R1250GS TPS on Second Set of Wheels?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by FunSponge, Jun 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. FunSponge

FunSponge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

I've searched the forums for this topic specific to the 1250 models and haven't found anything so...I could use some help.

I have a 1250GS and am buying a second set of wheels from Woody's for offroad use. Unless there is a much cheaper than dealer tire pressure sensor for the R1250 (Woody's says the 1250 TPS is not the same as the 1200 part...is this still true?)...I'm basically going to build the wheels without sensors.

So, if I go sensor-less on the 1250, will the computer yell at me constantly with warnings etc and become a real pain? Will I need a 911 to shut it up? Or will it dare to let me ride and trust that I still remember how to measure tire pressure the old fashioned way?

Have we found a non-BMW TPS solution that works for the 1250s?

Thanks all!
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    The questions you're asking aren't 1250 specific, although they pertain to your 1250, they equally apply to any bike with TPMSs once the rider decides to install the wheels which don't have TPMSs - and this topic has been discussed quite few times before...
    1. Physically 1250 has angled TPMSs (wire spoked wheels only) while 1200 has straight up TPMSs - functionally, they're the same;
    2. Yes - the computer will "yell" at you at all times and it'll display yella warning triangle w "!" to make it as visual of a pain as possible;
    3. No as you can't shut it up - bike is built to look for input from TPMSs which you'll remove so yelling it is and GS911 can't help you with that;
    4. As long as you're OK riding while being "yelled" at and having yella triangle displayed all the times, you can ride all you want;
    5. Depends on who "we" are? You can get a set of additional TPMSs and then have them set-up so you'll use that feature as it is designed. Or, you can visit your friendly dealer and have them delete ie. uninstall TPMS on your bike (so bike doesn't look for that input signal) and then you'll never need TPMSs...

:thumb
    FunSponge likes this.
  3. Jojje62

Jojje62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can turn off the TPMS alert on my 1250GSA in the settings menu
    eri likes this.
  4. attila_66

attila_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best way to have second set with TPMS sensors is Schrader EZ Sensor.
    https://www.schradertpms.com/en/our-products/schrader-ez-sensor-familyr
    They are fully programmable. You can read your old sensors and program same code to these sensors.
    Everytime you replaced tires no need to program again.
    There are also 90 degree sensors.
    Prices are very nice one sensor like 50 usd
    https://www.amazon.com/Schrader-339...keywords=33900+schrader&qid=1591462465&sr=8-1

I have 2016 GSA next sensor change will be this 90 degree sensors for me.
    FunSponge likes this.
  5. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I have Woody 21/17 sets on my 2014 and 2017 GS.. had buddy a dealership just turned off the TPMS function/ feature.. no errors..

About to do the 2019 1250GSA.. should be same deal..
    FunSponge likes this.
  6. FunSponge

FunSponge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. So from what I can see, I just buy 2 of these and something like the 25082 black right-angle stem kit...then hit up a buddy with a tpms reader/programmer. I’ll run it by Woody’s on Monday and see if they agree. Thank you!
  7. srv256ss

srv256ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Report back findings from woodys please!
    FunSponge likes this.
  8. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 33900 Schrader 90 degree sensor came standard from (around middle) 2018 models, regardless of spoke or cast rims. You can use it on cast rims going back to early LC models, but not sure if you can retrofit the 90degree valve with the sensor on some spoke rims. I was made to believe not, but don't see why it shouldn't be possible.
    FunSponge likes this.
  9. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Are you sure about that? Wire-spoked wheels use one piece TPMS while cast wheels use 2 piece TPMS and where TPMS body is separated from the actual valve mounted on the side of the spoke. :deal

I'd double check that info if I were you as it's kinda wrong - ymmv... :deal
    FunSponge likes this.
  10. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some new wire wheels have 90 degree valve. Some old ones have straight piece, but circa middle 2018 I was told the straight piece can be replaced by 90 degree one. But not on say a 2016 model, something to do with the hole in the rim(??).
    upload_2020-6-7_15-15-54.png
    upload_2020-6-7_15-19-51.png
    FunSponge likes this.
  11. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Earlier you stated that 90 deg TPMS came in '18 regardless of cast or spoke wheels and that isn't correct.

The cast wheels have 2 piece TPMS where body of the TPMS is attached to the wheel through a hollow screw which is connected through a channel inside the cast wheel spoke to the valve (#9-10 on wheel diagram) installed directly onto one of the spoke of the cast wheel:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sooo, if you have cast wheels, you will not be able to mount that 90 deg TPMS - that will work only on wire-spoked wheels. :deal
  12. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Schrader 33900, has a hole to drop the BMW hollow bolt through and can be used on both cast and spoke wheels, I believe. The mount configuration looks same when I assembled wheels. I bought some used cast wheels for my 1250 and was concerned that the TPMS batteries were dead. So I did this research in advance if I needed to purchase some sensors. My TPMS scanner tool indicated the batteries were good. They do work now but I will pursue the 33900 when the sensors die.
    grab396.jpg grab397.jpg grab394.jpg grab395.jpg
    FunSponge, attila_66 and ExodusRider like this.
  13. dtopps

dtopps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done the two wheel set thing. Mostly successful on a 2019 R1250GS. Yes, you can turn off the TPMS warnings, without needing special tools or the GS911.
    I got a second set of wheels, which are a little older (2015 I think), with the straight non-angled valve stems.
    Although the TFT software is supposed to be able to handle two sets of TPMS sensors smoothly, this has not been my experience. It will sometimes recognize the second (older) set but it has been patchy and eventually, the software gots its knickers in a knot after several wheel set changes. Then, even with goading from the GS911 dongle and the ATEQ V15 trigger, I was not able to get the TFT to acknowledge either TPMS set.
    At its recent 20k service, I asked the dealership to reset so that it would recognize both sets. Even using the proprietary BMW tools, they could get the TFT to recognize either set but not both. It looks like the version change in the sensors prevents the TFT software from doing the dual set handling automatically.
    I think that that sensor numbers for older (less compatible) sensors starts with 3, and the newer ones start with 4. If you know the sensor ID numbers, you can manually reset them, using either the GS911 or one of the cheaper dongles.
    FunSponge likes this.
  14. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Led Wrist

I take it back. I was 100% wrong and you are right. It will only work on wire wheels.
    I found out my 2nd hand cast wheel used to be a wire wheel, as I have no other explanation for it.

[​IMG]
  15. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    No worries... The previous GS/A platforms had same TPMSs for both cast/wire-spoked wheels - it's LC platform that brought up the differences...
  16. FunSponge

FunSponge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a TPMS tool with which they have successfully scanned the OEM codes and then subsequently programmed the Schrader 33900 sensors?
  17. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    This tool (amongst others) should be able to do that.
    It definitely were able to read my current sensor, but I couldn't get the tool to program the 33900 sensor. I think because it needed a software update. :dunno

18. Sarge223

Sarge223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just installed the new Autel MX dual frequency in my 2017 R1200LC, had previously done my 2009 GS also. Cloned the previous sensors using the TS 408 tool. Glad to see Schrader FINALLY came out with a 50 dollar sensor, the Autels are 25 dollars with the stems. The new one is very low profile but as the Hall of Wisdom says you have to be careful mounting or running off-road at low pressure. I like the 33900 low profile, guess I will buy one and play with it to see if my programmer will clone it. When I contacted Schrader a year ago they absolutely stated no third party sensor would work with BMW because of their proprietary software. HAHA
    FunSponge and scottdc like this.