1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

R1200GSw LC Wethead Final Drive change and Spline Lube Pictorial!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Long term warranty is always a gamble, looks like you won! Usually, though, the house wins.
  2. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    _DSC1161_DxO_raw-2-Edit-2.jpg
    Sadly no, but did get an awesome ride. The builder of our house owned it. There used to 5 or 6 at the local airport and they prept P51 here for Reno air races.
    eri likes this.
  3. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang, that some serious airplane pr0n!
  4. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Pou speaks truth! I scavenged a perfectly good 8x10(?) rug that someone was going to toss, and put it down in the garage where I park the bike. It is really nice to have it both underfoot and when I need to get down to check tire pressure or work on the bike.
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Doesn't anyone replace the u-joints?
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now THAT is a great tip! My 60 year old bones increasingly dislike the garage floor!
  7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    So I shall - ty for the tip... :clap

Matter of fact, doing some mild reno in top floor and I do have carpet as a surplus that hasn't been taken out for pick-up cuz of no-collection due to Covid. I guess I'll recycle it and make it a bike pad that LC will sleep on - win-win-win...:D
  8. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not yet.

The older generation bikes have some aftermarket driveshafts available. with replaceable u-joints, but the Liquid Cooled bikes have yet to see these. There have been several guys on here and other forums that have sent their driveshafts to vendors to have their u-joints replaced but I couldn't find any that lasted very long. As I had the "Extended Warranty" I opted to just have it replaced with a new one. As I said in my original post, I am going to request the old shaft and if I get it back I'm going to work with a local machinist to see if we can't figure out how to replace the u-joints
  9. bigjohnsd

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely correct. Most never use the warranty or sell the bike before the term expires. These are extremely high-profit margin products for Dealers and the Warranty Companies. I negotiated the price of mine down quite a bit before I bought it.
    Mr Pou likes this.
  10. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rides great shifts fine no strange noises. No leaks or abnormalities after a 48mi ride. Calling it done! Now on to the valve check, hopefully that won’t be quite so challenging!

1E6EFB4B-53DF-4219-823F-7A8CD722E7D4.jpeg 04F73FD2-49F6-47E6-8C41-3CEBDA1CE568.jpeg
  11. Dannno

Dannno 200 Miles before breakfast Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Jim watermarks all of his photos if I remember correctly but Jim also has the legal right to request this video be taken down if he cares enough about the borrowing. Some people don't.
  13. Dannno

Dannno 200 Miles before breakfast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the guys videos. I knew I had seen that pic somewhere. I’m sure he asked permission.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    We’ll see what Jim says but no one has ever asked me permission. I DMCA over 12,000 copyright infractions every year.
  15. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow that’s a lot, how do you discover them?
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    https://www.pixsy.com/

It works really well. It has all of my Flickr photos indexed and every week sends me a report and notices are filed automatically if I agree it’s infringement. Only false positives are when I post photos myself.
    Covert likes this.
  17. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    So.... What does BMW want for that chain upgrade on the models it is available on?
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

For now, the new chain is available in size 525 for the two 4-cylinder models BMW S 1000 RR and S 1000 XR. You can also purchase it as an accessory or directly from the factory as an option. Retail pricing in Europe is set at €286.08 (about $342 USD) for the chain and the complete kit including sprockets and small parts costs €425.59 (about $508 USD). The price to add the M Endurance chain as a factory option on a new bike will be €100 (about $120 USD).
  19. bigjohnsd

Oddometer:
    The Sprockets must be just as hard as the chain to make the whole package work.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't much care for the guy in general, but it is no big deal that he took it from a google search.
    AdamChandler and Dannno like this.