R1200LC GSA --> Brake Life

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ejm4, Oct 28, 2020.

1. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dropped my bike off at the dealership last night for service and rear brakes as they were low. The bike has 17k miles on it and the dealership acted surprised I needed brakes at this mileage.

SO... what mileage do you guys get out of the original rear brakes.
  2. slow24

slow24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    16, GS 25K
  3. attila_66

attila_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LC bikes have low rear brake pad life. Since you have combined brake system rear is actuated automatic.
    Also quick shifter is also applies rear brake while downshifting.
  4. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    And cruise control downhill!
    Motorius likes this.
  5. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I changed my rears at 40 k miles and they still had life in them. 14 GSA. It’s strange how brake life and tire life vary so much from rider to rider. The FTA adventures guy on YouTube has 100000 miles on his bike with the original front brakes ! Bizarre. I’m going to guess highway miles is the key to longevity.
  6. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    47k miles on my 2017 still on oem front and rear pads. Too many variables to compare ones brake pad like to another. Your bike needs new pads when it needs new pads...
    Deano747 likes this.
  7. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    3/16” on the front pads at 14K+ miles. Do I need new pads?
  8. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This spec. used to be in the owners' manuals, but I imagine that went the way of lawyers - to hell, or something like that. Either way, IIRC it's 1.0 mm + a visible groove in the friction material. I'll leave the conversion to you, but 3/16" is > 1 mm by a lot.

This was handy... https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attach...abs-sensor-air-gap-bmw-r1200rt-brake-data.pdf
  9. dj402

dj402 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One up, I read so many post on Brake life with their GSA didn’t know what to expect. I also have a 14 GSA purchased a set of EBC pads prior to a big trip, the bike had around 17 k miles at the time. Decided to change them absolutely nothing wrong with the pads plenty of life left in the pads.
  10. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Three sets of front pads each one gave me about 43K. Rears lasted about 36K although I replaced one set early because I needed a new brake disc, it seemed silly to put old pads on a new disc. Both replaced at 86K, front had some life although needed pads, rear was under the limit (pads good but replaced anyway).
  11. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    My ‘17 GSA is at 24000 miles, just got back from a 5000 mile trip out west. Was going to change the original brake pads before I left but I measured them at 1.5 mm (new is 2.5 and SL is 1.0) so I just tossed the new pads in the pannier planning to change after Colorado. I’m back home now and they still measure 1.5.
  12. turnerm

turnerm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forget what the post was exact;y, but in another thread some owner reported a very short life on him rear pads. He admitted he rides in enduro mode a lot. Someone said that the rear pads are stressed more in enduro mode.
    Don’t know. I replaced front and rear at 17k just for the hell of it. The originals will be kept as spares if I do any long trips.
  13. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    '14 GS Adv, Rears really worn out and changed at 36K. Fronts still good at 48K.
  14. virkdoc

virkdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2018 GSA rears go out at 7000miles.....but its here in India where you brake every few feet
    Deano747 and pebkac like this.
  15. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the data on my NAV V and saw this. I assume it is brake activations at a ratio of approximately 2.45:1 Back to Front. So I assume the rears will be work out before the fronts. I REALLY have to work on that Avg Throttle Position number.....
    05.jpg
  16. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    I can’t find that in my Nav VI....
  17. virkdoc

virkdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has to be off the cradle
  18. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    What makes you think the bike applies rear brake when using the quick shifter. I’ve never heard that.

slow24 likes this.
  19. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get about 25k miles out of the front pads, but used to get less than 10k from the rear OEM (organic) pads. I ride it pretty hard with late/trail braking on back roads trips along unfamiliar roads. I mostly allow linked braking to activate the rear instead of using the rear brake pedal.

The rear wear also varies depending on how often you bleed away the softness/extra travel that keeps reoccurring on the back brake.

At 38k miles my rear rotor was worn thinner than minimum spec. A galfer rotor and sintered galfer pad are a more durable and cheap combo than the soft OEM rotor and pad. I replaced the Galfer pads at 20k miles. I honestly haven't noticed any difference in rear braking feel, but I don't do much fast offroad riding where it would matter more.
  20. Rick92040

Rick92040 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2018 GS still have the original front and rear brakes at 28k miles and I ride the crap out of it throughout the mountains near my house.