R1250 GS/GSA Handguards ?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Motorman, Sep 17, 2019.

1. skychs

skychs chuck smith Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went with VPS Barkbusters for my 1250GSA. Durable and better wind protection.

DE7BB288-EF51-4D54-80CD-C818B42C4F47.jpeg
    Russ likes this.
  2. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barkbuster Storm for me. Have used them for many years now on 2012 Tiger 800, 2013 R1200R (wife's), 2014 R1200GS, 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S (wife's), 2018 R1200GSA, 2019 R1250GS (wife's). Never let me down. Or, to phrase it better, when I let one of them down, they held up ... ;-)
    side-burn likes this.
  3. vgodley1

vgodley1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    scottdc, JimVonBaden and cug like this.
  4. cug

Oddometer:
    These are pretty cool. If I had known about them just recently, I might have used these instead of Barkbusters – they definitely look better. Although I think the Storm plastics give better wind protection.
  5. maximo de la maximus

maximo de la maximus Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer:
    Bumping this question again in case anything new has been discovered. If not, then a question for those of you who went the bark busters route; Any fitment problems (with bar risers) or do these seem to line up OK without tweaking a lot of aluminum and switch gear.

Definitely looking for something beefier. I just hit a wild turkey on a tour and the thing blew out the hand guard and shattered the left switch gear housing.
  6. cjoles

cjoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed the bare bones kit from 'Zilla as I haven't decided on a hand guard shield set up yet. As far as the installation goes, very simple and everything bolted right up. I have Rox risers on mine and no issues with clearances or fitment on my 2020 GSA. I was surprised however that the instructions didn't call for loctite. 300+ miles on the setup to date and so far so good.
  7. cug

Oddometer:
    Barkbusters fit just fine, especially with risers. Without risers, they might touch the windshield mount slightly on full lock (depending on rotation I guess). I haven't had issues with the Barkbusters since installing them three bikes and 7 years ago ...
  8. stevef

stevef Middle aged hooligan

Oddometer:
    Has anybody just remove the hand guards? I don’t do any real off road, maybe the occasional dirt road and I was thinking of removing them for the summer. Thoughts?
  9. cug

Oddometer:
    I rarely ever go off road, but they have taken a beating on a few stupid drops and saved more expensive parts ...
  10. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take my factory ones off in the summer. No reason to have them when it’s hot in TX.
    I’ll put them back on in the fall for the colder months.
    stevef likes this.
  11. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Bluetooth Tuner

Bluetooth Tuner Adventurer

Oddometer:

I must admit my first choice was the Machine art guards, but as we know out of stock and CHINESE build, then I looked at the Evotech bar, but because it did not bolt to the bars left me with a half full feeling, you still have that flimsy plastic bit connecting to the mirror that does nothing but look OK, so I went with the Barkbusters VPS, and I have risers on my GS wethead, installation no problem at all, and really the best and most sold bit of kit I have on my bike, and hey guys Australian made, so happy days, my mate has a set on his Africa twin and is always laying the bike down offroad, and he swears by them. :clap
    scottdc likes this.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    China.com since MAM apparently doesn't bother to make them anymore.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bluetooth Tuner likes this.