R1250GSA steering wheel lock solenoid switch died last night

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ExodusRider, Jun 27, 2020.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    So last night after having an amazing dinner at Capital Grille down in Galleria area / Houston Texas, I go to start up the bike (a 2019 R1250GS Adventure HP) around 9:30pm only to discover handlebar / front wheel wouldn't unlock.

Initially thought the FOB wasn't being recognized, but the TFT came on, I was able to start the bike. After 10 mins of turning the bike on/ off, turning the handle bars all the way left to lock / unlock it (holding down the start button for a 3 to 5 secs), it was clear the locking switch mechanism was dead.

While I could hear it make noise when holding down to lock steering wheel, pressing it once turned bike on but the unlocking of the handle bars wouldn't work. Bike / TFT came on but couldn't hear the familiar lock release.

Got flathead screw driver from the restaurant's manager and tried to pry the lock pin back while turning the bike on... a few tries.. no luck.

I went as far as disconnecting the keyless fob plug to hopefully reset the connect somehow. I did't have any of my tools.. else I would have tried to disconnect the main electronic plug to the key start button assembly. I could also have tried to disconnect the battery as well to hopefully reset it, but again, no tools.

At the end, just called BMW road side assistance which came an hour later and picked up bike. I told agent about steering wheel locked and can't just push bike onto a trailer.. He says he has let dispatcher know the situation and they will have specialized tools / dolly for this.

Of course, when the wrecker guy comes, he has no idea that steering /handle is locked to left. No specialized tools, etc. We both had to improvise and basically man-handled this thing onto a lift that had an angled lift ramp into cargo type truck. Basically we maneuvered best we could.. pushing bike toward left turn and then rocking her into proper angle / placement by pivoting her on kickstand. That took 20 mins lol...

Luckily was only 5 miles from dealership. Transport folks kept bike overnight, dropped her off this morning at 9:30am to Mancuso, while I got a free Uber ride home courtesy of BMW RoadSide.. back to crib before midnight.. wasn't too painful.. but dam.. what if I was on a ride to Alaska and it went out in the Yukon.. makes me think twice about locking the bike in the wild :p (or keyless for that matter lol).

I wonder if a keyed bike would have had the same issue? I wouldn't think so since the key would have mechanically unlocked the pin ?

Anyone, Mancuso just called and said.. yes, locking mechanism is hosed, they have to order an entirely new start button / keyless locking assembly.. will take 2 to 3 weeks..

What say the expert on what else I could have tried? Have this happened to anyone else?

20200626_230249.jpg

20200626_230239.jpg
  2. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad you didn't have any tools. I would have disconnected the battery for 5-10 minutes. In hind sight though, after speaking to your dealer, it doesn't sound like that would have worked.

Is there any way to get to the connections on the lock? Maybe a little juice to the connections from a jumper pack would release it?

Also, seems odd that the dealer would say that it needs "an entirely new start button / keyless locking assembly". Didn't you say the bike would light up and start?
  3. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer, I put more miles on Uber than I put on my new bike.
    JohnZ, CA-Cincinnatus and ExodusRider like this.
  4. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lube has been the solution in the past...
  5. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with the steering lock on the 1250 but he tried a screwdriver to release it. It seems that if it just needed lube a screwdriver should be able to move it.

:dunno
  6. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, for certain...
  7. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you did all you could, weird deal.

At least you had a good supper!

Not surprised at all that the tow arrived with no special equipment, no one really cares anymore.

Just out of curiosity any chance some aftermarket component may have interfered?

I am just reaching here, maybe some strap or something was causing increased wear on the mechanism, or something broke off and got stuck in the mechanism causing it to jam up or wear prematurely?
  8. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    I parked at a Holiday Inn in Springfield VA last night to attend Jim Von Banden's Tech Day today. I tried to use the steering lock like for the first time, but couldn't get it to work. I'll have to check the manual when I get home. I'm pretty sure it's operator error.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    If you follow the push start button down, the black box behind it houses the locking mechanism as well as the module for keyless recognition. I would guess you couldn't necessarily service that box to get to the locking mechanism.
    Looks to be a sealed assembly. Gonna look at it again but dealer said they'll have to drill out the assemble to install a new one.. same as replacing a ignition / rekeying..?
    Callisto224 likes this.
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    In the past as in previous model GSes w/ keyless ignition or with keyed ignitions?.
  11. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keyless
  12. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Great question!! I hadn't thought of that but I only have a mosko moto tank bag straps around that area . .and maybe the Denali horn nearby. I used flash light on phone to view under the bike and saw explicitly the locking pin. There were no obstruction to it.

