R1250GSA: Added Remus Header & Can - Re-map Fueling Options?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Mike M, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:44 AM.

1. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just moved the Remus can from my R1200 GS LC and installed a new Remus header on my ‘20 R1250GSA. Both Remus and Akra websites indicate “we recommend re-fueling” when installing their headers.

I had this can and a Remus header on the ‘16 R1200GS and I didn’t have to remap, but the R1250 is getting an initial (brief) pop on hard acceleration—every time. It doesn’t seem to be coming from the can (the normal popping sound with an aftermarket exhaust), it seems the fueling needs adjusting. Of course, I’m no mechanic so I might be FOS.

I know Brentune offers a remap flash—has anyone done it on the 1250—and are there other or better alternatives?[​IMG]
    NorthIdaho800gsa and gadgettr1 like this.
  2. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Did your 1200 can go on with no problems?
  3. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That “pop” is shifty working.

I hear it on my full Akro 1250 as well.
  4. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes if you are using SAP and hear it it is the "nature of the beast". Even with a PC V tuner it does it.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Older Hex/Camheads were popping on decel and I loved it so much... Not sure what's like on Shifty and if I'd like it but would definitely like to experience it....

How's new system noise-wise comparing to stock? As loud? Louder? Not louder but deeper growling?? :dunnoNeed to keep neighbours happy and make sure not too many lives are saved with louder boxer pipes... :lol3

Side comment: your, I'm guessing Clearwater, lights may be installed too much outboard and that may not be an optimal position if you run out of talent... Can they be flipped for 180 to go inboard on the other side of tank guards??
  6. Mike M

Oddometer:
    First couple hundred miler today, Shift cam characteristic. Probably a little more pronounced because of the full Remus system.

Full Remus much louder (without insert) than on my R1200GS but the 1250 is semi-loud even just with its stock exhaust. I put the dB killer back in. Sounds great to my ear. YMMV.

Lights are subject to drops but that’s the location recommended by Clearwater on the new GSA crash bars. Maybe so they can sell replacements...:brow
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better light location IMHO:
    [​IMG]
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  8. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Ty for your feedback... I ran my full Ti Akrapovic without baffles and didn't find it too obtrusive (nor my neighbours complained :D) so your set-up may be more or less along the same lines... Not sure if Power Commander (PC) has released their enrichers for LC platform but you may want to explore that - I have PC III and PC V on two of my other donkees and am happy with the results. Didn't feel the need to do anything with my '16 while I had full Akrapovic so I left it alone...

As for lights, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with hanging $1200+ lights that exposed. Among others, that's one of the things that holding me back from upgrading to Shifty as my '16 has forward tank loops that serve great purpose of putting the lights inboard and protected when I run out of talent. There must be a way to place the lights forward on Shifty and inboard except that Denali bracket that I don't feel like using - may have to make my own... Will worry about that later if (or when) I get Shifty... :D
    Mike M likes this.
  9. Mike M

Oddometer:
    Jim, you may be right on the Erica location. However, they look to be as susceptible to a drop as where mine are located. On Clearwater's website.....

[​IMG]
  10. Mike M

Oddometer:
    New subject, I didn't test ride a 1250 Shift Cam engine before buying my 2020 GSA. I have lots of miles on GS LC 1200's and I have to say, the popping (really more of a shift cam engagement "snap") on strong acceleration is new. At first, I thought there was something wrong, or it was associated with the install of my Remus exhaust. The popping noise isn't from exhaust, it's from the engine and from what I've heard and read, it's the shift cam doing it's thing. Took my first long ride yesterday on the new bike and there is no hesitation, or any negative effect---except the popping sound. And its really there. No missing it.

Other than the noise, the 1250 performance is a nice improvement compared to the 1200. Also, just as noticeable improvements are with shifting smoothness and adaptive suspension is outstanding--very slick in Dynamic mode on the street. TFT and new NAV VI are also super-nice. Love the bike---pop noise I could do without---but it is what it is.
  11. Toytec

Toytec n00b

Oddometer:
    I personally like the popping noise, my older Japanese bike does it due to emissions egr system and I hear alot of race bikes at the track do it also.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like it, but they are not. The line from the wheel to the handlebars means they will miss on a drop, and less likely if off road. No position is perfect for the light size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for fun:
    Go to 53 seconds