R1250GSA steering wheel lock solenoid switch died last night

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ExodusRider, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Schadenfreude much?
  2. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    The handlebars need to be turned full left (or full right on up to incl. '16) and then press ignition again to lock them, if w keyless... :deal

If handlebars are not full left (or right), you'll hear solenoid buzzing but won't engage as pin cannot come out...
  3. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    On keyless locking solenoids?
  4. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've had an R1200 and an R1250GS (with keyless) that had a similar problem.. bars would not unlock. They were able to shoot lube into the locking pin and get it to release to ride into the dealer. I was not involved in the lubing, but the report I got was that during the repair, the pin was determined to have jammed due to dirt within it. Can't attest to the accuracy of the statement as I never saw it with my own eyes.
  5. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    That's good to know - ty... :beer
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Any idea where or how to "shoot" lube into the locking pin? Around the pin or is there some sort of port / opening ?
  7. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just texted the mechanic who has successfully rescued a locked bars GS. His response was “flood” around the pin with lube from a spray can for 2-3 seconds and then use a hard object that can reach the pin to guide it to retract.
    ExodusRider likes this.
  8. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Good to know.. that's what I was hoping to do with the flathead screwdriver.. guess I didnt have enough leverage or was worried about breaking something.. still has new bike smell you know!
    LAFS likes this.
  9. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You made the right choice, given it was relatively easy for you to get home with the bike towed for service.

My experience only, and I may be totally wrong. I suspect few of us lock the bars on our bikes. If more did, we would probably see this sort of malfunction more often.
  10. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Vice grips undo the security bolt

11. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In spite of my rant in a different thread, my biggest complaint about keyless ride isn't keyless ignition, it's keyless gascap and keyless forklock. Keyless ignition itself, is probably just as reliable as the EWS antenna used on bikes without keyless.
    side-burn likes this.
  12. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't used a fork lock on a bike for over 30 years.
    LAFS and Gezerbike like this.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Highly unlikely in this case - you won't have where to grip w vice grips to undo the security bolt...:deal
  14. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    True about vice grips..plus it's soo tight underneath the steering column.. that even if you got the grip on the bolt.. dont think you would have any luck turning it...
  15. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I normally dont lock my bikes.. when at home or running around during the day... but it was late at night, with it being a new bike and the CV19 crisis... people are in a craze for bikes lol.
  16. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    If you undo the handlebar clamp bolts, you'd be able to move the handlebars out of their position and onto rag/else placed on tank with handlebars turned downwards which would allow for security screws to be accessed to. But not with vice-grips as they're inside the "pocket" on the ignition lock. :deal
  17. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never thought about not locking the forks before, I always have. Last overnite in Spray Oregon there were 3 other bikes there and all 3 did not lock the forks. I was the only one on my C14 which does have the KIPASS system. Never thought twice about not locking even when camping off the KLR. Will re-think this.
  18. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with your sentiments as well. I don’t see the convenience over reliability argument for the gas cap and solenoid steering lock.