But per dealer, it's a defective part for sure. Getting those guys to acknowledge a defective part under warranty is like pulling teeth so when they called me an hour after the bike was dropped off.. it really confirmed it for me wasn't much else I could do but maybe torch cut the locking pin LOL.

Some pictures of my 2017 Rallye just to get an idea what I' talking about.
    The Start / Lock release Button of course..

Lock0.jpg

The Keyless Module w/ integrated Locking Mechanism.
    Under and connected to the start button under the triple tree steering mount. There are 2 security 1-way bolts that would be required to drilled out to replace. I've tried drilling one of these (Keyed) assembles before.. what a pain in the ass.
    Lock1.jpg

The locking PIN where my finger is..
    Lock3.jpg
    Lock4.jpg

Connections to module that you could disconnect. I was able to disconnect the smaller connector ( which I think is the locking cable to the gas cap). I couldn't get to the locking tabs of the big / main ignition connection to the Main ECU. I wonder if that could have released to lock had I was able to disconnect it... but then again, it just really depends if the switch was defective that any voltage change to activate it wouldn't have mattered..
    Lock5.jpg

Ironically and comically, I just got through telling the guys who were dead on not signing onto the Keyless Ignition bandwagon.. to suck it up and move on.. learn how to use it.. LMAO... serves me right :p..
  13. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Most likely.. make sure it's turned all the way to the left.. maybe even back it up abit after hitting the stop, then hold down start button for 3-5 seconds.. should it make a buzzing noise.. engaging the locking pin..
    falcofred likes this.
  14. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    My locking pin engages with .... wait for it .... wait .... key !

Taaaaadaaaaa
    Pabst and ExodusRider like this.
  15. ozcruiser

ozcruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Electric locking pin the bean counters must have missed this on the build sheet. Don’t lock your bikes in the bush unless you want to wheel stand her home.
    rider1150gsadv and Happy Snapper like this.
  16. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    If hypothetically I have been stranded in Timbuktu with a locked steering, I'd have forced unlock it. From what I understand it is not the strongest of mechanisms.
  17. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another item I have NEVER used.

Don't know why, just figure if they want it, it is going in a truck or a van and a locked front wheel is not an issue. I have seen vans and pickups with rigged hoist/lifts that are electric and the bike is still swing and not in the van or truck as they are on the move pulling away with it.

I guess my question while I still have a bit of warranty is, do you use you lock every time? If so I need to start exercising mine while in warranty.

I am thinking it is a one off, just a bad part, and not a trend.

And yes the poor guys showing up never get the information on special circumstance in towing, I mean a furniture dolly would have helped/worked. I have had guys show up and have no clue what they were in for. The best thing is all I have had to deal with and that is like 3 or 4 over the years are great guys who go out of their way to protect my bike and haul it safe.

I am VERY curious if you have been using the lock every time?
  18. ADV Wanderer

ADV Wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I'm camped or just stopped at a remote lookout or something, I don't lock my steering.
    I figure it unlikely that someone will try and push my GSA out of a campsite, plus I'm sleeping in a tent a few feet away. Also if I get attacked by a grizzly its a quicker escape! haha :muutt

If I am somewhere urban or in a hotel or something then yes I'll lock it.

2018 GSA with keyless.
  19. hdgone

hdgone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same thing happen years ago, but it was a NON keyless k1300s. Fortunately I was at home returning from vacation and the dealer experienced the problem before, came to my house, was able to unlock the front end with combat surgery and load the bike on their trailer. Required a whole new ignition switch. I’ve had several bikes since then and remain leery of locking them.
  20. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Who'd thunk it got that complicated? :dirtdog

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And yes, the entire assembly is attached to the bike using one-way-in security bolts #5 so they'll have to be drilled out, there's even starting point to make drilling out easier... :deal

Maybe you can ask dealer to put in regular torx/hex bolts instead of security ones, just in doG forbidden case, this ever happens again... :hmmmmm

That was exact same scenario back in '05-'07 when ring antenna issues needed to be fixed on Hexheads. I did request regular screws to be put in instead of security ones, just in case... Luckily, never needed to deal with it and bike had alarm as a bit of additional peace of mind...
    Callisto224 and ExodusRider like this.