R1250 Fueling — Wideband O2 Sensors!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by roger 04 rt, Sep 17, 2019.

1. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s some information on the R1250, which is supported by data coming from the GS-911.

As most know, the R1250 has three oxygen sensors: two are in the headers, one per cylinder, located ahead of the catalytic converter. Those two sensors are used for precise fueling control by the ECU. The third sensor is after the cat and will monitor to make sure the fueling is stock (or within range of stock) and that the cat is doing its job. It’s an automated environmental police officer.

Apparently no one has looked at the O2 sensor till this week. A new friend volunteered to run some gs-911 logs and take some pictures in preparation for an AF-XIED trial. The pre-cat O2 sensor has a new connector and five wires.

BREAKING NEWS [​IMG]
    The two oxygen sensors ahead of the cat are WIDEBAND O2 SENSORS. Simply, this means BMW will be able to set a MUCH broader range of AFR targets but they will still have to satisfy the Euro 4/5 guys and keep the cat happy.

It also means a radically different ECU code since the Wideband O2 is programmed, controlled and monitored in a very different way.

IMPACT
    It will take some time to develop strategies to alter via add on or to recode the ECU. And it will take time to learn how to deal with the 3rd O2 cop. And the fueling of the R1250 is probably very good as it is.

However since the engine has to run lean to meet the operating parameters of the catalytic converter there will be the possibility of improvement. But it will take time to know just how to achieve those goals and keep the R1250 as good as it already is.

As a community, we should spend some time and learn the new ECU control system to see what improvements can be made.
  2. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's excellent.
  3. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    In addition to the new Wideband O2 sensors, the R1250 appears to have a throttle valve sensor (TPS) for each cylinder. I'm basing that off the realtime values being logged by a test rider.

What we see in the logs is: a twistgrip sensor, throttle valve sensor 1 and throttle valve sensor 2.

I see this as a significant enhancement to the R1250. No longer with the BMSX be "hoping" that Cylinders 1 and 2 are each opened the same amount. The ECU will know, within the accuracy of the sensor, how much each TB is open.
  4. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, WR250R, R80RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good information. I shouldn't have to hang a XIED on an R1250 (for my riding style) if I ever decide to buy one.
  5. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this will help you any, but DynoJet has no plans to make a PC V

upload_2019-10-2_11-38-43.png
  6. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes a combination of WBO2 main sensors and a third (NBO2) after the cat makes it a tougher project.

I’m posting here mainly to share what we learn from the new bikes.
  7. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, so what's all that mean in terms of the aftermarket Akrapovic header for the 1250?
  8. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    A TPS per cylinder may be a necessity for drive by wire? Check that the throttle bodies do as they're told.
  9. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t seem to remember noticing two TPSs on my R1200 Wethead which has throttle by wire.
    rvt likes this.
  10. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    This certainly eliminates the PCV option.
  11. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rider who is sending me R1250 data has a decat header. I’ve asked him to clarify who put it on because he hasn’t had any errors.

Without the cat, his rear NBO2 sensor has a varying voltage just as it would if it was a forward NBO2 sensor. Normally that would trigger an error. We’re trying to figure out why that’s not happening.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  12. grant123

grant123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if you need any logs for a 1250 with the cat, give me a shout
  13. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    [
    Yes that would be good, but we need to wait for the next Gs-911 software release or for you to become a beta tester of the 911.
  14. grant123

grant123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i assume they are adding the rear sensor to the next update?

I Have ordered an obd2 extension cable so i can put the GS911 under the seat for logging, once arrived ill look at either becoming a beta tester or downloading the latest update
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  15. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sent you my scan file. No errors

Also, my dealer installed the exhaust but confirmed that there were no ECU changes for install.
  16. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would be great to see any variances.
  17. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw your log—as you said, no errors. I’ve got to research what they are doing with the third sensor.

This may make it easier to deal with.
    SidewinderX likes this.
  18. grant123

grant123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any tips for mounting the GS911 and doing live data logging?
  19. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I connect mine on the right side, log to its internal memory, and hold it in place with a strong rubber band.
  20. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    these additional sensors etc (for the manufacturer) results in a bike which meets emission standards. They don't necessarily result in a better bike for the rider.