R12GS with ADV tank

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SQD8R, Apr 12, 2006.

1. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    So the first big question,

[​IMG]

Will it fit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well it certainly looks like it. I took off my stock tank and decided to @ least line it up tonight to see where we were on this. Bolt holes lined up well. The fuel lines have to be brought 'in' towards the centre of the tank so that they clear the tank but they do not need replacing. The beak needed to come off only for mounting the new tank.

Snags so far.:huh Only one really. :D

This little blue fella aka the sucking jet pump, :lol3 has eaten up the majority of my time otherwise it would have been done by now. I was working to a two hour goal until I met this little fella.

The problem is that on the original tank this part sits this way

[​IMG]

but it now needs to sit this way

[​IMG]

The way the cap lock is situated requires the reverse position for the SJP. It's hard to see but look @ the black on the right and you can see what I'm referring to.

[​IMG]

So I've reversed the hose, easier said than done. The hose has to clear the fuel pump so that it doesn't interfere with the fuel gauge reading. That could be the root of some people's issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now she fits, it's tight but there's give there. Gettting it to sit correctly on the flange is my goal so I want to adjust the hose some more and make sure that the give I've got isn't going to be a break. :eek1

That's it for now, flu is kicking in and it's nappy time. :lol3

I should have it done by today and I will then confirm the fit. :wink:
  2. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Nooooooooooo......who in god's name would want to do such an awful thing to such a svelte and lithe beauty. Personally I like 'em thin :evil

But do keep us posted on progress, won't you :wink:

How many openings are then on a normal tank, I'm confused :huh

Any more thoughts about the Desierto fairing. Think you were thinking of one...???
    I liked one pic I saw of it but then not others. Would make a real adv bike tho in terms of size, presence etc and must come out cheaper than buying the adv itself?
  3. raysuf

raysuf Lost

Oddometer:
    :clap

That is great news. Not that it will happen anytime soon but atleast it can be done.
  4. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Lottery Loser

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread - I will follow it with interest.
    I am especially looking forward to seeing an 'after' pic

get well soon and finish the project!
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geebus SQD! You don't waste any time!!! I thought the installation was for next week!! I can see one of your virtues isn't patience! :lol3

Thanks for the heads up on that pump.. I told ya that thing's a bitch to take out... I'm getting mine installed by the dealer next week..

That think looks MASSIVE!! It's a tank and a fairing all in one! :thumb
  6. GB

Oddometer:
    So, did we need that flange after all or not? And did we get all the parts that we needed?
  7. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    "sucking jet pump"??? WTF is that? :huh
  8. GB

Oddometer:
    on the right side "pod" where the fuel lines are, there's a "sucking jet pump" which is connected in some fashion to the main pump on the left side in order to get the fuel that's in the right side lobes... :evil I think the 1150 didn't have this. Another 12GS advantage.
  9. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Wonder why they didn't just use a crossover tube, like what's on an 1150 Adventure?
  10. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    Why use a simple, low tech but effective hose when you can have a whiz-bang electronic item! :deal
  11. hogmolly

hogmolly Dude

Oddometer:
    Plastic tank?
  12. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Cause it's not a whiz-bang electronic item. The suck pump operates off the fuel return flow. Actually a very simple and elegant solution to getting the fuel from one side of the tank to the other without putting two more fittings and a hose at the worst place for a failure: The bottom of the tank.
  13. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Hey...I'm black...we like'em BIG! :lol3

There are 3 openings on the regular tank too. The difference here is that the right side opening, from the riders perspective, is horizontal, not vertical, on the ADV tank. The right side has the suck fuel pump. More on that later. The left side has the fuel pump. The centre is the filler.

I'm still on board for the DIII. I'll be cancelling my TT tank order today since this is a go.

GB,

Yeah it looks big but honestly it's not bad until you add the trim piece. Then it looks bulbous. Haven't filled it yet so of course it doesn't feel any different.

We did not need the flange but we do need the ADV suck fuel pump. It is different. After last nights 3 hour battle with the GS suck pump I came up with an interim solution. But when touching base with Frank this morning I checked to see if it was a different part number. It was the one thing that we really needed. Go figure, Murphy's Law and all that. Anyway I've got an interim solution and I've ordered the part for myself. I suggested you would want it as well so Frank will drop you a line.

Arch, matey peeps, advman, rdcyclist,

[​IMG]

The suck fuel pump is as rdcyclist says, very simple. It's not mechanical/electrical in any way. Although it sounds it. It's basically transferring fuel from one side to the other, a one way valve of sorts. Basically the hose goes around to where the fuel pump is and equalises the fuel. I don't know why this method was chosen over the 1150 method but the price for the new one is minor so not really an issue. It's easy to install and it does not link up to the fuel pump. In fact the line has to stay completely clear of the fuel pump and the float otherwise it may screw up the fuel load reading. This may be the resolution to many of the fuel reading issues.

It took me about 6 hours to do it but I've never done this before and the suck fuel pump was a 3 hour ordeal, 2 hours fuming while watching Total Recall and staring @ the part @ 2 a.m. :lol3 I could easily do it in 2-3 hours now with confidence.

The one thing I did do was pull the throttle cable out a bit too much. Frank advised me of the correction, pushing it back in and all is well.

Off to take some pics of the final solution and get out in the light of day for a quick ride. :clap Back in a few.
  14. LBZ-GS

LBZ-GS RIP, Frank.

Oddometer:

Great news! Glad to see this is working. Can't wait to see the finished product and I appreciate the kind words. Excellent work SQD8R! Frank
  15. PawnBroker

PawnBroker Banned

Oddometer:
    :lurk

PB :thumb
  16. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    The only other issue I can think of is the throttle cable. It looked like this after tank installation

[​IMG]

and should look like this

[​IMG]

Basically it gets pulled during installation. It's on the kick stand side, and as you can see, just left of the VIN.

During installation I found moving all 6 connections, two quick release, two vent tubes, two electrical clips, to the centre. It's easy to mount them from there and nothing get pinched. I followed RC46's advice about marking the two vent tubes on the right side but when I followed them down they both vented to the street. One is for water around the gas cap the other for excess gas. But the connector still has a 'W' for water despite them ending up in the same place. :huh Maybe I'm missing something, and someone can elaborate on that some more.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic with the side panel just placed on. The mounts are different from the GS so I could not use the faux dzuz fasteners.

[​IMG]
  17. GB

Oddometer:
    SQD:

I want to order that sucking jet pump, what's the part number..:ear I picked up my ADV tank today.
  18. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Now in the light of day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not lop-sided, :huh remember the air funnel is on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come once I get the proper suck pump and a few trim pieces.
  19. SQD8R

Oddometer:

no idea, just drop Frank a note, he's already got it lined up for me.
  20. GB

Oddometer:
    but you were able to make the bike run with the current setup...

Looks good.. huuuge but good!! :thumb