Fuel strips? Yes but BMW has extended the warranty to 12+ years and it's a minor issue.
  11. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I don't know, Marcmarc ... I usually leave people's complaints alone and they don't bother me, but I think what you're complaining about are matters of preference, experience, and broader production trends. The poor sealing of the boot and lack of a designated maintenance procedure are legitimate complaints about BMW's design and practices - but I don't think your comments fit in that same category.

On the shaft drive - This seems like pure preference. I can see choosing a once-a-year shaft service (even if not "official") over daily/weekly/monthly chain maintenance. I own bikes with both drive systems and don't mind either, frankly.

On the spoke wheels - I think this is a matter of experience. BMW wheels can be straightened, but the cross-spoking and size of the wheels require different techniques than your more typical spoke patterns & wheel density. So on that, I'm sure that with experience you'd figure it out. Just because something is new to you, doesn't mean it's wrong/inferior to other solutions. As an extreme example, I went through the same learning curve many, many years ago when I first went from bicycle to dirt bike wheels. New kind of wheels, new kind of spoke maintenance. Bigger, stronger rim, different techniques for getting & keeping it true. The fact that BMW can just replace its wheels as a matter of warranty policy & manufacturer's ease doesn't negate the fact that the wheels can, in fact, be trued.

On the suspension - Here I think your complaint is fair but is more of a response to what's happening in general than with BMW specifically. Rebuildable OEM shocks are nice, but just aren't as common as they once were. And you can see the trend going from "repair" to "replace" in basically all industries/product types. With suspension, I don't know if it's because for many riders rebuilds aren't necessary given modern roads & modern suspension production, but I'm sure cost is a factor as more and more features get crammed into more and more bikes (and cars, for that matter). I've seen the same shift on Yamaha & Honda, and falcofred pointed out you can also see it on KTM. Finally, and as Pch123 pointed out, the BMW OEM units are, in fact, serviceable, even if not as easily so as they could be. That's more than I can say about a 2019 Yamaha trail bike I'm dealing with for my growing kid right now, which offers absolutely no way to improve the stock suspension. It is frustrating, for sure, but hardly unique to BMW or the motorcycle industry.
    stokerdog and marcmarc like this.
  12. collin228

collin228 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JVB what can be done here? Is there an easy way to reset and seal the upper boot/gaitor?
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no "easy" way, but to make it easier, disconnect the rear shock and raise the suspension to at least level the swingarm. This unpinches the front boot making it easier to reseat.
  14. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Replaceable ujoints with grease zerks would be nice.
    bobthekelpy and marcmarc like this.
  15. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    With plenty of patience and after doing it few times, it'll look easy... :D

If you're doing it for the first time, it may be overwhelming but give it some time, see how it fits together (try to do one half at the time so you understand how all clips together) and you'll be fine... Rocket science it is not... :-)
  16. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    When you say "front boot," do you mean the forward edge of the shaft-to-final drive boot where it mates to the swingers? See what I'm pointing to in this pic below ... is that what you mean?

IMG_0693.jpeg

If so, are you using NBU-30, marine grease, or one of the other options folks are trying? I definitely think the grease helps not only with sealing, but with seating the boot. If you are/that doesn't work, do you have one of the newer boots with the rigid bands that help the boot seat & seal? I think that may help you "push" those lower clips into place as you close the assembly. It can be very fiddly, but I found it doable with the greased boot and swingarm mating surfaces like in the picture. If none of that works, I'd wonder if the clips or boot are bent/damaged making reinstallation difficult, in which case replacing the boot would be the solution.
  17. collin228

Oddometer:
    No I meant the upper boot. the one at the insertion of the swing arm. See below. I think once I add the NBU-30 all around the lower boot it will be very well sealed. I agree with TurnerM and even JVB that the upper boot will let water in and trap it because the lower boot is so well sealed. So wanted to see how we seal the upper.

Annotation 2020-05-14 085918.jpg
    turnerm and NoiZboy like this.
  18. collin228

Oddometer:
    I ride this and the previous GS hard. Mud, water crossing, river crossing even.
  19. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should have been a bit more clear. I meant both ends of the boot, not the driveshaft. Sorry for the confusion, and misleading wording by using "grease", I should have said seal. :beer
  20. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    I just grease the hell out the final drive with waterproof grease. I think the final drive breather is a bigger problem! When I opened up the boot there was water, but u joint and gear were fine. Gear oil was contaminated and I'm still flushing it out!