R1250 TFT hacks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rider2, Nov 7, 2019 at 7:42 PM.

1. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For some reason BMW NA has decided that US-market bikes should NOT have the option to use km instead of miles. We can change consumption from MPG to "metric" (liters/100 km). We can change temperature from F to C. But we can't change distance. It's shown as an option in the owner's manual so the capability is part of the bike, I'm guessing it's just a function that's been hidden.

This annoys me no end because I travel a lot in Canada, at least on the "analog" dash both US and metric numbers were present so I could use them. Now with the TFT having only MPH, BMW seems to have gone backward.

In the car world there are programmers who will unlock features that are hidden in the US market but available elsewhere, or that are only exposed with option packages that aren't on a particular car.

Does anyone know if there are such people exist for BMW bikes?
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC the GS911 can switch it, but you would need it to switch it back.
  3. Rider2

Oddometer:
    Rats, thanks.
  4. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. I live about 1/2 hour from the Canadian boarder. So I go there alot. This isn't really a bmw problem as much as it is a overreaching govt problem. Point being after researching this issue, the law states that it is illegal for a vehicle intended for the American market to display speed in kmh only. No joke. Fucking govt.
  5. Rider2

Oddometer:
    Thanks for researching it. What a stupid requirement.

I remember 30 years ago in a rented Oldsmobile there was an English/Metric button on the dash. The speedometer went from 0 to 160 or some such, just one set of numbers. Going 50 mph if you pushed the button, the "MPH" light went out, the "KPH" light went on, and the needle jumped to 80. How easy is that? It seems we've gone backward, now the "solution" we get is to show kph in microscopic numbers and low-contrast paint on analog dials, big help that is.

My new car with the digital dash has a sweep display for the speedometer and again, one set of numbers. It goes 0-160 MPH (optimistic, of course, like they always are) and changes to 0-240 kph - but it still displays mph digitally in the middle where the axis of the needle would be. Which is actually useless information if I'm in a metric country, why not display the outside temperature in degrees Kelvin while you're at it?
    NorthIdaho800gsa and JimVonBaden like this.
  6. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Yeah gov't.